rugdoctor

Bonnet Carpet Cleaning.
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:21:28 pm »
Hello,

I have used the 'search' facility to gain as much information on this cleaning method as possible but have found that most threads on this topic have decended into chaos, mostly caused by TM users or Spray Extraction cleaners who give Bonnet Cleaning less respect than the method actually deserves.

From the threads I have read there appears to be a core group of CC'ers who use the Bonnet Cleaning method on a regular basis & achieve good results.

I would like to explore this method of CC'ing further and would be grateful for any information which would help me not to make possibly expensive mistakes. I think a comprehesive thread on Bonnet Cleaning would also help others ;)

1) What is the best machine to use? Fast or slow rotary machine, is there an 'ideal' make/model?

2) Method. Is there a perfect method for achieving the best results?

3) Chemical. Obviously, manufacturers are constantly developing chemical ranges but what are the best on the market right now for Bonnet Cleaning.

4) Carpet types. Are there carpet types which respond well to Bonnet Cleaning & others which don't?

5) Bonnets/Pads. Who's do you use? Where do you purchase them? Have you used others which were not so effective?

As said above, I would like those who Bonnet Clean carpets on a regular basis to contribute to this thread, this forum does not need another one of these threads being 'hijacked' by those unable/unwilling to explore 'new avenues'.

I eagerly await your replies.

Phil

AshWhite

Re: Bonnet Carpet Cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:36:09 pm »
Fingers crossed that this turns into a good thread as I am also looking to do more of this type of cleaning going forward.
For the record, I recently purchased a Numatic Loline which works at 150rpm, and weighs 19kg. It came with a shampoo brush, and a stiffer polyprop brush, and I have since bought a few microfibre pads, as well as some citraclean concentrate. I also own a Nilfisk SDI 2 which works at 190rpm and weighs in at 38kg, though I haven't even tried this yet.

Ash
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:28:11 pm »
Phil,
For a window cleaner you seem to know an awful lot about carpet cleaning. You will find a diversity of views about all LM methods because LM only fits into some but my no means all cleaning scenarios and knowing where and where not to use it is as important as knowing how to use it.

Simon

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »

1) What is the best machine to use? Fast or slow rotary machine,
2) Method. Is there a perfect method for achieving the best results?
3) Chemical. Obviously, manufacturers are constantly developing chemical ranges but what are the best on the market right now for Bonnet Cleaning.
4) Carpet types. Are there carpet types which respond well to Bonnet Cleaning & others which don't?
5) Bonnets/Pads. Who's do you use? Where do you purchase them? Have you used others which were not so effective?

1) Slow
2) Like HWE, different methods for different scenarios
3) Standard low foaming products work like Pureclean
4) Synthetics
5) Texatherm ones are good

rugdoctor

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »
Phil,
For a window cleaner you seem to know an awful lot about carpet cleaning. You will find a diversity of views about all LM methods because LM only fits into some but my no means all cleaning scenarios and knowing where and where not to use it is as important as knowing how to use it.

Simon

Thank you Simon, exactly the response I was hoping not to receive!
I'm old enough to have experience in cleaning lots of things, not just windows :P
I do indeed have a history of HWE carpets & have had training, but now I am looking into returning to carpet cleaning I am considering alternative methods of doing so.
I cleaned many carpets in the past where I considered HWE cleaning 'overkill' for the soil in that particular carpet & if most CC'ers were honest have faced similar situations.
I have not only read threads on this Forum but also other articles on the internet all which appear to conflict each other ??? BUT there are CC'ers on this Forum who use the Bonnet Cleaning method on a regular basis to earn their living, these are the very people who I invited to contribute to this thread, as a resource for others considering this approach to cleaning carpets.

Phil

rugdoctor

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:29:35 pm »

1) Slow
2) Like HWE, different methods for different scenarios
3) Standard low foaming products work like Pureclean
4) Synthetics
5) Texatherm ones are good

Thank you Neil, a worthy contribution.

Phil

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
Phil,
The vast majority of carpet cleaners use a variety of cleaning systems to suit the wide variety of jobs and soil conditions they come across on a daily basis. I used LM tomremove a nasty waternmark in a busy office at Jaguar / Land Rover today, finished the arms of a suit cleaned with hwe with Encap and finished a low profile carpet in a nursery with LM ( because the carpet was too dirty to clean outright with LM) My point is that we as professionals should be in a position to clean any carpet in any condition and that requires us to use a variety of systems and techniques to achieve that.
I am quite a fan of LM having once been quite a sceptic, but to offer it as your only system may end up limiting the types of work you can realistically do, which is why most have a variety of systems for different circumstances.
Simon

rugdoctor

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:42 pm »
Phil,
My point is that we as professionals should be in a position to clean any carpet in any condition and that requires us to use a variety of systems and techniques to achieve that.

