gr cleaning solutions

Vac Motor
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:51:35 am »
Good morning all how long should you get out of a vac motor , i put a new one in last november and it blow already my machine is an extracta i phoned them up but they only give six months warranty had this new motor seven months which cost me £250 .
Is there anywhere else i could get a motor or will i have to go back to them for another one .Or is there anyone around Darlington on here who could help me

thanks Gavin

john martin

Re: vac motor
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:15:26 am »
I know they have to charge and make money , but there is no way you should pay 250 for a vac motor  ,  you have a 7.2" motor , the 5.7" version has the same performance figures  ,  I would get one of these 5.7 off e-bay ( low cost because they come from ameteks European plants , not shipped all the way from Mexico incurring duty etc .
You would need to make simple bracket adjustments to fit and wiring is just unpluging from the old inserting to the new .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ametek-Premium-3-Stage-Tangential-Discharge-Motor-5-7-240V-1500W-/180765040975?pt=UK_Vacuum_Cleaner_Bags_Parts&hash=item2a166fa14f#shId   

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 01:37:38 pm »
Ametek vac motors are rated at 500 hours. So you should get around 500 hours which is around a year worth of use depending on how much work you do.

The new 6.6 vacs are ment to last longer. I have no experance of those tho and your machine definatley wont have 6.6 vac motors lol

£250 seems very steep for a single vac!

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:41:43 pm »
John

Have you tried those vacs? do they last?

Seems very cheap! They usually cost £140ish after VAT. Would hate to buy one for it just to last a few weeks! lol

john martin

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:05:02 pm »
John

Have you tried those vacs? do they last?

Seems very cheap! They usually cost £140ish after VAT. Would hate to buy one for it just to last a few weeks! lol

I have four of them , but i haven't had a chance to use them to be honest  ....

but i did kinda look into they're authenticity , if you jump to the end post on this thread ...
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=146016.0

The reasons they cost 140 etc from suppliers IMO  ,  the ones labelled ' lamb ' come from Mexico , extra shipping , import costs , and the CC suppliers will want to charge whatever they think customers will pay .

Yes , like you say the OP could fit a 6.6 , reason i didn't suggest  it ,  he would have to get vac tube fitted , welded to attach the vac hose , as the 6.6 doesn't have one 
figured the hassle would put him off  ...
there is room to fit two 5.7 in even the small extractas also , so perhaps a twin series install would be an option if he was willing to experiment .

cannon

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:40:20 pm »
Good morning all how long should you get out of a vac motor , i put a new one in last november and it blow already my machine is an extracta i phoned them up but they only give six months warranty had this new motor seven months which cost me £250 .
Is there anywhere else i could get a motor or will i have to go back to them for another one .Or is there anyone around Darlington on here who could help me

thanks Gavin

Hi Gavin

if my memory serves me right you use an extract cx??
just a thought but paul wallace (durham) has an excell, scrubber,vac, solution hoses, wand and hand tool for sale on here for £1000

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »
I no longer fit 7.2" vacs to machines. They are too expensive and the 5.7" units give as much or a little better performance.
You will need three pieces of steel strip about 4 mm thick and 25mm wide. Cut them to length and drill a hole each end one for the motor and the other on  the mounting bolts the old motor used. These will swing into place and the smaller unit will hang on these quite happily. I have fitted 4 machines this way. The vac hoses usually fit ok, if not good duck tape will adapt things.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »
We replaced the larger vacs in our excel about a year a go as was having the same problem and costing a fortune to replace ,

It now has the smaller 5.7 vacs & no noticeable difference in performance,

They were around £50 each of eBay, replaced one recently and it had lasted about a year which suits me fine

Steve

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 08:28:59 pm »
We have a customer with an Extracta machine that eats vac motors. He came to one after Extracta had fitted one and he thought he was being ripped off by them (his words) we fitted a replacement and it lasted about the same amount of time. We then found out that there was a bad batch of 7.2's and reckon both us and Extracta get them from the same supplier. We have now fitted a 5.7" for him and it's been in there almost a year now.

