Rat-race

Starting carpet cleaning service
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:18:31 pm »
Dear clean-it up members
Thank you for accepting and allowing me to be part of this exciting forum.
However I need your very valuable expertise, here it come.
I am currently employed as a professional engineer and hence a good wage, however I feel it has come to a time to come out of rat race and join the hard working earner instead of seating in front of computer the whole day, (trust me is very boring). After exploring different avenue my mind keep bringing me back to carpet, floor cleaning service and I have my mind this is the route I will follow.
Unfortunately I have very little or zero experience of cleaning floors (apart from our house), can you please advice the best start-up kit in the market. I have being thinking of truck mount machine but I am not sure, which one will be better? I will really appreciate any kind of advice or constructive critics.
In addition to my question above, allow me to ask a personal question, how easy or difficulty to make a living or what are average earning for a hard working carpet cleaner? I understand this is personal question please only answer if you are comfortable.
Very kind regards

Susan Dean (1stclean)

Re: Starting carpet cleaning service
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »
you for real ???? stop where you are its that simple , what are you takeing home a month now ?

Rat-race

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:25:39 pm »
annual salary £32500

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »
annual salary £32500
if thats takehome pay after everythings been took off then stop there , borrow some cash from your house buy a loads of cheap houses do them up and rent them out , then pack your job in a years time as you will be to busy counting rent money

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »
annual salary £32500

That much with all the perks that come with being employed, and you want to give that up in this climate. :o
I admire the 'want out of the rat race stuff' but I'd stay where you are.

AshWhite

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:37:24 pm »
I quit my £35k a year job (+ fuel +car) this time last year. I enjoyed my job, but the days and hours were killing me.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Rat-race

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate.

That is gross before tax, take home is an average £450 a week. hence just under £1900 a month.

Can I break even in this game and have time to spend with the family, physically tired but not brain drained due to boredom and 17" screen the whole day.

Rat-race

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:51:01 pm »
AshWhite
How did you cope and which route did you take? Truck mount or portable?

I will like to hear more from you guys, as I believe you will all be my guiding angel.
regards

Kev Loomes

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:31 pm »
I would take Susans/Neils advice, your far better off where you are. This industry is hard enough regardless if your new or been going for a while, and and there are cleaners out there going bust.

You'll have no holidays, you cant go sick and you'll be busting a gut to get anywhere near what your earning now.

You would probably need to have sales of approx 5k every single month (which is virtually impossible as a new start) to end up with a net profit - to match your current 24k wages.

Then factor in investment of Truckmount that you mentioned, van, other eqiupment etc (20-30k), you'll be on a loss in your first year.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but better to be honest than sugar coat it.

If you go ahead I wish you all the best.

Kev

Rat-race

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »
Thanks Kev, for your advice. (Just modified my profile to show the name as rat race)
I understand it will be hash, difficult and sometime nasty, but if it continue the way things are in the office I will probably have a mental breakdown. In addition it seem like there is a redundancy around the corner anyway and I don't think I will like to go through that again. 3 months of agony not knowing if you are going or staying.
It was like waiting for a terminal illness result.

But point taken, serious consideration is required.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 10:04:20 pm »
Whilst I too would exercise caution we know very little about the gentleman.

We don't know what life skills and experiences he can bring to it and remember we were all once hell bent on doing what we are now doing and nobody was going to stop us. Were they?

He may also have other assets behind him and/or a partner who can support him.

He doesn't give his age so we don't know about drive/experience etc.

Remember Derek gave it all up including selling his house to allow him to commit to cc. Derek certainly burn his bridges. Has Rat-Race got the "gonads" to do the same?

Rat Race

You fill find if you search this forum many posts from others who have decided to make cc their new career. Go in search. See also how many posts they made and long they lasted. During your search you will find answers to all the questions you first raised. Happy hunting and I look forward to answering your more specific questions once you hjave found out more and realise what is involved.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Robin Ray

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »
You can make more money cleaning if you work hard and can get the work. One thing to consider is carpet cleaning does not produce repeat work for quite a while so marketing really is the biggest investment.

As for equipment a truckmount is a very big investment so unless you are absolutely sure you can get the work I would not go down that route straight away. I personaly would get a top end portable machine which can be truckmounted this will give you the greatest flexability. Something like an Airflex Storm sold by Cleansmart or a Jaguar sold by Solutions Cornwall. Another prority before any actual work is training.

