andy east sussex

would anyone be a mentor
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:00:26 am »
hi guys i know its all secrets etc of how to get work im not out to get anyone elses work but would like a mentor on ideas of trying to get commercial work if anyone is willing to give me bit of advice could you email me please
andy@acscleans.co.uk

Phil @ Extreme Clean

Re: would anyone be a mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:57:29 am »
No one better than Simon he's been a great help to me  :)
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

james roffey

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »
Simon

I would like one too "please" i get very little commercial work other than a couple of letting agents that use me, it's difficult to get  :P

Paul Moss

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:26:22 pm »
Save Simon sending emails out to every one, i will attach a copy of the one he sent me. It says

Dear Paul, here is how to get more customers.

Ring more people up  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 12:49:40 pm »
Aw, you've ruined it for me now, i didn't think anyone else knew the secret ;D

andy east sussex

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »
thank you very very much simon

Allan Simmons

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:42:08 pm »
Save Simon sending emails out to every one, i will attach a copy of the one he sent me. It says

Dear Paul, here is now to get more customers.

Ring more people up  ;D

;D

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 06:19:04 pm »
Hi Andy commercial work is great and once in with a big client and registered as an official supplier you will often be asked to carry out other jobs that are not carpet cleaning.
However you must have the following:
1. Public liability and work carried out insurance/ Client indemnity insurance
2. Iether SCATS or IOSH or higher safety qualification (examples)
3. RISK & Method Statements and COSHH details
4. Equipment maintenance records and PAT certs/stickers on all equipment
5. Proof of industry knowlege , training and experience

On appointments pitch up wearing safety shoes and high vis waistcoat
If you have all the above with you your A for away.

Tip when looking for leads phone a clien and ask for the safety manager/representative and sell him up on Carpet Hygiene and its place in the office - he would love to hear from you!!!!!!
Good luck

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:22:57 pm »
Andy

I get most of my commercial comes from who I know and not what I know. ;)

Utilise family or friends you may be surprised also tout for work wherever you go (going to a funeral tomorrow then on to the reception) sad I know but saying that I will never miss an opportunity I call it a WAKE up call!!! It dose wind up the wife :o never be slow in coming forwards.

Hope this helps not very good at mentoring  :-X
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »
Simon

I would like one too "please" i get very little commercial work other than a couple of letting agents that use me, it's difficult to get  :P
James,
I have emailed you too.

Simon

julianb

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 07:37:48 am »
Is it possible for me to have one Simon my commercial work seems to come more by luck than judgement. Cheers Julian

james roffey

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 02:40:19 pm »
Simon

James,
I have emailed you too.

Simon

Thanks Simon, much appreciated.

Paul Moss

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »
James and Andy, just remember on the tacca day Simon will want the favour returned in kind  :o

julianb

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:32 pm »
Thank you very much

*Hector*

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »
James and Andy, just remember on the tacca day Simon will want the favour returned in kind  :o

Yes... he usually likes you to admire his "powerful" hose  :o :o :o

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

wynne jones

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:49:11 pm »
I think its a great idea. People like Simon have a lot of knowledge in their heads and different people have different things to offer. The TACCA day would be good for pairing up. You coukd have a speed mentoring session. 3 minutes to tell me why I should waste my time on you sonny Jim.  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Jim_77

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:49 am »
I didn't ask you to? :-\

;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 08:35:26 am »
Commercial clients are a funny lot

This is one area I seem to have done quite well on.

I put that down to the business window, the updates on the blog (that are going to be updated this weekend - slow this year).

Commercial can seem like the holy grail - I put three significant invoices in on December the 5th, still no payments, waiting on second signatures!!. can you handle that?

Do I say no more work till I get paid or do I go and view the substantial works, at three sites and just keep reminding them of late payments.

Spoke to the head of facilities for a NHS hospital two weeks ago - we have completed works for them and are looking at a larger project (priced already) - how did he get my details, looking through the web and liked the work I have done with the supermarkets.

We didn't just get big jobs, much the same as Simon, it is development from a smaller beginning but it is critical to show clients your capabilities and that comes from leaflets, smaller works all backed up by the best website you can afford and being very good at doing what you do.

When you do get to that place where you want to be commercially there is a lot of handling the client, we give a polite, succinct, get the job done attitude. We never let the client down. I work and get my hands dirty, the directors of the principle contractors see this but I also have excellent relationships with them and their business owners

Rob ;D