Simon

Simon, I couldn't agree more with your point. The more tools you have in your box the more jobs you can fix!
This is why I started a thread that I hoped would be contributed to by Bonnet Cleaners for those considering the method.
I will be keeping some HWE equipment in my arsenal if returning to CC'ing as I know in the past I have revived some real 'mingers' with this method.

Phil

creighton foyle

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:54 pm »
phil i have an airflex turbo hwe machine that i have owned for coming up to a year this month but i have not used it at all this year. i also have a host machine and a dry fusion rotary machine that i actually used today, and i agree with you that most of the carpets i have cleaned this year have not needed hwe (hwe would have been overkill) and the host or the df machine were enough to enable me to get good results as the carpets were relatively clean.

i have had excellent results using either m power, surround or nemesis as a pre spray followed by agitation with the host and sponge extraction and i have also had great results with the df system as well. i have used the df rotary with fusion clean so i am sure that bonneting with the right solutions and a different machine will get you equally good results.

this next statement is going to inflame some but i am in this game to make money with the only objective being to leave the customer with carpets that they believe are cleaner when i leave than when i arrived and so far its working for me.

rugdoctor

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »
this next statement is going to inflame some but i am in this game to make money with the only objective being to leave the customer with carpets that they believe are cleaner when i leave than when i arrived and so far its working for me.

Well it doesn't inflame me!
A few years ago, when I was making a living CC'ing only I would insist on a customer watching me empty my 'waste' tank as the psychological effect was enormous. How could they say that I had not cleaned their carpets after seeing all that crap run into their drain? I always got paid!

Phil

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 01:58:07 pm »
I only use Dry fusion and think the results are great it cleans, drys and stain blocks all in the same process some carpet's don't come up as good as other's but the customer is always happy when i'm done and so they should be at £20 the 1st room then £15 anyother.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »
it's cause using dry fusion only takes 20-30mins per room cost me £2-£3 in chemical per room so i'm happy with my price aslong as i make a profit plus the area i'm in Fleetwood people won't pay much more and some even turn there nose's up at my prices now lol.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

davep

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »
When I went tm I got through work a lot faster but put prices up.

Being cheap won't bring you work in, certainly not any quality repeat work?

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 03:22:22 pm »
I get call backs from customer's or they phone me cause someone else they know wants work done i have to compete around my area were theres a guy in the paper from £10 a room and also another at £19 per room who would pick me if i'm twice the price no one so if i can make a crust charging these prices then so be it i still have commercial were my prices are more but still fair.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

clinton

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »
I always try and get the best pads too to start with and i found texatherm pads to be a nice quality pad..

davep

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:42 pm »
Phillip ignore what the others are charging.  Rather than £20 first room then £15 there after try £45 and then £25

I have someone by me that charges £65 a suite and takes a hour to do it, doesnt mean I need to be cheape and faster!

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »
I understand what your saying dave but people aren't willing to pay them prices here and i'd rather earn £20 than be sat at home earning nothing it's hard times i'm struggling to get by even with my prices.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Jim_77

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 05:27:08 pm »
people aren't willing to pay them prices here

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong!!!!

There aren't as many people around who are willing to pay higher prices than the cheap brigade, but there are MORE than enough to target at, to run a decent business in ANY area.  Maybe not right on your doorstep if you live in a terraced street or council estate (absolutely no disrespect meant to anyone by saying that) but within a few miles of anywhere there are plenty of high earning potential customers.

For crying out loud you're doing Dry Fusion, do you know what other "fusioneers" are charging??!?!  It's pitched as a "premium" service.  I would suggest maybe enquire with DF about sales & marketing, isn't that part of the package with them?  Maybe you could tag along with some of the other fusioneers for a day to see how they do it?

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 05:33:17 pm »
I don't have a clue what other fusioneers are charging Jim maybe i should find out and on the marketing side i don't have enough money coming in to advertise my services more as my earnings go to paying back what i lent to startup it's all been an uphill struggle and once i did start getting more frequent work then i would look at upping my prices i'm just struggling at the moment so grab anything i can.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk