NWH

Re: How do you organise work for your employees?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 05:22:18 pm »
If they have 20 working days a month give them about 13 days maybe 12 days to clean,sick days picking the kids up early and girlfriend trouble they maybe get that done or maybe not 😂. It’s probably coz I’m such a bad employer maybe not but that’s the reality,don’t sit down and think right I’ve got that much for em to clean this week- month and I expect it done coz more often than not it won’t get done m8.

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 05:28:05 pm »
Does it really matter of staff take a backhander though?

I mean if you give a man £200 and he comes back with £200 done, no complaints etc that's all that matters surely.

Staff will take the p, speaking as someone who has been an employee and taken the p myself.

Dane

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »
For a man who’s been there and done it Darren (if you don’t moment me asking) how many staff are under your wing?

Marc Stock

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 06:00:17 pm »
These threads really make me laugh.

NWH, wfp master

There are plenty of guys on this forum that manage and run a team of well-paid, motivated, hard working employees. So why don't you just stop being so negative, just because you cant do it doesn't mean it cant be done, or isn't being done.

Myself & Adam both want to come off the tools eventually. I don't want to window clean in my 50's. I have been doing it now for 15 years and just the thought of another 5 years window cleaning is a hard pill to swallow, and i recon i will be doing it for this amount of time before i am able to completely come off tools.

Odd Bods are doing it no problem, and Lee Pryor, has simply done amazingly in a short space of time, you both are looking very silly with your comments.

NWH

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 06:22:30 pm »
Marc maybe you think my comments are silly and to some they maybe I agree,I can understand you don’t want to keep working but running yourself into the ground to earn what’s in reality no  amount more than you can do with say 1-2 people helping you with quality work,you will build a business with a lot of work quickly I don’t disagree but it won’t be quality work with every job being say for example 30-40+ that takes years m8. Ive employed before m8 still do but not on Windows I’d rather sub windows out at the mo,who knows I’m sure I’ll give it another go but like I’ve said they would have to have done it before I’ve spent years teaching people onlynfor them to then say it’s not for them.

Marc Stock

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 06:31:39 pm »
I disagree.

I wont be running myself into the ground at all if i have 10 or 20 staff all doing the work employed in my window cleaning business. Ill be running the company, and ensuring that its profitable for everyone in the company.  I will also demonstrate that i can run a company and make is profitable, all valuable CV skills.

I'm not doing this to get rich, i'm doing this for stability, for my future, for my sons future. window cleaning is one business i will be involved with over many; i already am partly involved in my fathers engineering business in Basingstoke which no doubt will eventually come over to me when he retires. This is why Bramar Ltd exists, to go into further business avenues once the window cleaning business is ticking along on its own, the idea is to have a number of businesses. For stability. Yes, it would be nice if i make some decent money from it, but its not about the money, its about the journey.

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 06:39:31 pm »
its all about the money....... ;D
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 06:44:49 pm »
adam you ll find your own way of organising employees as you gain knowledge and experience......most of it is common sense....as long as you know/expect that things wont run smoothly at times you ll be ok.....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 06:49:34 pm »
Lol yeah it’s  all about the money Daz big national cleaning companies killing the cleaning business for everyone doing jobs for 1980s prices lol. You won’t build a big good quality window cleaning business overnight you’ll get lots and lots of work but most of it will be not today’s and we will give you a call when we need you again thanks. You don’t need 10-12 staff to net 100k a year for yourself if you’ve good quality work,if you took that pitch to dragons den they’d be out.

