carpet_bright

denim dye on upholstery
« on: January 16, 2004, 11:39:07 pm »
I have to clean a cream settee as it has dark denim dye on it from a brand new pair of Jeans. I'm not certain what fabric it is but pretty sure it is natural fibre.
Have to clean it cos it's my settee  :( :( :(

Any ideas what might shift it  ???

Thanks Paul

neil 47

Re: denim dye on upholstery
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 11:41:35 pm »
have you tried bleach  that should shift it  lol
IICRC

John_Flynn

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 11:42:28 pm »
Gis a clue !!

Have you done a burn test on the fabric, what does it smell of  ??? ??? ???
I get better looking each day!!

Derek

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 10:04:59 am »
Hi Paul

Subject to all the usual fibre recognition tests etc. You should be able to remove this colour transfer fairly easily with normal extraction cleaning.

Only on one occasion have I experienced this to be a real problem and that was on a pure white fabric where an eagle eyed customer said they could still see it.... I reckon they were after a new suite as they had realised just how impractical the colour was for day to day lifestyles.

I have seen many attempts, over the years, by consumers to, allegedly, get furniture/carpets changed by claiming faults when all it really was the fact that they had chosen a 'wrong' colour.

Derek    

Paul_Elliott

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 01:33:36 am »
As Derek knows I cleaned a suite that had what was explained as dye bleed from clothing on it. I tried everything to clean it without success. I walked away from the job but kept in contact with the customer.

The customer had the suite so called 'independently' tested and I have just heard that the company who sold them the suite have offered them a good discount against a new suite.

I have had other suites where the dye has been easily removed. Do a dry/wet crock test first.

Regards

Paul.

Derek

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 10:23:24 am »
As a follow up...
over the years I have seen a lot of dye transfer from Denim also multi-coloured throws.

Some of the Oriental rugs have loose dyes which transfer onto fitted carpet beneath... there was a well documented case in the National newspapers a couple of years ago where a consumer had carpets replaced by the retailer following this colour transfer... it did go to Court

Regards
Derek

Paul_Elliott

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 04:12:42 pm »
Derek,

Yep I have a customer who has a rug bought from Next which has transfered onto the carpet. She did get some form of compensation.

Regards

Paul.

carpet_bright

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 01:06:15 am »
Thanks Guys for that.

I have tried to clean the suite using the old fabric restorer followed by the acidic rinse. The results were very minimal, you can still see the blue dye :(

I've had the suite for about 4 years now and it's not very confortable anymore. Never buying from DFS again!
I am considering using a mild oxidising bleach, I'd prefer to look lighter in colour rather than blue patches.

Paul

Dynafoam

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 01:55:31 am »
Paul,

Before going the oxybrite/Fibrebuff route, why not try one of the micro-splitters. I cleaned a cream linnen sofa last month that had a horendous blue patch where the lady swivled her nethter regeons as she streched out - Solution Nr. 4 took care of it  :)

John.

carpet_bright

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 01:23:28 pm »
Cheers John

I haven't anything to lose by trying something else.
I'll give it a go if I can get hold of some.
Are there any free samples available?

Paul

Ivar_Haglund

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 02:22:11 pm »
sodiummetabisulfate or something close to that spelling might be off a bit.

First treat with solvent extract with sodiumeteabisulfate

dry FAST  and dry vacuum

FIRST  get customer to sign a release form.

IVAR ::)

Dynafoam

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 08:35:50 pm »
Ivar,

Sodium metabisulphite (Na2S2O5 is a slow-acting reagent - totaly unsuitable for use as an extraction agent.

Its' fumes are a broncial irritant, and it releases a toxic gas when in contact with acids. It should always be used with care, in conditions of good ventilation.

John.

Ivar_Haglund

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 02:34:27 pm »
Sorry

I meant sodiumpercarbonate

IVAR :-[