Jamie Pearson

Re: Upholstery advice
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 08:27:44 pm »
What were the results of your fibre ID?

pete jones

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 08:41:14 pm »
Looks like a dralon to me.If its velvet she will know,and it would of cost a fortune.,They always say,It was expensive.viscose rayon is risky.Do a test on the back, with some prochem fabric restore.Leave it a couple of days.If the test is good. No wet cat syndrome wet clean it.After cleaning gently brush it to remove tool lines.If you are unsure you can clean using a solvent extraction machine, but make sure exhaust pipe is vented outside.Avoid painted surfaces but if solvent touches it leave it to dry natually

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 08:59:57 pm »
If it's a natural fibre and heavily soil dry cleaning won't work particularly well as this will only really remove the oil based soil. Even with a detergent additive if it's a minger.

Dry/Wet/Dry will give the best of both worlds reducing the amount of OMS required. If it is moisture sensitive.

cannon

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 09:11:07 pm »
What were the results of your fibre ID?

Only wetted, from this concluded viscose or cotton velour. No swatches attached for burn test but i believe both these fibres would react the same when burned. Although some of you more experienced may be able to tell the difference.

Pete, its a soggy rat alright :) no solvent machine so will be doing it by hand, testing of course and with caution.

Another suggestion i was given was using a safe for wool m/s, misted on, agitated, towelled off.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:07 pm »
No ash with viscose.

Use your machine to vac off then towel. Customer will get the machine clean most desire and you could use the low moisture technique.

First thing I would be doing is opening a cushion to trim a bit from seem inside or using tweezers to pluck a bit and doing a test to see if synthetic.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 07:42:45 pm »
An old boy walked in on Friday asking if we could clean his cushions.
Normally we would forward this on to one of our customers.
Instead I decided to use some of the methods above and video the results.

You can see the vid here :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY6eJPa_S7I

benny d

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »
Looks the the one from the TV prog The Royale Family  ;D
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 08:39:22 pm »

clinton

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »
thats an old one ;D

The fringing was always coming off  :D

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »
HI How did you get on with the suite?
"So basically its a big vax!"

cannon

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
Cleaned it using craftex fabric dry cleaner, not something id like to use everyday but pleased ive had experience of using it and being able to offer a dry clean option now when needed.

Which reminds me im going to source some fabric and have a bit practise to hone my skills ;D and try some other methods.