AuRavelling79

Using pole hose on your main reel(s).
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:54:38 am »

There is a question at the end of this waffle so if you are in "TLDR" mode please go straight to it.  ;D

Those that occasionally read my posts (both of you - you know who you are  ;D) may recall that I use the Gardiners green pole hose for the first to be pulled out 30 metres or so of my reel hose, followed by microbore for the next 60 or so.

For me this works well as in the hose is light to carry, flick about, reel in etc. Even its longevity is close to microbore - in my experience anyway.

However the one downside in my experience is that it "kinks" far more readily than microbore unless there is some warmth in the water and that ideally just for this reason alone a water temperature in the tank of 25 degrees plus helps just in ease of use and time saving.

Anyone using pole hose as main hose - which one do you use and why and do you know of one that lasts well and is hard wearing?

Thanks.
It's a game of three halves!

P @ F

Re: Using pole hose on your main reel(s).
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 11:06:55 am »
I use the Gardiner green too , I basically have 2 ways to set up , due to your reasons with it liking a bit of warmth , I dont get the kinking at all but its more of a not laying as flat as I would like it to issue .

1. Summer set up , 85m green , very slight coiling at times if not over 10c ambient temp .
2. Winter set up ,  65m micro onto 20m green , micro only used here as the green does not retain heat in  water so well , via L5 .

The only other things that i think come close to what you are after are Exceed blue and Rhino , but i have heard good and bad reports on both , so really , other than knowing a person with these that you can have a look at , its going to be a case of buy and try , which I dont think is a very cheap way to find out !

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

robbo333

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:31:34 pm »
I use about 70m of Gardiners reinforced pole hose on my reel, have done for over 5 years.
It needs replacing now as it's swolen and starting to wear; I shall buy the same again.
I know nothing is perfect, but for me, this is pretty good.
Just bear in mind that its outside diameter is 9mm not 8mm.
Funnily enough, I use Gardiners green on my pole.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:00 pm »
I bought pure freedom hose reel with 8mm hose on it last year , it’s swelling loads recently and split last month when I was at a job. Luckily it’s an easy fix but I will be looking for something more durable next time

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:56:52 am »
doesnt using pole hose as main reel hose leave more of a trip hazard and danger when run across roads and pavements?id think it wouldnt lay totally flat to the floor like normal microbore would causing more issues than solving them......
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 08:58:21 am »
I bought pure freedom hose reel with 8mm hose on it last year , it’s swelling loads recently and split last month when I was at a job. Luckily it’s an easy fix but I will be looking for something more durable next time

why do you use minibore mate?microbore is far easier to manage than the 8mm hose........

Shrek

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:35 pm »

why do you use minibore mate?microbore is far easier to manage than the 8mm hose........

I’m not sure lol , the 1st hose I used was 6mm , then when I had to order another 1, they were out of stock so I took the 8mm instead - does it make a noticeable difference daz? I think the 8mm is definitely heavier but Iv just got used to it ...

NWH

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:48:47 pm »
Who does houses where you have to reel out across a road you pikey window cleaner 😂 the only thing that might trip on mine is the odd mole 😂

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 06:33:22 pm »
Who does houses where you have to reel out across a road you pikey window cleaner 😂 the only thing that might trip on mine is the odd mole 😂

i cleaned eight 5 bed houses this morning (all down the same road) with large gardens(2 van moves)but still have to run the hose out across the road due to limited parking.....then this afternoon i did another 3 large properties in a cul de sac and ran it across the road to clean 2 of them.....

sometimes on estate work 100m is out on the roads for most of the day! ;D

robbo333

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 07:10:32 pm »
The Gardiners reinforced pole hose lays flat. I can't remember how long it took to 'wear in' but it wasn't long.
Also it's yellow...so that helps as pedestrians recognise it as hose!
If I don't put a cone out, people just walk over it. If I put a cone out then pedestrians do a massive 'John Cleese funny walk' over it.
I digress.
I look at it like this:
I started using minibore (good but I had dodgy elbows and it was massively heavy for me)
Then I used microbore (still good but painful elbows are painful elbows)
Now I used Gardiners reinforced pole hose. It's just the next natural reduction in size and weight.
I have no pump or pressure issues and it works for me.
For the price of 100m give it a go. It could literally make a difference to your day.
At worse, you've got plenty of pole hose.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 07:20:24 pm »
The Gardiners reinforced pole hose lays flat. I can't remember how long it took to 'wear in' but it wasn't long.
If I don't put a cone out, people just walk over it. If I put a cone out then pedestrians do a massive 'John Cleese funny walk' over it.
I digress.
I look at it like this:
I started using minibore (good but I had dodgy elbows and it was massively heavy for me)
Now I used Gardiners reinforced pole hose. It's just the next natural reduction in size and weight.
For the price of 100m give it a go. It could literally make a difference to your day.

Does it not effect the amount of water your getting on the windows though?? Surely by reducing the hose size to all pole hose would restrict the water and then takes longer to rinse? What flow do you work at pal?

robbo333

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »
I digress.
I look at it like this:

Does it not effect the amount of water your getting on the windows though?? Surely by reducing the hose size to all pole hose would restrict the water and then takes longer to rinse? What flow do you work at pal?

I'm working on 60 at the controller (pure freedoms controller and sureflow pump) and I have 2 jets that will hit 10 feet.

Shrek

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:59:46 pm »
Ok , I work at 70 but I’m using 8mm hose . I wouldn’t say the fans are spraying ten feet though lol