Billy Russell

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »
We have a customer with an Extracta machine that eats vac motors.

I bet he suffers with indigestion!

;D

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »
I always thought that 7.2s were big heavy beasties that never justified their extra cost.
You are only going to get a certain amount of performance from a 1400-1500 watt motor.
Then they come up with a 6.6 but that is completely redesigned and has very different turbines in it.
When I set one up on the bench the same as I do the others and switched it on it blew everything off the shelf above it.

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 12:15:14 am »
Regarding those cheap Ametek motors, I've had about 3 of them, the first one got very hot and stopped working first time out the box, the other two were smelling of plastic and over heating also.  By swapping brushes around I realised this was due to the new brushes which are ribbed and only have around half the contact area on the commutator, until they are sufficiently worn in.

However I have had other similar motors that haven't had this problem but, once you get the brushes right on these motors I think they can last just as long as others.

I've got a temperature gun, but if you don't have one, I would switch the motor on, wait maybe 5 mins maximum and if you're getting a strong melting plastic smell turn the motor off.  I would then try and remove the ridges on the end of the brushes by some suitable method, so that the full area of the brush is on contact with the commutator.

It could be that the motors are designed to run hotter for the first few hours of their life but I'm not sure.

I believe the brushes are the main cause of nearly all vac motor problems, with them getting either too short, over heating etc.  I've had many motors that have taken in plenty of water but after new brushes and a sanding down of the commutator they are fine, plus after taking the motors apart you find the water never reaches any electrical parts of the motor or any bearings. 

Hope this possibly helps someone. If you learn how to regularly change the brushes then I don't see why these cheap Ametek motors shouldn't be alot more economical than paying over £100 for a motor.

markpowell

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 09:21:09 am »
We have a customer with an Extracta machine that eats vac motors.

I bet he suffers with indigestion!

;D

;D ;D

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:33:25 am »
I have a 110v transformer and run motors for an hour on that before fitting. It seems to bed brushes in gentler.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:42 am »
John Martin

Said other motors not spelt Ametek  that were  are for   sale  are the same but  a mis spelling error

Woodbridge do one that I think is spelt Ametec I believe this might be from a diffrent factory .

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 01:09:32 pm »
What transformer is that you use Kinver clean, and what wattage does it have to be rated at?  I could do with one.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 04:15:46 pm »
Just an ordinary builders transformer with two sockets on the side.
I made an adapter with a 110v plug and a 240v socket.
I made a small board so it has a switch to control it with the unit under the bench.

john martin

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 07:26:22 pm »
John Martin

Said other motors not spelt Ametek  that were  are for   sale  are the same but  a mis spelling error

Woodbridge do one that I think is spelt Ametec I believe this might be from a diffrent factory .

Ian , i would have to guess as to the origins of woodbridge's ametecs ( with a 'C' ) but its likely a name they made up themselves , if u google ametec i shows up nowhere else .

Why ?  perhaps if they're  ' ametecs ' are European sourced  Ameteks  , they want to distinguish between those and the lamb ( Mexico ) ameteks so they can charge a premium for the latter .

Or the ' ametecs ' may be sourced from elsewhere ...   i'v found at least one chinese source here ,
http://www.hshengfu.com/hengfu/en/main.asp

Any chinese vacs iv see have black plastic horns as distinct from the metal  ametek italia ones on ebay ...   however ametek and lamb ametek also use plastic horns on some models so u cant go by that .

Ametek have vac production in Italy  , Czech republic , Chile and mexico   btw.

john martin

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 08:49:24 pm »
actually another option for running in at half voltage would be connect two vacs in electrical series for run in period  , provided you have two , although good to have a transformer too .

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »
Thanks for all the replys guys going to have a look tonight on ebay and other site dont fancy payin £250 again once again cheers

Gavin