Mike Halliday

Re: Marketing
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 07:58:56 am »

BUT ..... the main thing is volume of leaflets....consistency  of leaflets...... and hitting the right areas for your type of business.

You need to put 10,000 leaflets out a month......... every month.

Volume is the key......lots of leaflets to the same area.

One thing that is sometimes mentioned in marketing circles is dominating your local area, be your local towns local carpet cleaner, keep all your marketing aimed at your town, if it's a big town choose a bit of it (the posh bit) if you have small kids chose the areas where they go to school and drop them off in your van. Be constantly seen in your area, having a very noticeable van helps :D

My van wrap was the best decision I ever made it looks a bit strange for a carpet cleaner but in my town everybody know who I am......mention 'Henry the carpet cleaner' or 'Henry Halliday' and everybody says .....the animal van!  I think this is why my leaflets work better than average, it has a big picture of me in front of my van  as soon as people see the leaflet they have instant recognition of who I am.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Steve Chapman

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 03:30:46 pm »
Think I would die if I were to put out 10,000 leaflets   :o

Francesca Brownles

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 10:48:29 am »
Hi all, Im a newly established carpet cleaner, just preparing my brand image before running off into the big bad world! My friend is a marketing manager and has suggested a launch party to celebrate a few months after ive started cleaning. Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »
Hello Fracesca and welcome,

You'll get a lot more information if you fill in your profile it's a bit of an unwritten rule.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 07:07:28 pm »
A launch party with plenty of Boli and a few b list celebs..... Sound a great way to waste some money :D

Work out how much it will cost then ask yourself "how else can I spend this money to bring  in some customers"

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 07:55:28 pm »
Mike is correct, if you think that you can stand in a room of friends,family and individuals and talk cleaning and get work then I think you may be disappointed as it's not a passion buy industry as such although you could collect names for quotes but imo an expensive way of doing things, selecting your guests carefully could work like interior decorators, building managers etc although if you are just starting out these are people that you may want to use later when you have honed your skills more as these can have tricky items to clean.

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 04:48:42 pm »
I have a couple of sites fully seo'd and getting a fair bit of work from but it is all hard floor.
I have a more generic site for carpet and uph and use adwords spending between 2 to 300 per month which generates work at around 3 or 4 to 1 every pound spent to return.
The question is, would it be better to spend the £200 per month leafletting for carpet uph etc. I have leafleted but found the out lay expensive but it has returned 4 to 5 times per pound spent. But I have had some drops where I haven't had any leads at all. I like adwords because you pay retrospectively but still hanker over leaflets.
Any thoughts appreciated.

derek west

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »
I have a couple of sites fully seo'd and getting a fair bit of work from but it is all hard floor.
I have a more generic site for carpet and uph and use adwords spending between 2 to 300 per month which generates work at around 3 or 4 to 1 every pound spent to return.
The question is, would it be better to spend the £200 per month leafletting for carpet uph etc. I have leafleted but found the out lay expensive but it has returned 4 to 5 times per pound spent. But I have had some drops where I haven't had any leads at all. I like adwords because you pay retrospectively but still hanker over leaflets.

whats your delivery method for your adwords campaign?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 08:30:36 pm »

whats your delivery method for your adwords campaign?

What does that sentence mean?? Sound like marketing speak

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 09:48:42 pm »
Hi Derek I am not sure what you mean but I use the full adwords rather than express and have key words inc negative but it is adverts.
Sorry if that soundd thick but not sure what you mean.
I guess I am asking as I am getting work through the other sites would the £200 to £300 be better spent on leaflets as a marketing medium rather than google? Or are leaflets really a thing of the past in comparison to google? Thanks

Hilton

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 10:35:04 pm »
Depends on your budget, you absolutely need a website presence and ad words when used correctly can bring in a lot of interest.

Likewise leafleting can produce local presence which in turn converts into real customers when done in numbers, I would not distribute them yourself though, it's really bad use of your time in my opinion.

By the way if you are getting a 5 x the return on your investment then it's not expensive and a no brainier isn't it ?

derek west

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 12:11:14 am »
Hi Derek I am not sure what you mean but I use the full adwords rather than express and have key words inc negative but it is adverts.
Sorry if that soundd thick but not sure what you mean.
I guess I am asking as I am getting work through the other sites would the £200 to £300 be better spent on leaflets as a marketing medium rather than google? Or are leaflets really a thing of the past in comparison to google? Thanks

If you are getting a good return from adwords then increase it by upping your budget and changing the delivery method so they show more often.

I've no idea about leaflets, ive never given them a good enough go so cant comment. mikes your man for that.

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 05:41:04 am »
Thanks Derek and Hilton yes youre right but it isnt a guarantee and I have had 10000 delivered without 1 lead which is why I am wary.
When I had a small van it didn't matter so much but I travel a long way for the hf part of the business and wanted to cluster carpet jobs more anyway thanks for your input. Cheers  :)