Marilyn

Re: Fly dirt on pvcu frames.
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 10:12:11 pm »
As a fly poo expert I would say that the Astonish slightly outperforms the Cif.  And I am impressed by the microfibre window clothes recommended earlier, which incidentally I bought in Lidl.  Their tinned peaches are great too, get the wife to get you some.   I think we are starting to make progress and I am definitely keen to try the Doktor Power.    Watch this space for further updates.

edd

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2007, 12:07:29 am »
not trying the tfr then  oh well carn`t help everyone ??? ???

I`ve got a new one  :o :o EVANS warehouse cleaner low foam now this will get anything off

Davew

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 09:25:08 am »
Doktor Power also in Wilkinsons. I might purchase a pot today.

Marilyn

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
Have been out in force today and the Doktor Power is very good stuff and allegedly ecofriendly but still doesn't shift the worst brown stains with the sponge supplied.  I have found most of the cream cleaners all work pretty much the same if you use them with a green abrasive washing up pad.  Even my Ecover cream works with the abrasive pad.  I am really trying to find something which will shift it more easily without taking the skin off my fingers and the surface off the pvcu.  It took four hours to clean them all today and get all the stains off.  Incidentally the salesman at the window supplier recommended Vanish, yes the stuff you spray on your washing.  In fact it works really well but there again it needs a bit of elbow grease and abrasive to shift the stains.  In response to V8edd I haven't tried the tfr yet but it's on my list together with the solvent and cream cleaner mix recommended earlier.  I have to find somewhere that sells it locally.  Also my experiment with the polymer seems to be going well, early days but it certainly came off with barely a wipe with the microfibre cloth on the sill I treated.  The microfibre cloths are brilliant for the glass.  Thanks for whoever mentioned them. 

Marilyn

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2007, 08:04:19 pm »
PS Can anyone tell me what WFP means.  I gather something to do with poles and not working on ladders.   

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2007, 08:06:19 pm »
We're learning as well here Marlyn, but if we had to price it, and it took you four hours?

How long did it take to biuld up to needing a four hour clean?

You may have noticed that its not that hard to put pictures on here, press additional options and the browse when you post (but don't write anything else after).

It's possible that the cleaning companies could be interested in you for advertising, because I think what has been discussed meets the definition of really stubborn stains.

Marilyn

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2007, 08:39:07 pm »
It really depends on how active the flies are, at the moment weather is pretty grim so not too bad.  If the sun comes out a cleaned window frame can be covered in less than a day.  I get very despondent so don't always clean them off for a week or two which only makes it harder to get off, like I said before the sun seems to bake it into the plastic.  I have only just cleaned it all so perhaps next week I will try to download a picture or two so you can see the extent of the problem.  Not sure if it will show very well but will give it a go.

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2007, 08:43:34 pm »
Yes your grasp of WFP is as good as any. We argue over the finer points.
When they say trad they usually mean a soapy applicator scrub with the glass bladed dry by a squeegee.(similar to a car windowscreen wiper).
Many use both methods.

WFP is applying water that has been prefiltered to remove all of the minerals and impurities from it to your glass and frames.These systems cost between two and ten thousand pounds, but it's faster, safer, and many consider does a better job.

Your frame is cleaned as a by product and the glass is left with no static charge and no dust/dirt adhereing soap so that it stays much cleaner for longer.

The controversial part is that we leave the windows wet, and some people find this hard to accept.

Marilyn

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2007, 08:48:17 pm »
Don't think that would shift my fly poo!!  Not unless it has sand in it!  By the way I did do the gutters as well.  There are only 6 windows and two doors.   Gutters are easier.  I don't think I will find anyone who wants to tackle the fly poo regularly even though it's a bungalow.  It would be too much hard work. 

Pat Purcell

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2007, 08:53:15 pm »
An ounce of prevention Marylin,  theres an herb that flies hate and will not go near ,I think its sage but Im not sure , Ask any chef ,it keeps flies out of the kitchen , a few window boxes full of the stuff may do the trick
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Marilyn

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2007, 09:03:10 pm »
Apparently they don't like Lavender.  Whole garden in front was full of the stuff when we bought it, should have realised there was a reason.  However, didn't make any difference but you could smell the Lavender right down the lane! 

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2007, 09:20:05 pm »
Out of interest Marilyn, pats in america.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2007, 09:35:48 pm »
another good cleaner is this but the postage is horrendous but shifts any marks from upvc quicker than anything ive tried but the doktor power is cheaper

http://www.fascias.co.uk

goto search and type in cleaner click upvc cleaner

Marilyn

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 09:03:29 am »
I have been on LOTS of fly sites (loads in America) and there are numerous remedies to choose from.  The herbs most popular are Basil, Thyme (which we have growing in abundance, doesn't work)  and Lemongrass.
I have more or less given up on deterrent.  If it was that easy surely no-one would need flyscreens?
Trouble with any plants is growing enough to deter the blighters.  Might be Ok inside.  I have still got a lot of cleaning suggestions to try but will take a while to try them.  Will let you all know when I find the Holy Grail.  Thanks very much for all your help. 
Have just ordered two new front bay windows and a door so must find something before they are fitted in September.  I'm hoping starting off with a new surface will help but don't want to use the scourers on them if I can help it.  I wanted to get dark wood effect as wouldn't show so much but lord and master doesn't like wood effect.  Perhaps I should make him clean them! 

Davew

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 09:17:48 am »
I know, how about a wheelbarrow full of fresh manure every day? Got to be more attractive than slippery window frames. ;D

Marilyn

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 06:36:36 pm »
Hi Guys

For anyone interested I have now got my new windows.  They are still being hit by fly poo but I have been coating them in silicone after cleaning and I can safely say that the Vanish is pretty good most of the time for none abrasive cleaning.  The Doktor Power is really good for shifting the difficult stuff.

Thanks for all your advice guys.
Happy Cleaning
Marilyn

Davew

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 06:51:55 pm »
Marilyn, funny thing is, since you posted some months ago loads of my customers frames have had this spotting. It seems to come off fairly easily provided it's not been baked on. I use plenty of pure water and most spots wash away. They seem to be caused by spiders in my area - all those gastric juices and fly blood I reckon.

Mr.G

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:28 pm »
Ha! This post made me laugh, is it a wind-up?

Marilyn

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:38 pm »
No this is definitely no wind up!!!  And mine is definitely fly poo.  I used to think it was spiders until I moved here.  I should point out I live right opposite a dairy farm with a herd of 90 Jersey and Guernsey cows.  The owners are a bit like the Dingles and are stuck in the 50's as far as farm yard cleanliness is concerned.  The new windows were installed just before we went on holiday for 10 days and when we came back they were in a hell of a state.  I am resigned to having to clean the frames two or three times a week.  We tried soap and water seeing as they were new but that is hopeless.  I will attempt to post a picture before I clean them next time.

quantum cleaning

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:52 pm »
try new windows pvcu woodgrain!!!!!!!

no honest we use diluted TFR non caustic get some from a car valeter  make sure its well diluted and non caustic they will come up like new