All that said though if I was starting out now I would not start with carpet cleaning as getting a customer base from scratch at the moment I can imagine is very difficult. A service like Water Fed Pole window cleaning is a lot easier to market and produces a customer base which needs that service every month. Once you establish trust you can then offer all manner of services from a solid basis.

All the brst in whatever you decide to do.
Rob

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:18:25 pm »
If you think you are going to be made redundant hang on and get the pay off. This has just happened to my son. They would not pay him 3 months notice as a lump and wanted him to work the time. He pointed out that all he had to do is go through each screen of boat hull fittings and alter one or two numbers for everything not to fit together. They paid him monthly but he left in November and got a good job elsewhere so he had 2 incomes and a lump sum at the end. In your case this would pay for marketing and perhaps a machine if you have not already got one (see below)
Things in general are quiet at the moment- I don't think many of us are flat out, I am quiet as well. Not the best time to throw everything in the air.
In the meantime see if you can go out with someone to see what it is about and then get some training- it makes things easier when you do take the plunge. If you can get a secondhand machine and start playing around with it until the other half gets mad and then do your friends and relations, by the time things happen you will know what you are doing and can think of the bigger picture rather that worry if you are making a mess of things.
32 years ago I started one day a week then built up to full time now i'm down to 2 or 3 days again with a week off every so often.

It is not easy succeeding- the easy bit is doing the carpets- the difficult bit is getting the work.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

AshWhite

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »
My salary was largely commission based (Business Manager for Main Dealer). The last full month of work, they changed my pay plan to effectively cut my pay by approx 30% (although I had already decided to leave at this point, and put a deposit on the equipment) - as it was such a busy period, I earnt £8600 in my last month - this went a LONG way to getting me on my feet.

I read and read and read this forum - one thing I noticed was that in all the TM vs Portie debate, is that Portie users (in the majority) were putting off upgrading to a TM due to the cost, and would they recoup it? - so I kept looking for a deal on a TM, I figured "Whats the point in spending £4k on a portable, when for £7k you can get a TM in a van?" - and that's exactly what I found (and I've seen some even better deals since!).  I've also spend a small fortune on other equipment, training, marketing, as well as supporting me and the family over the last 12 months - if you haven't got enough to live on with NO OTHER MONEY coming in for at least 6 months, then don't do anything until you're in a stronger financial position.

My Mrs works in a job she loves, but the money is pants - but if it wasn't for her, and some wheeling & dealing we've both been doing, I can imagine that I may have had to go back to employment several times over the last few months. One day you're getting a few enquiries a day, the next the phone doesn't ring for a week - it really is that irregular, can you survive with that?

It has put a strain on my relationship with the Mrs, but not as much as when I was never here because I was working 60 hours a week - so there are pros and cons.

Sorry for the long post, it's an awkward decision, and one you have to make for yourself.

Oh, and another thing - If it all goes t*ts up for me, I can walk into another job and start Monday - can you say the same?

Rat-race

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:21:50 pm »
Thank you Rog - maybe the name rat-race doesn't appeal a lot, but, please let me guarantee you and other member of the forum they have nothing to worry, I can understand is not always wise to spill the beans to a complete stranger, but I hope we will be in a position to know each other through the forum.

Thank you Robin, fully appreciated the advice.

Point taken as that is another avenue I can explore to start with (window cleaning).

regards

Rat-race

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:37 pm »
Kinver,
Weldone him, (your son) and I wish him all the best, allow me to ask, is there any reason your are only doing 2-3 days or is it because you just want to slow down.

Ashwhite
Wow, I take the hut down for you. I can probably get another job with a bit of travel or relocation, but employment is difficulty, especially when it comes to family matters when they really need you there but because you can't get hold of the boss, you have to go to the office, and hence the reason why I want to get out of the system.
I am considering to take your advice and look for second hand equipment and probably before resigning try to do it on weekends first b4 I write the letter. I will keep an eye on the deals and also I will book a couple of training to start with.
Thanks for your advce.

terrymaloy

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »
I also left a job on 25k a year. Car production line.
In my situation however, I worked part time carpet / upholstery for 18 months in between my shifts. Hard work I can tell ya !
I bought a portable machine, cheap van, training course, chemicals  and marketing...budget around 6k

The work slowly but surely came in. I also had the backing of my wife who earned a decent salary and was understanding. That was 12 years ago and have never looked back and business is good.

Like any business, its difficult when you first start, and you need to build a business / customer clientele.
Leaving a well paid job to attempt the unknown without financial backing is risky to say the least.