NWH

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 06:54:56 pm »
It’s not your employees you need to organise it’s there silly girlfriends with 3 kids from 3 different blokes saying you can’t work tomorrow your looking after the kids tomorrow lol,you don’t need to go in anyway it’s dole day tomorrow 😂,just tell him you won’t be coming in it’s only window cleaning it’s not a proper job is it. First question you want to ask is do you have bills- mortgage etc that’s the first thing I’d want to know if they didn’t I wouldn’t even bother with em,9 out of 10 normally say I just want enough for the football and a few pints,it is cash in hand yeah 😂

Smudger

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 06:57:46 pm »
God there are some bitter and cynical people here 🤪

I have 5 full time and a part timer - getting to the point where I will need another full timer soon

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Marc Stock

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 07:01:37 pm »
Lol yeah it’s  all about the money Daz big national cleaning companies killing the cleaning business for everyone doing jobs for 1980s prices lol. You won’t build a big good quality window cleaning business overnight you’ll get lots and lots of work but most of it will be not today’s and we will give you a call when we need you again thanks. You don’t need 10-12 staff to net 100k a year for yourself if you’ve good quality work,if you took that pitch to dragons den they’d be out.

Tesco made sales of £57.5 Billion end of 2018.

Pre tax profits were £1.64 Billion, thats just a bit less than 3% profit vs turnover, just because its 3 percent doesnt make it crap.

Lee pryor sales are approx £800k with retained profits of around £200k? Im guessing thats a 25% profit....?

So lees window cleaning business is many times more profitable than Tescos.

As the dragons would say....im in

Marc Stock

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 07:10:48 pm »
It’s not your employees you need to organise it’s there silly girlfriends with 3 kids from 3 different blokes saying you can’t work tomorrow your looking after the kids tomorrow lol,you don’t need to go in anyway it’s dole day tomorrow 😂,just tell him you won’t be coming in it’s only window cleaning it’s not a proper job is it. First question you want to ask is do you have bills- mortgage etc that’s the first thing I’d want to know if they didn’t I wouldn’t even bother with em,9 out of 10 normally say I just want enough for the football and a few pints,it is cash in hand yeah 😂

Ahh yeah but we done get that sort living here in surrey. So..

NWH

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 07:23:19 pm »
Don’t matter what area your in pal there’s a council estate round every corner

NWH

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 07:25:48 pm »
Talking of Tesco’s you want to see there Windows you ain’t seen dirt and filth like it,they’ve gone down the national tuppence per clean route too. I saw a bloke cleaning em a while back he looked like he’d just walked out of a hostel 😂

Dane

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 07:26:17 pm »
I take my hat off to anyone who has built a business for themselves whether it has 1 staff or 20 its tough to get to either from the beginning with nothing... it’s not a competition or if it is then it’s only with yourself.

I often think there must be something about having a huge business for people to want to do it and then carry it on..... I also am happy with where I’m at building my business little by little.. I might have a good 5 year push and try to employ full time see how far I get when I turn 30 otherwise credit where credits due to the people with ambition and fairness play to the people who tried it and thought it wasn’t worth it

KS Cleaning

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »
The most annoying thing about employing is when you spend 30 - 45 mins planning next day’s work, sorting equipment, filling water etc,etc then you get the dreaded phone call in the morning from employee to say he won’t be out.........30 - 45 mins wasted >:(

wfp master

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 07:58:58 pm »
The way i always imagined it when i employ eventually, would be to give him a round to do and let him do those same customers for a while.

I would choose the easiest most profitable rounds, and leave the sticky harder and less developed rounds to myself.
ye  & any new customers he gets he pockets the money without telling you about  them.  using your equipment to clean his customers.  nice bonus at the end of the day for him.  its a nightmare & it does & will happen if youre not around to see whats going on.
so this does not happen mr stock. silly me.

Marc Stock

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 08:00:54 pm »
Don’t matter what area your in pal there’s a council estate round every corner

Sorry mate but where i live, there just isnt.

There are ex council estate houses, but these are all privately rented or owned now. But its becoming more and more "cleansed" here in woking than ever. Is really quite unnerving and thats the truth of the matter.

Stoots

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 08:10:26 pm »
One thing i cant moan amount is the lad i have working for me.

I know where NWH is coming from, i had dozens of those types apply for the job, but i think you can or should be able to weed them out at the interview stage with plenty of questions.

I know you shouldnt discriminate lol , but lets face it most of us could spot a wrong un before they open there mouth.