Marilyn

Fly dirt on pvcu frames.
« on: July 12, 2007, 07:08:04 pm »
Sorry to gatecrash your site but I am desperate.  Can anyone tell me how to get fly dirt off my pvcu frames. We live in the country and though we manage to keep the flies out of the house the mess on the white windo w frames is a nightmare.  I have tried all the products people have recommended including CIF and the solvents used by window companies to no avail.  It needs cleaning off almost daily and believe me it is VERY bad.   If I could find a window cleaner who could clean it off for me I would love to hear from him as even though the surface dirt comes off they leave behind specs like rust stains.  The only other option is to move but I'm not sure anyone would buy it!   

mark dew

Re: Fly dirt on pvcu frames.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:11:47 pm »
cillit bang

007 or what

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:17:43 pm »
where do you live?

Marilyn

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:18:28 pm »
Cillit bang doesn't touch it either.  Believe me if its on the shelf in the DIY shop I've tried it.  It seems to get baked on as the front of the house is very sunny.

Marilyn

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:20:55 pm »

Mike 108

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:23:47 pm »
I use a 50/50 mixture of 'upvc frame cleaner' and a 'bathroom or kitchen cream cleaner'.  You need to shake the bottle of mixture each time before you use it because it keeps seperating out.  Also, once the 'frame cleaner' has evapourated from the cloth it tends to loose its efficiency and you need to apply some more mixture to the cloth.

It seems to get nearly everything off the frames, including most 'rust marks'.

Good luck.

Mike

Marilyn

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:26:39 pm »
I use a 50/50 mixture of 'upvc frame cleaner' and a 'bathroom or kitchen cream cleaner'.  You need to shake the bottle of mixture each time before you use it because it keeps seperating out.  Also, once the 'frame cleaner' has evapourated from the cloth it tends to loose its efficiency and you need to apply some more mixture to the cloth.

It seems to get nearly everything off the frames, including most 'rust marks'.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks Mike, haven't tried that yet.  Perhaps I should replace all the windows with dark wood! ;)

Luke Johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 07:27:53 pm »
GET YOURSELF A MICROFIBRE, DAMP IT, IT WILL COME ON IN 6-10 HARD RUBS, NOTHING BEATS IT

Marilyn

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 07:32:14 pm »
Hey Mike, what brand frame cleaner, they vary a lot in their efficacy, (thats a good word isn't it)
Can someone tell me how I should reply to your messages, don't know if I'm doing this right

Marilyn

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:40:48 pm »
Hey Luke the micro fibre cloth is pretty good on the newer windows, been out to try it, left some stains but a bit of Astonish with the cloth helps.  Front windows still not totally successful but they are old and probably the surface is more prorous due to previous cleanings.  Think I might try the microfibre cloth with the frame mix recommended by Mike
Cheers

niceandclean

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 07:42:49 pm »
Webseal frame cleaner, its a chemical one, will shift almost anything. You will have to do a search for it online. Have you tried your local PVC suppliers ie fascia boards, trims windows, or even a local double glazing company, this is what they use most of the time. Or the other chemical cleaner that is good is made by Wurth, again will shift almost anything!

Pittmonkey

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:25 pm »
I did read on here that someone uses WHITE "T" Cut on upvc frames.

I use industrial upvc creams and solvent cleaner. The solvent cleaner I use even brought enamel paint off.

Have a look on ebay under "upvc cream cleaner" and go for the trade stuff.

Hope this helps
Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Mike 108

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 07:50:22 pm »
Marilyn.

I can't tell you the brand at the moment because I've thrown away the last bottle that I had - but I bought it over the counter at a local frame manufacturer. They supply window fitters with it. I find it better than the frame cleaners that are sold at most retail shops.

Mike

Marilyn

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 08:00:08 pm »
Wow! Window fitters come with the cleaner!  Perhaps they can clean the frames for me!  Seriously I have got some solvent from New Windows locally but that wasn't too successful on it's own. 

m.b.s.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 08:06:15 pm »
why not try jiff or ciff as it is known now the white bottle add a bit to a damp cloth rub gently they should come off with that buff uf after it drys hope this helps it gets rid of a lot of tought marks for me

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 08:13:10 pm »
Hey Luke the micro fibre cloth is pretty good on the newer windows, been out to try it, left some stains but a bit of Astonish with the cloth helps.  Front windows still not totally successful but they are old and probably the surface is more prorous due to previous cleanings.  Think I might try the microfibre cloth with the frame mix recommended by Mike
Cheers

Hi
Please can you tell me who sells Astonish on its own - good cleaner. Got some included with a pack of other cleaners from QVC once
Thanks
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 08:20:45 pm »
QD They sell everything
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

niceandclean

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 08:28:35 pm »
Are you sure its fly dirt? Chemical/Solvent cleaner will shift it??

Marilyn

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 08:29:07 pm »
I got my Astonish from the local car boot at Frome.  I think I have seen it in some DIY stores since but can't remember where, may have been Homebase.

Marilyn

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 08:35:21 pm »
Yes definitely fly, I counted 200 on the outside wall the other week. I used to think the little black marks were caused by spiders till I moved here.  Trust me you have not seen anything like the mess they leave.  Before we stopped them coming in the house the marks were on everything, lampshades, skirtings, ceilings.  We have 5 conical fly traps in the garden full up.  Living in the country is not all leisurely dog walks in country lanes! All the windows are barricaded with mesh and the rear door with a chain door.  By the way the electronic bats work well.  It is very satisfying watching them fry.