Good luck all the same
TM

mark_roberts

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 01:15:24 pm »
Why did you think of carpet cleaning??  What do you know about it??

The biggest asset youll need is personality and salesmanship.  Two things that cant really be learnt.  If you have those in abundance then youll do fine.

BUT Id wait for a few years until things pick up or at least go part-time.

Mark

PS. you also need a strong back.

Rat-race

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 02:41:48 pm »
Thanks Mark and Terry.
I really appreciate your advice,
Terry, to start with, about 15 yrs I used to run a food business and I think I have the 2 part you mentioned, but I wanted to get qualification and get employed, but employment is not currently working, I get very bored and hence stressed and depressed.

Mark
Thanks and great advice, I think I will go part time to start with, maybe weekends.

Why do I thought of carpet, nearly every home in west europe have a carpet and therefore I think there is still place for more CC.

Thanks again and regards

mark_roberts

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:14 pm »
Yes thats the dream that all carpets will one day be cleaned but maybe 10% ever do.

Thats why you need to be a good salesman and marketer.

Mark

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 09:06:49 pm »
If you are working 60 hrs a week not sure how you can do weekends

You say you are on Commission with Main dealer if its cars or even Home improvements Weekend is peak time.

Looks like you have sales skills just wondering how you plan to find customers

AshWhite

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 09:10:31 pm »
Ian,
It was I working 60 hours inc. Weekends - I was giving my background. It was for the reason you mentioned that I had to dive in head first, quitting my job and going full time CCing.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »
Yeah sorry I got mixed up I think all the Cancer treatment has screwed  my brain

AshWhite

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »
I hope its going well for you, Ian.

Rat-race

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 09:27:41 am »
WoW WoW clean-it up Members.
I can see why you are all very successful, the forumist here have well exceeded my expectation. I have realised there is very high level of honesty and willingness to help, support and advice. I supose you need that kind of altitute to succeed in business.
Thanks all for yours feedbacks.

Allow me to ask that personal question I asked to start with, What are the average paid hours can an average serious carpet cleaner accumulate in a week or hould I ask what is an average CCner earn in a week.
The reason I am asking is because I am trying to workout how to cover the bills.

peter maybury

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 10:03:31 am »
If you make a substantial investment in time, training, marketing, and good equipment then you can expect to get a good return on your labour. If you want to buy cheap crappy machinery you can slog your guts out for peanuts.  There are people on here that spend as much on a wand as another person will spend on a machine it is difficult to put an average on anything, it is a big market place. Before doing anything I would go on some training courses maybe the ncca one to give you a little insight as to what is involved and the level of investment needed. One thing is for sure every reccession there are thousands up and down the country buying rug doctors and the like and calling themselves carpet cleaners. Credibilty from the customers point of veiw is an important consideration.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 10:40:14 am »
However following on from Peter there are many Cleaners who start off with 135psi Alltec , prochem or Ashby machines get the marketing right and make a great sucess and earn the money you requie.
There are others who if you work out the number of hours on their truckmount or portable when in the For Sale section who have not cleaned a lot of carpets or earn what you require.

Ash White  I will publish a Medical Bullitin at some time over next few weeks just waiting for more information

Rat-race

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 12:24:10 pm »
Thanks all again,
My understanding from most threads is to attend CC trainings first before I make any move, right.
Can somebody recommend I good CC training company anywhere around South East, prefferably London or Kent.

Kind regards

Richard Cole

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »
Thanks all again,
My understanding from most threads is to attend CC trainings first before I make any move, right.
Can somebody recommend I good CC training company anywhere around South East, prefferably London or Kent.

Kind regards

Not in the South East but Cleansmart based in Nottingham do a 1 day carpet technician course for around £85 with Derek Bolton who is highly regarded in the cleaning industry, you could also do the 1 day upholstery course for £85 and I believe the courses can be taken together over a two day period.  If you go on to buy a machine from the supplier they quite often refund the cost of the course, they supply the Airflex range and i can highly recommend them.

Ashby's are based in Kent and they do training and Alletec are based in Royston Cambridgeshire and they do a similar deal.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

Richard Meads

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 02:21:58 pm »
There is also the Flood school, in Farnham, Surrey. They run CleanTrust/IICRC training for
both carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning.

http://www.nationalfloodschool.co.uk/education_and_training.htm

cannon

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 03:06:02 pm »
I can reccomend both the ncca course and Derek Boltons course they are both pretty much the same but i do think i got more out of Derek Boltons course, this could be down to taking that course second and things clicking in to place more or because i was quite hungover at my 2 days at the ncca and not learning enough  ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »
Allow me to ask that personal question I asked to start with, What are the average paid hours can an average serious carpet cleaner accumulate in a week or hould I ask what is an average CCner earn in a week.
The reason I am asking is because I am trying to workout how to cover the bills.

