wayne zabel

I have gone missing off Google maps
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »
My business has gone missing from google maps after having been on the first page for months - any idaes why?

Could a competitor have done something to compromise things?

wayne zabel

Re: I have gone missing off Google maps
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:30:17 pm »
Back on first page now after dissappearng - very strange especially for a computer numpty like me

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »
My business has gone missing from google maps after having been on the first page for months - any idaes why?

Same thing happened to me, makes you wonder how the worlds number 1 search thingy could cock things up so much. Something very strange was going on because when I finally tracked mine down, clicking on the reviews took me to a compeditors site. >:(

fitz2kleen

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:55 pm »
same thing happens to us quite regularly, think its when google are updating cos usually only drop for half a day or so then right back up there  ;D
i used to go into panic mode and start trying to alter keywords and metatags.... now just wait for the return !

Justin lee

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:10:32 pm »
this has happened to me!! no where to be seen now!
i am here to learn and appreciate any help!!

garry22

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:28:29 am »
I'm not sure how true this is but it kind of makes sense.

I had some e mail correspondence recently with someone in the USA (who knows more than me).

He suggested that the best thing to do in any situation like this (he called it Yo-yo-ing) was absolutely nothing. He said temporary movements were normal and he suspected that there was a filter that looked for unusual movement after a fall.

In other words, if a site fell in the rankings, then suddenly got a load of links pointing at it, it was a sure sign that someone was doing SEO to recover the previous position. This could trigger a penalty.

If nothing happened, it looked natural and the site would be restored.

As I said, I have not seen any proof but it's an interesting thought.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:09:17 pm »
I'm not sure how true this is but it kind of makes sense.

I had some e mail correspondence recently with someone in the USA (who knows more than me).

He suggested that the best thing to do in any situation like this (he called it Yo-yo-ing) was absolutely nothing. He said temporary movements were normal and he suspected that there was a filter that looked for unusual movement after a fall.

In other words, if a site fell in the rankings, then suddenly got a load of links pointing at it, it was a sure sign that someone was doing SEO to recover the previous position. This could trigger a penalty.

If nothing happened, it looked natural and the site would be restored.

As I said, I have not seen any proof but it's an interesting thought.

I'd agree with that!

Tre Allen

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 01:26:16 am »
Well a couple things could have happened.

1) Not a valid address.

2) You have competition so in order to rank high your going to have to market your map url better, get more reviews, add in more pictures/keywords/video/coupons and so forth.

Maps and Organic you have to market as much as possible to stay up top.