Lewis Newby

Re: Immersion heater
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 06:39:09 pm »
Should have read whole thread first and not typed so slow lol

Robin Ray

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 05:46:40 pm »
How are you getting on with your new heater? Any updates.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 07:15:37 pm »
Yes it was worth it to me

Have the tank about half full in the morning (about 90 litres) and run the immersion for an hour normally.

Get to the first job and first thing i do if i want the water hot is plug in the immersion while i vac etc. If i am doing a few rooms by the time its all prepp'd the water is nice and hot. You have to be careful as its like any immersion tank - the water will get hotter towards the top first so you can mix it round if you want to even it up but because i drop the tails from the Airflex into the tank, the Airflex mixes the water up as it dumps it back into the tank with the pump running.

I did a 3 piece suite and carpet last week - plugged it in when i got there, vacced the suite and carpets by which time the water was a good temp. Then rinsed through the suite and plugged the immersion back in while presprayed carpet and again water was hot - hot enough to make the brass connectors hot.

You arent going to get scalding hot water from it - but it does help and is better than stone cold water rinsing from a tank in the van in winter.

The insulating of the tank makes a huge difference - i used some immersion tank insulation from Wickes  - made a massive difference in retaining the heat and speeds up heating as you arent losing so much energy in the cold van.

You need to be organised - being able to drop the pipes in the tank from the Airflex helps a lot - no filling up of the machine at all - just dumping which is normally done at a break in the cleaning any way.

I've had no electrics tripping with it and the cables arent hot at all - they are hotter on the Airflex when thats been used.

Its helped me thats all i can say!!

john martin

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 07:37:28 pm »
would be good to add an inline if dont have one already

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 08:13:02 pm »
yeah an inline would then give you piping hot at the wand

Robin Ray

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 08:23:50 am »
Sounds good, I'm building mine later today.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 08:44:26 am »
good luck mate - i'd definitely use Boss White on the threads and insulate the tank as soon as you can

also get the element as low as safely possible

John Kelly

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 03:32:50 pm »
Is it not just easier to run an inline near the wand.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 06:02:26 pm »
the problem with inline heaters is thats another socket taken up in the customers house - the Airflex takes 2, then a 3kw inline on another plug. Thats a lot of juice being sucked in one go

the way i clean i am not bothered with scorching heat like i've said, but something around 50 to 60 degress from the tank is just better to work with

Robin Ray

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 08:01:16 pm »
Well it is fitted. I have mounted it in a spare 125l tank I had around. I just need to get a new fitting for the outlet and insulate it and its good to go. It was very easy to fit and should work very well..... hopefully.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 08:42:32 pm »
nice one - your own onboard heater!

Tony_C

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 04:08:09 pm »
I have a similar arrangement. I only use the tank immersion heater when it's really cold to take the edge off, so the inline heater isn't working with stone cold water.

Robin Ray

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 06:04:07 pm »
Mines all done and fitted up, I have some pics but they look very similar to the others on here. The only difference is mine has an auto fill so i can fill it from my other cold water tank, or from a custys house.  I can either pump it to my porty if its up to 100m away or draw it from the tank if I use the machine from the van.  I was going to use it today but i didn't get the chance to pre heat it so it would have been waste of time. I tested it the other night and it made 100l of very hot water in around  1 hour 15 mins.  Cant wait to try it out for real tomorrow.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »
Tony - do you use the inline heater a lot and which one have you got?

Tony_C

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 04:33:06 pm »
Tony - do you use the inline heater a lot and which one have you got?

Use it on nearly every job. I have the Ashby's V2.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »
which machine do you have it with? do you have to run 3 plugs into the house - 2 for the machine and one for the inline? Do you ever trip the leccy?

Tony_C

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 07:33:44 pm »
Yes, 3 leads,  I run an Airflex Turbo . Heater is usually plugged in the kitchen as kitchen is usually on a separate ring, rarely trip electrics.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 05:57:31 am »
Can you adjust the thermostat on the immersion heater you bought or is it a fixed temperature?

Robin Ray

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 07:55:53 am »
Yes there is a thermostat in the end cover. It is set at a temperature but you can adjust it.