You sound like a taxman!!!

peter maybury

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 06:57:33 pm »
personally I would suggest you do the ncca course it is quite comprehensive and you will not get bias towards a particular manufacturers chemicals and equipment. Doing a 2 day course will not make you an industry expert but if you take away the manual and absorb it over a period of time it will give you a sound starting point.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Derek_Walker

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:59 pm »
This may give you an idea on what's involved in carpet cleaning and it is free to register.
http://rc.jondon.com/advice-and-technical-tips/carpet/download-manual-iicrc-carpet-cleaning-technician

Len Gribble

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 08:07:33 pm »
Personally I would look in Jet flushing
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Rat-race

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:34 pm »
Thanks guys.

Len , what is jet flashing?

I am not a taxman, they kill me and I wish they were not there, LoL

Peter, Who deliver ncca course?

Regards

Len Gribble

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »
Also know as POWER FLUSHING looks lucrative (been quoted £450 plus) :o
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 07:18:02 pm »
British Gas wants to charge me £750

But instead we are having Heat Exchanger taken out and flushed by Local Gas Safe Guy.

In addition we found another part that was not working that British Gas did not spot

What anoys me is I have a   British Gas Service Contracts which seams to have clauses like if Limescale travels through heat exchanger or any other part you are not covered.

I wonder what get out clauses are in those monthly Payment Plans Carpet cleaners have

cleantech

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:01 pm »
The best thing about being employed is at the end of shift you can switch off. Then there are the benefits that come with it sick pay, health insurance garaunteed income etc etc. I worked for Dell computers for 10 years and was made redundant although i am happy enough now i would go back in the morning. Working for yourself is never ending marketing, quotes, books, advertising, training, machine servicing stock replenishment etc etc and if you fall ill you are on your own. Be happy with your job and you never know you may be made redundant and that is a good time to start your own business

Rat-race

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 10:57:11 pm »
Cleantec,
Thanks cleantec, how did you cope as a starter or did you had previous experience?
I agree with you completely, only when you have a better working condition, but when you have differencies with you manager just because you seem to have noticed that they are having an affair with her boss and intimidated you to shutup, or when you sit in the office infront of the screen the whole day without doing anything constructive it becomes tediuos, stressful and sometime feel like chinese torture and at that point I disagree with you.
I really understand the consequencies of self employments positve and negatives, and at this stage due to the circumstance above, I feel I am prepared to take a risk and try to get out of rat race. I am hoping to start part time and if all goes well I will go full monte.

Ian and Len
Do you not need to be a plumber to do power flush, I currently have no experience with pipes and water, but thanks, it,s another avenue to explore.

regards

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 12:05:06 am »
Yes you need Gas Safe

If you look at one of my answers about two months ago when someone asked a similar question I did suggest looking at other options . Including selling Cup Cakes ;D ;D ;D

There were some good replies from other contributors so worth scrolling back or using search facility.

This question is one that is asked the most often

Rat-race

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »
I like that Ian, I obvious took it literally.
thanks

Len Gribble

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »
Have to disagree you don’t have to be gas safe, any one can PF the same as any one can hire a carpet cleaning machine. :o ;)

Think hard before jacking in

Rat-race

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 01:20:20 pm »
Ian Gourlay
I really like your website, simple and clear.
Weldone.
We might come for advice in the future.

Rat-race

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:46 pm »
Forumist
Thanks for all your information, which is really preparing to become part of this exciting professional.
I have booked myself to a training with Ashby as they are nearer to me and hopefully I will do basic NCCA in June.

In addtion to all my questions and inquiry, I have another intrigging question.
*Which is more favourable business structure to consider for a starter? I have been reading the businesslink website and they speak of Sole trader or limited company, but I am not really sure which will better suit.*

Please kindly advice.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »
Sole trader will do you for now.
I'd also do some research into your local market as there is no point getting into this unless you can be fairly sure of generating work, espcially in the current economic climate.
Simon

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
Hi Rat-race

where do you live ?...We are from Medway

Have you thought about trying a Prochem course.

Richard

Rat-race

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »
Hi Richard
I am in East Kent, I actually haven't thought about it.

Please give me more information, it might be a more better option because is close to home.

