Marc Stock

Re: How do you organise work for your employees?
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »
The most annoying thing about employing is when you spend 30 - 45 mins planning next day’s work, sorting equipment, filling water etc,etc then you get the dreaded phone call in the morning from employee to say he won’t be out.........30 - 45 mins wasted >:(
Been there so many times I know where your coming from,the most annoying thing is when they say I’m on my way give me half an hour and then they text and say I won’t be coming. That’s almost an hour gone out of the day without the planning the day before,you’ve planned jobs that take 2 people so you then have to rearrange that too which is more time,then they wonder why there’s an atmosphere the next time there into work

And there is the problem - in a nutshell

As you say your a father/ son business so have you any real experience of the wider world other than what daddy told you ? - small, medium, large, international companies all employ some do it well some don’t
Many, many people probably the majority are employed and a case can be made for every one of them to have their own business - they just don’t want it !

I expected an employee to last 18 months to 2 years ( from week one we say window cleaning is boring ) yet I have staff who have been with the company 5 years and 4 years I have a chap who left after 3 for “more job satisfaction” 6 months later he asked to come back even though he was earning more - just hated the stress and pressure

I don’t employ to be mega rich, but I did employ so I had a built in safety net for my family, this business provides a wage for myself and wife - we pretty much plan our day to suit us and the kids, recently I spent 8 days in hospital and soon to be facing an op that may put me out of action for 3 months - but I didn’t lose a penny and all the bills got paid because the work kept on turning over - as a single operator where would I have been ? - we’ll short of income at the very least.
I see the business as a retirement fund - seeing as my company pensions are worth jack sh!t€

Darran
And there’s my problem having the arse cos I’ve been messed about,what am I supposed to say are you ok my darling do you need to pick the kiddy’s up again today that’s ok we can do that kinda thing whenever you like I’m only paying you money for working for me. I think not if someone comes to work they are on your time so yeah I do get the arse if I walk round the corner and they are texting or picking there arse,I think so many people get so deep with work they end up having to bow down to there employees coz they know if they offski they are in the poop.

Ahhh it makes sense now. You have just had a bad experience in employing.

Fair enough. NWH your experiences are noted.

NWH

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2018, 01:31:12 pm »
Lol yes that’s all it just makes me laugh when I hear people on here say get 4/5/6 blokes and make lots of dollar it won’t happen unless you are very lucky,my advise to anyone employing would be have a trial period for as long as you can and I mean as long as you can. Make sure they have a winter with you anyone will love this job from March through till end of October.

Stoots

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2018, 02:41:58 pm »
It's pretty easy to dismiss an employee with less than 2 years service so essentially that's a long trial period.

dazmond

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 06:41:46 pm »
i think when you look at the guys that have made it work it comes down to being professional in every aspect of their business.

1.terms and conditions for the employee
2.logod uniform/sign written vans etc
3.flexible working hours etc

most window cleaners havent got the best track record for being "business minded".the ones that do are more likely to make a success of employing IMO.....treating window cleaning like any other business is the first step......
price higher/work harder!

Dane

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 06:51:29 pm »
i think when you look at the guys that have made it work it comes down to being professional in every aspect of their business.

1.terms and conditions for the employee
2.logod uniform/sign written vans etc
3.flexible working hours etc

most window cleaners havent got the best track record for being "business minded".the ones that do are more likely to make a success of employing IMO.....treating window cleaning like any other business is the first step......

True that. If you tell yourself and everyone else you are a “just a window cleaner” then that is probably “just” what you are and will remain.....

I like to think we’re business owners which offers the service of window cleaning - anyone need any windows cleaning while I’m on topic?  😬

Stoots

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2018, 07:06:32 pm »
Its not an easy business to have on a big scale, mainly due to the flaky nature of customers and messers etc.
Couple that with all the mentioned employee problems and the hassle involved in round management i can see how it could be one big nightmare.

Something that im starting to think is essential is Go Cardless, as already i can see my cashflow could be a problem down the line.