Jimmywidge

Too expensive ??
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:57:56 pm »
Quoted £120.00 to as custmers for cleaing carpets in a  3 bed unfirnished house in the sussex area and was under cut  - I thought it was a fair price for the amount of work required.  Just how flippin cheap are some people doing the job ?!   

Paolo

Re: Too expensive ??
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »
Some may look at it like this.

4 hours work, £20 an hour, £80 for a mornings work.

Do that twice a day and you are laughing as a one man outfit.

garyfindlay

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:55 pm »
Was that another spelling mistake....should that have been £12.00

JandS

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »
3 bed empty house more like 3 hours.
I charge £95 for average sized 3 bed semi.
Tell them may be up/down a little if room
sizes differ from what they tell me but rare
I change it.
If anything there usually under sized with
one bedroom sometimes just a box room.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Steve Gunn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »
I was told I was too expensive for a 5x4 sitting room at £45 she had rang someone who said he would do her whole house for £45,problem is people taking redundancy buying machine and happy making £100 a day

wynne jones

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:03 pm »
Never ever worry about one persons view on your pricing, it's a complete waste of time. There will be some one else you say £80 to and they will say HOW MUCH?!

Then you will say £300 to someone else and they say Oh I thought it would be more than that.

Work out how long and how much grief and give them the price and get on with it. This also includes getting bent out of shape with the £8.99 mob, worry about running your own business not someone elses.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Paul Simpson

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »
Approximately what I would have charged.
Where abouts in Sussex you based Jimmy, I'm in Hailsham myself.
Paul

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »
I had a woman call and book in a job for £140 then call back to say she'd has now booked someone else for £70, so she booked and then rang round which is a little annoying >:( but about an hour later firm of accountants rang for a job which was £340, c'est la vie ;D

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:31 pm »
Think she might want you back in the future if she was not happy with the job shaun..

Or maybe just loyal to the dollar ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:55 pm »
There will always be those who want something as cheap as possible and I fear this year is going to be worse than many previous ones. That's just the way it is, what hurts most is when a previously happy customer goes to someone new (who they don't know) just because their a few pounds cheaper.

clinton

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »
Maybe all the price comparison web sites putting the thought in there mind that price is just the issue.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:02 pm »
Could be right Neil I've had a lot of price shoppers today all end of tennancy had one with in his words "a very dirty cream hsl and lound with blood, wax, make up" asked it I can beat £45? no thanks! January can be a quieter time but looking at my bookings it's not that bad but I'm not booked up like pre Xmas but realistically I shouldn't be unless I do some ectra advertising.

Shaun

The Great One

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 07:04:48 am »
Hi

I think in the climate we are in at the moment price is going to be a big factor for lots of people, there are always price shoppers but if someone can save £50-70 then I think they'll go for it, even if they haven't used them before.

A lot of people are going to the wall.

Martin 8)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:57 am »
Hi Guys

Don't get too bogged down with price shoppers, they always have and always will be there.

I quoted £200 for lounge, stairs, no hall and 2 beds around the beds.

Customer said I was much cheaper tahn her previous CC and better!

It's swings and roundabouts.

Cheers

Doug

JandS

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 08:57:51 am »
Funny how we all get hung up on price shoppers
then as soon as we want a trade what do we do.
SHOP ROUND.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

ianharper

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 09:26:07 am »
Guys

the question should be can you get the price you want day in day out and can you repeat the process that brings these jobs in. Shaun said a guy he knows got a job £15k, fantastic but its being able to repeat this.

Marketing should be like a well oiled machine you put your money in and you get the return every time.

I have always looked for a marketing system that i can control. if i invest £100 i want to know my return and be able to just keep doing it. this way you know that you can up the stake money and get a guaranteed return.

I have tried lots of offers and positions in the market and its been very interesting doing it and i am starting to get a feel for the market only just now.

For example, The pink flyiers, spent time and money followed what other did and in my area it did not work. but i would say that it has it place in the right areas. I think that in the UK there are areas that have a micro economy. Cambridge is one. I hear guys on here say stuff that's just does not match with my experiences. but i now am starting to believe some of it.

repeatable marketing systems are where i put my faith.

its my view that getting my diary full each week and then putting up my prices is the way forwards for me. putting that marketing horse before the cart. control is everything.

does it cost more marketing to find that £200 customer or can you spend less finding four £50 customers?

BTW steve when i said SEO is dead i ment for local marketing. ;)

Respect

Ian Harper

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »
The problem is cost of finding customer

Success Coach guys can spend £50 on recruiting customer because they charge £100 fo a Lounge and end up with £200 AVO

But pass on price shoppers

So if a marketing method pulls more at a lower price , ie £50 spend recruits 4 customers at say £75 AVO  that can be good untill there are no more hours left

spindle

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 05:45:12 pm »
i am the only one?? ???

HOW MUCH FOR CASH? ;D ;D
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

covenant

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »
I think you work out what you want to earn, there will always be cheaper out there and if people want cheap they will always find it, I tell people I aint the cheapest but not the most expensive but I clean to the highest standard. 

Matt Seymour

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »
Funny how we all get hung up on price shoppers
then as soon as we want a trade what do we do.
SHOP ROUND.

John

I agree, it's hardly surprising that people are focused on price in this economic climate, especially with VAT having just gone up along with just about everything else.

I've said this before plenty of times and I'll say it again... a low price doesn't necessarily mean a lousy job like so many on here constantly suggest.

People charge what they feel they need to charge to sustain a standard of living they are happy with and also with one eye on being competitive to secure work. I was one such person and I often charged half of what some people on here do.

Even doing that I was still earning something like £20 an hour, which is plenty for what is essentially regarded as an unskilled occupation. People who have served lengthy apprenticeships earn less than that.