Joe H

Re: Customer accused me of property damage
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 08:59:50 am »
Roger
Does that mean if you get say 3 cheques, the date on each cheque must differ as well.
Yes.
They can be paid in together, but must have different dates on.

I would have thought that Phillip, but Rogers post may be read as deposit the 3 cheques over three separate days.

Paul Simpson

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 10:05:11 am »
Thanks Roger, so obviously the gauranteed amount is written on the card, never chequed it before. (pun intended)  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:04 am »
Neil,

My son is a lawyer so I'll ask him to look at this topic and see what he says.

Simon

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 10:22:42 pm »
Roger
Does that mean if you get say 3 cheques, the date on each cheque must differ as well.
Yes.
They can be paid in together, but must have different dates on.

I would have thought that Phillip, but Rogers post may be read as deposit the 3 cheques over three separate days.
Philip, Joe

Technically you are both correct. However, two things to consider.
Firstly, strictly cheques should be dated the same day as issued. But we all know that never happens so in that sense your posts are correct. However from a practical position, you may still find banks trying to "bounce" second and subsequently presented cheques if presented on the same day to the same payee but with different dates.
Far safer to avoid such issues (even if it means more hassle) to present them on seperate days. then there will be no potential for dispute.

Does this answer your thoughts?

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

peter maybury

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 11:48:15 pm »
The  people that are saying to walk away from this issue to save stress are wrong. It would eat me up to think that somebody is pulling a fast one on me    you know whether you did the alledged damage or not. If not stick to your guns there are 2 separate issues get payment for the work done. Treat the other matter a ridiculous and get on with business. Right is right.

Peter Maybury

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2010, 05:55:43 pm »
Hi Neil,  Interested to know the outcome on this thread

Paul
"So basically its a big vax!"

Matt Seymour

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 12:54:58 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum.

I have read this thread with interest.

Only a few weeks ago I cancelled a job because I was highly suspicious of a customer who I thought might be intending to pull a fast one.

I occasionally get customers who want to see my insurance before I start a job, but when I went to quote for this guy he must have asked me 20 times about my insurance, what kind I had, how much I was covered for etc etc. He kept going on and on and on about it to such an extent that I left there feeling pretty uneasy.

It bugged me so much that I phoned him and cancelled the job 24 hours before I was due to do it.

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 04:29:14 pm »
Matt

He may have been genuine?

It may have been the case that he was caught out by a cowboy before who had no ins etc. So he may have just been making sure you were covered just in case you damaged something.

But then again he may have been well dodgy - only you would know that via your gut feeling, so maybe you did the right thing.

Mark

Matt Seymour

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 04:59:29 pm »
Difficult to know mate to be honest.

He was a pretty unpleasant bloke all round really and his attitude made me feel really uncomfortable. He asked me about the insurance countless times, what was written on my receipts, my V.A.T. registration number (I'm not V.A.T. registered) and God knows what else.

It was only a £70 job anyway and my gut feeling just told me to walk away. Even if he hadn't been looking to pull a fast one, I imagine the guy would have followed me around watching my every move like a hawk.

He was basically one of those customers I could do without to be honest.

from edge2edge

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:27 pm »
Matt you were right to walk.Why work for unpleasant people anyway we are self employed and for £70 not a chance.Regards Alan(swindon)

Matt Seymour

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 05:13:38 pm »
You're right, being your own boss means you can pick and choose and I don't have time for people like that guy.

I've had people ask about my insurance before (not as often as the guy in question though), but what is written on my receipts? That's a first.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »
Been away for 2 weeks on holiday, just picking this one back up. I am sending letter saying i had nothing to do with damage and give them 7 days to make payment for the cleaning Job.

will see what happens then.

james roffey

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »
Mat i think i would have run from his door, one of the things i like about being my own boss is i can walk if i dont want to do the job for whatever reason and i have done twice in 18 months of business, once because the place was so full of clutter making it all but impossible and stunk of urine and the other i just had a bad feeling about the guy and did not like him.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2010, 08:28:31 pm »
I agree, always go with your gut feeling. I would rather tackle a house covered in urine and God knows what than deal with a customer who made me feel uncomfortable and suspicious.

paul wallace

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2010, 08:00:29 pm »
I was stung not so long for £140, the carzy thing is I had a gut feeling and even went the extra yard so there was nothing that could be said!  Anyway I never got paid  >:( but what do you do, spend more to try and re-cover?  I thought I wouldn't bother and put it down to experience as they are few and far between  ???

I wouldn't care I did it a bit cheaper  ::)
Just trying to do a Good-Honest job and make money!

John Kelly

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:04 pm »
Paul, its called sods law. Its always the one you do a bit cheaper or throw that extra rug in free of charge that bites you in the arse.

clinton

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2010, 08:31:24 pm »
True john and he has done the right thing and moved on rather than let it get to you,thankfully these are few and far between..

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 08:45:10 pm »
Been away for 2 weeks on holiday, just picking this one back up. I am sending letter saying i had nothing to do with damage and give them 7 days to make payment for the cleaning Job.

You wait 3 weeks to deal with it and then give them 7 days to pay ;D

Neil Grainger

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 07:52:57 am »
No i sent letter before i went away.

Joe H

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:44 am »
I think it is correct to give it a go to get your money.
If they dont want to pay then a letter from www.ThomasHiggins.co.uk in Liverpool for less then a fiver should do the trick.
If that doesnt work, then you consider is it worth the hassle to persue further.