How is the competetion in Kent?

Is it enough for one more CC guy in the village or what we call Garden of England.
?

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 03:59:40 pm »
Hi Rat-race

Where abouts in east kent ?.

Prochem do a 1 or 2 day course in carpet cleaning at Chessington, Surrey.The courses gave us a lot of info ie cleaning tech..stain removal..different cleaning machines to use..Plus the dinners were great to..

Also if you buy a Prochem machine you get a free training course included.

Kent is flooded with carpet cleaners

Any more help please give me a call..

Richard

Len Gribble

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2012, 06:42:18 pm »
Rat-race

Which one are you going on?

You are safe don’t often go there but they come up to my neck of the woods (how can they afford it)

Rat-race

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2012, 06:43:50 pm »
Thank  you Richard
As you might have noticed I am currently on full time employment and things are not going very well at the moment, hence a reason to try to get out of this rat-race system, also a desire to be my own boss.
I understand it will be hash to make the end meets to begin with, but hopefully I will be a bit happier and more freedom than today.
I have tried to look in my area and there not many using the high steam system machines, I have found a couple who uses saw dust (Host and Bona) and or higher the machine from Tesco as they specialize in general cleaning, even them they don't seem to advertise that much, I am not sure how they get customer, probably thro recommendation. If I manage to join CC clue I think I will be a bit aggressive than that in marketing and advertisement.
In one of your thread, you said there is a distributor in Folkestone, what are they called and how can I find them?
You also offered an offline call, when is the best time to call you, I believe you will be another guidance angel as the many ladies and gentlemen in this forum?

Thanks all I really appreciate.

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »
The course for carpet cleaning Prochem Chessington is £90 (last I looked)
It was of the same quality as the NCCA one which was £300 odd but that was 2 days including upholstery, the carpet bit is the same. Obviously Prochem will push their products, which I felt was helpful because choosing products is another mine field. Prochem carry a good range and its helpful that they show you them in practice.

I still use Prochem after dabbling with others.

Forget about your free time, you will be working 24/7, might not actually be cleaning but you will be absorbed in your business non stop. Late at night and on weekends. Especially if you do it all yourself including the marketing. However it doesn't really feel like work. The first couple of jobs will be back breaking and disheartening but then you'll start to slowly figure things out. And you will still be looking at your computer screen... a lot

Be wary of suppliers, they all push their own agenda's it will be up to you to decide what works best, don't hammer away trying to make a product work because supplier X said it would. When I was looking to buy my first machine some guy was pushing me to buy a Sabrina Maxi even though I had enough money for a bigger machine. He only sold Sabrina's.

I would start your marketing research now while you are still working full time. I started marketing my carpet cleaning business 6 months before I even picked up a wand, I wouldn't have started unless I was confident I could earn the same as my full time job. When I got calls I just said I was fully booked, about 4 weeks before I left my job I just took sneaky days off to do a job or two. The first carpet I cleaned was still one of the best results I ever got, double bedroom and stairs 4 hours  :o £50. Then I did an end of tenancy 4 bedroom. 7 hours of hell £250. Now I'd do it in 2 easy.

I've been going for 2 years now, still waiting for the easy life  ;)

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »
Hi Rat-race

The supplier in Folkstone is Dirtbusters cleaning supplies (Gavin).

Any time is ok to call.

Rat-race

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »
Hi Len Gribble
I suppose you are asking which course I am going for? I will be attending the 29/05 at Ashby Sittingbourn.

Richard
I will give you a call during the course of the week. Thanks again in advance.

Warren
Great piece of advice, your are very kind.

All
Keep it coming as it's buildig my confidence, I like you all.

Have a good weekend.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:58 pm »
A lot of people do not like Ashbys  but their one day Marketing and Motivation course is useful if you can write quick . Hope they now produce a handout or manual.
If you implement ALL  they tell you you should be ok.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 07:01:56 am »
Beware buying from them.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Len Gribble

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »
Don’t be drawn in re curtains machine you will hardly ever use it  :'(

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 09:20:59 pm »
Hi Rat-race that ok

Hi Len hope all is well

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03:04 pm »
But you do get to find out about the legend of the door

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 07:41:08 am »
But you do get to find out about the legend of the door

Is that anything like the Navy legend of the "golden rivet"??

