Ian Rochester

Competition Prices
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:49:31 am »
Price list of New carpet cleaner in our area  ;)

2 Bedroom Property £ 52 All Carpets Cleaned
3 Bedroom Property £ 74 All Carpets Cleaned
4 Bedroom Property £ 100 All Carpets Cleaned
5 Bedroom Property £ 125 All Carpets Cleaned
Hall, Stairs And Landing £ 25
Lounge £ 22
Dining Room £ 18
Bedrooms £ 18

jim mca

Re: Competition Prices
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:26:01 am »
SPECIAL OFFER
LIMITED PERIOD ONLY
LEATHER SUITES £35
MATERIAL SUITES £35
ANY TWO CARPETS £40
RUGS  £20

and been going at least 10 years advert must cost minimum of £70 per week offer started in November 2003  ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:59:45 am »
Thats what amazes me about these companies the price never goes up

Unfortunately it does not help with price shoppers. Although yesterday I had a report on Window Cleaners who is also doing Carpet Cleaning who ruined a silk like suite and was only charging £25 for the job  She found him on Facebook

rich123

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:20:37 pm »
Yep,
Got a guy started up 6 months ago where I live.
He was advertising '3 carpets cleaned for £60'.
I don't mind the competition, but throwing those
mad cheap prices around is damaging for everyone.
He's gunna have to work bloody hard to make a living.
I believe you should never put prices on your website.
If these guys wanna work for sod all, I guess it's upto them.

Rich

jim mca

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:58:42 pm »
3 for £60 is becoming the going rate around here

neil 47

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:49:39 am »
3 for £60 is becoming the going rate around here

Only you know that and people that only have £60 to spend
IICRC

rich123

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:31:52 pm »
Don't care if the'v only got £60 to spend.
The point is doing 3 carpets for £60 is ridiculous.
And smacks of desperation I reckon.
If you're any good and market yourself properly,
you can get a proper rate for the work.

Rich

jim mca

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:47:36 pm »
Have a look on google search for carpet cleaners in any town you like and see the prices being quoted some of the 3 for £60 in Glasgow are truckmounted set ups and its not that long ago they put there prices up from £50 I have a cleaner in my town doing rugs for £20
and another doing 5 carpets and a oven plus hob for £90 and that's there rates all year round personally I think they are nuts but as some of them are going 10 years plus then they wont see it that way 2 man team 4 jobs a day £240

sandrew

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:08:23 am »
These clowns are making this game hard work.
andrews cleaning services

*Hector*

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:39 am »
These clowns are making this game hard work.

Why is that??

They only make it hard work for you, if you are aiming at the same market as them.

At their prices they are aiming at the scuzz end and price shopper/whinger end of the market.... Is this where you are aiming for?

If not then these "customers" would not be customers of yours anyway, so what is the problem?

Good customers who will be loyal to a good cleaner, would not entertain these low price cleaners.

So in fact...... They are doing you a favour by taking the crud and leaving the cream for you...

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:23:43 am »
I totally agree with hector the only companies these companies harm are the ones who cater for the same market.

The problem is as carpet cleaners we notice these low prices when we see them, so are constantly aware they exist. Joe Public is 99.9999% of the time totally not interested in carpet cleaning, so these prices are not even  registered In their brains .

Often when it comes to getting their carpets cleaned they have no idea these 3 rooms for £60 prices even exist so will accept any price that is presented to them.

Some homes in my area have received over 80 of my leaflets over the years, but until they need my services they never even notice them or if the do they don't remember them. I go to homes who say they got me out of the phone book, when ask if they have seen my leaflet they say no.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 07:56:24 am »
Hi Guys

You don't go into a quality restaurant and think 'oh I could get a cheaper meal in MacDonalds'

It's important to sell your business not worry about cheap offer cleaners, there always has and always will be plenty of them and as have been said they mop up the jobs most wouldn't want.

Cheers

Doug

bennymon

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:11 am »
As one of the posts said some are running truck mounts and 2 man teams and have been going for years . In that case why does charging  more make any of you better than them . And yes I do charge more  ;)

Steve9

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:05:28 am »
I totally agree with hector the only companies these companies harm are the ones who cater for the same market.

The problem is as carpet cleaners we notice these low prices when we see them, so are constantly aware they exist. Joe Public is 99.9999% of the time totally not interested in carpet cleaning, so these prices are not even  registered In their brains .

Often when it comes to getting their carpets cleaned they have no idea these 3 rooms for £60 prices even exist so will accept any price that is presented to them.

Some homes in my area have received over 80 of my leaflets over the years, but until they need my services they never even notice them or if the do they don't remember them. I go to homes who say they got me out of the phone book, when ask if they have seen my leaflet they say no.

You could say in this case where customers are totally unaware of carpet cleaning costs (I agree), that when they do look, the customer wanting to pay more for a quality job chooses the 3 rooms for £60 over the 3 rooms for £50 thinking that's top end.

JandS

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:14 am »
It's only 2 hours work.....
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

John Kelly

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:01 am »
£30 an hour gross isn't enough to run a succesful business. It will give you a wage but if you are putting the graft into running your own business wouldn't you rather reap the rewards greater profitability can bring you.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:21 am »
Have a look on google search for carpet cleaners in any town you like and see the prices being quoted some of the 3 for £60 in Glasgow are truckmounted set ups and its not that long ago they put there prices up from £50 I have a cleaner in my town doing rugs for £20
and another doing 5 carpets and a oven plus hob for £90 and that's there rates all year round personally I think they are nuts but as some of them are going 10 years plus then they wont see it that way 2 man team 4 jobs a day £240

So 2 men are grossing £240. how much are they spending in marketing to get those 4 jobs every day, how much are they sending on fuel for the truck-mount

Every job is a 3room job, what about when they get a single room, this knock that £240 even lower

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 11:37:22 am »
I actually believe the... long established, truck-mounted 2 man team doing 4 jobs every day for cheap prices is an urban myth :o

A bit like the bogey-man children think lives under their beds, but this team are used to scare weary carpet cleaners

..I hear about them every time someone wants to justify why the can't charge a better price

M.Acorn

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25:32 pm »

Bloke near here doing this, also doing sofas for £25 a pop, did start baiting him , but walked away, not competing with him
What goes around comes around