Len Gribble

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2012, 08:11:19 pm »
Richard

All well and good but still Looking for Golden nugget (wish I was still in the bank :'()
 ;)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »
But the door is a Golden nugget

Rat-race

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 10:33:53 pm »
Thanks  guys for you very very much appreciated advice.
I have evaluated and valued all the comments and now I am moving into that point of making the decision. I hope I will make a decision I won't regret in the near future.
I have prepared a draft business plan which I will be using to source the fund from the money plays i.e bank. I am not sure if it will be okay to post my list of the items which I need to procure for this process and maybe the will forumist can help me to add some figures in it.
Before I do that may ask for a confirmation from the moderators as I won't to break the rule of this very resourceful website?

Oh Richard just out of curiosity, why do you did you wish you were still in the bank?

Regards

Paul Clapham

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 09:26:59 am »
Rat Race, you are going to leave a job earning £30,000 + PA , then borrow money from the bank to start a carpet cleaning business , !!!!

Stay in your employment , save the money to buy 2nd hand equipment, start working at the weekends, evenings, and holidays, payback to your self the money it cost to buy your equipment, and then have a really long hard think about "is this want I really want to do " ?

Do not , no matter how "stressed , bored , unhappy etc you are in your present employment give up your job, as all you are going to do is replace it with other problems, and have the extra stress of having no money coming in !!!!!!!!!

This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

from edge2edge

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2012, 11:49:42 am »
Gotta agree with Paul  its a little bit like try before you buy.You never know if you are actually any good at selling carpet cleaning services or even at carpet cleaning itself.I find myself not the best salesman doing stairs on a really hot day when the phone rings and wiping the salty sweat from my eyes before talking to some lady who wants an in depth quote......................Alan

Len Gribble

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2012, 07:27:16 pm »
It wasn’t Richard it was me in the bank 8 weeks paid holiday, sick pay, secondment overseas, mortgage supplement, no interest payment on rail tickets

Rat-race

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2012, 09:34:29 pm »
Thanks guys for advice.
I feel I owe all of you a huge drink of whatever your brand is, Coming to this forum have completely enlighten me and now am starting I kind of have more ideas of what it take from the horse mouth, This forum is like an information gold mine.
I agree with most of people whom have ask me to stop of being silly and think twice before I probably jump from pan to the fire.

Let me tell you where I am after listening to you all, I will save a few quids for a few months (maybe earlier next year) and then I will start doing some part time bits and bobs, probably in summer I will pack up.
I really appreciated you wise information and advice, and therefore I will continue to visit the forum and where possible I will add my little penny knowledge and ideas.

Any comment will be really appreciated and probably if somebody hear of carpet cleaner idiot secondhand starter pack going for reasonable price drop us a a notch.
regards
Lawrence.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2012, 06:15:16 am »
I have to concur with the majority here, leaving a good job to set up as a carpet cleaner is NOT a good plan, especially if you have to borrow money in order to do it, you're putting yourself on the back foot to start with.

Save enough in order to buy a good quality portable machine, get some training and start advertising your services, work weekends and evenings to fulfil any work that comes in. 

Carpet cleaning is not like other cleaning, they don't get you back in every week/month, you have to keep looking for new work all the time which costs both money and time.

If you are made redundant,which is what happened to me, then fine, use your redundancy to set up as a carpet cleaner, but DON'T put all your eggs into being a carpet cleaner if you don't have to, there are many good established cleaners on here who are only working 2-3 days a week in the current climate, do you think you can be better than them and find enough work to work 5-6 days every week?

Paul H

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »
I have to concur with the majority here, leaving a good job to set up as a carpet cleaner is NOT a good plan, especially if you have to borrow money in order to do it, you're putting yourself on the back foot to start with.

Save enough in order to buy a good quality portable machine, get some training and start advertising your services, work weekends and evenings to fulfil any work that comes in. 

Carpet cleaning is not like other cleaning, they don't get you back in every week/month, you have to keep looking for new work all the time which costs both money and time.

If you are made redundant,which is what happened to me, then fine, use your redundancy to set up as a carpet cleaner, but DON'T put all your eggs into being a carpet cleaner if you don't have to, there are many good established cleaners on here who are only working 2-3 days a week in the current climate, do you think you can be better than them and find enough work to work 5-6 days every week?

as above

i had savings ... sold my car ...etc.. the start up money  just disappears... whatever your budget ... add some more..then some more..

good luck

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:41 pm »
Rat-race (Lawrence),as other posts say try weekend work to see it works for you..See if you can hire a machine for the weekends from a cleaning supplier (not a rug doctor) and put an advert in your local shops  (newsagents/post office).

Its worth a try...Good luck in the future.  ;)

Richard