Marc Stock

What a poo day, window flounce!
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:34:13 pm »
Do you sometimes ask yourself, whats the blooming point?

Lost a good job today; a pub. Been doing it now for 4 years, the owner  is a bit of a grumpy old sob; but he was OK, and it was kinda a joke, he was nice enough you know...and he knew he come across grumpy but we'd have a laugh about it ;and he always appreciated me doing the windows.

Anyway, a couple of times last year he turned me away because he didn't have any cash on him, i said its OK no need for cash i can take a card payment, but he wanted to pay cash..so.  I made it very clear that turning me away without calling me is just not acceptable, ill do the windows now but you will have to pay later, he reluctantly agreed...and guess what he found the cash at the end of the clean.  ::)roll

Anyway today he was due, before i've had a chance to even get out of the van he bellows out right up to my window "why do you always come on a bloody Monday? and its raining! no point them being done in the rain" (it was light drizzle). "i haven't got the cash to pay you, can you come back another day?"

NO i replied! I cannot; i have a days worth of work to get through and to cancel on the day i turn up is unacceptable!"

HIM: "well you always come when i don't want you to come,"

ME: "i come when i am in the area to do your windows, i give you the date, that's how it works"

Anyway he said (rather rudely)  leave it (f off) this time and come back in April  :o

I said "you know...you don't have to have them cleaned if you don't want to" " I (effing) know" he said, in a rather indignant fashion!

ME:  good..."I don't need your business that much either, find someone else to mess about!" and i did a  fast van window wind flounce!!!

But boy has it put me in a bad mood!
 >:(

Shrek

Re: What a poo day, window flounce!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:44:20 pm »
I dumped 1 too! Retired guy with a nice house. he’s been not unlocking his gate for me when I txt him until I’m ready to get in the van for a few times now. Last month his car was there , gate locked, I knocked twice and he didn’t answer so I did the front and thought il charge him £8, went round today already in the mindset that he’s dumped after this one for pi$$ing me about every month. Knocked on the door, he asks how much and I say £23 , £15 for today , £8 for last month . He just looked at me like I’m scum and said you only did the front IL give you £5. I said YOU don’t tell me how much I charge you and then thought feck it. I said let’s just leave it and I got back in my van and drove off.

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:01:50 pm »
I dumped 1 too! Retired guy with a nice house. he’s been not unlocking his gate for me when I txt him until I’m ready to get in the van for a few times now. Last month his car was there , gate locked, I knocked twice and he didn’t answer so I did the front and thought il charge him £8, went round today already in the mindset that he’s dumped after this one for pi$$ing me about every month. Knocked on the door, he asks how much and I say £23 , £15 for today , £8 for last month . He just looked at me like I’m scum and said you only did the front IL give you £5. I said YOU don’t tell me how much I charge you and then thought feck it. I said let’s just leave it and I got back in my van and drove off.

Done that a couple of times as well, sometimes it simply isn't worth it
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 06:22:38 pm »
Choose your battles. Even with customers.

Ruining your day over a custard isn't worth it.

Bungle

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:30:47 pm »
Texted one of mine last night. She has a new puppy who goes mad apparently when I turn up and she's not in ??? Last time I went she said can you come after 2pm. No problem as I wouldn't get to her before then anyway. I pull up, knock the door, no answer, no dog barking and cash is left under the mat. I decided that she must have gone for a walk with the dog. So I clean. Last night she texts back saying the dog had trashed the kitchen last time I came and she won't be home till 3pm and to leave it till next time and hopefully she'll be home to calm the dog.

Strike 1
We look at them, they look through them.

robbo333

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 06:33:37 pm »
Marc
You should be in a good mood mate, not a bad mood; who needs customers like that!
And in true CIU style, you should replace him with two other commercial properties:
One will be a local brothel (that you never knew existed) and will want to pay you in kind!
and the second will be a poor 35 year old blonde swedish widow...who will want to pay you in kind!
Mate you'll need some better paying custies  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

tlwcs

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 06:39:10 pm »
Texted one of mine last night. She has a new puppy who goes mad apparently when I turn up and she's not in ??? Last time I went she said can you come after 2pm. No problem as I wouldn't get to her before then anyway. I pull up, knock the door, no answer, no dog barking and cash is left under the mat. I decided that she must have gone for a walk with the dog. So I clean. Last night she texts back saying the dog had trashed the kitchen last time I came and she won't be home till 3pm and to leave it till next time and hopefully she'll be home to calm the dog.

Strike 1
The pup will trash every room in the house if it's left for long periods whether your there on not.
If she's happy to leave it, I bet you the garden will be a s41t tip in weeeks. Dump her now.
Thank her for her custom and tell her your off to the RSPCA.
Theres some divs about

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:01:26 pm »
Don't dump but change tactics, charge her a tenner each month to pick up the puppy poop. That way you still earn and won't upset the puppy either
 ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 07:12:44 pm »
I swear some idiots  think we just clean windows just for good health and fun.  "We are not a charity case" would be my reply
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:37:40 pm »
I had one today coem out whilst i was cleaning

it was overcast, had been drizzling earlier..

"is there any point doing them in this weather?"

"yep" came my rather short reply (had a wisdom tooth removed last week and im not in the mood at the minute  >:( )

oh ok she said your moneys under the plant pot and walked off.

Marc Stock

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 07:58:34 pm »

"yep" came my rather short reply (had a wisdom tooth removed last week and im not in the mood at the minute  >:( )

they just dont seem to understand that we are running a business here!

Marc Stock

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 08:02:48 pm »

Strike 1

Oh yeah dont you just love it when they make their problems your problem!

Marc Stock

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 08:08:02 pm »
Marc
You should be in a good mood mate, not a bad mood; who needs customers like that!
And in true CIU style, you should replace him with two other commercial properties:
One will be a local brothel (that you never knew existed) and will want to pay you in kind!
and the second will be a poor 35 year old blonde swedish widow...who will want to pay you in kind!
Mate you'll need some better paying custies  ;D
I'm much better now. Thanks to CIU... its therapy!

I really feel like its a battle this week so far, and its only Monday!  Was up to 49k before loosing that one!  :-[

keep on going......... :P :P

;D

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 08:30:30 pm »
we ve all had customers who seem ungrateful for our service at times....and if we re not feeling great ourselves it can easily turn into a "flounce" ;D

i try not to let it ruining my whole day though.......
price higher/work harder!

Bungle

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 08:39:16 pm »
Just had another one. Texted to tell them I'm going tomorrow. Text back 'can we leave it this time' FFS! I text back saying I don't skip cleans only for building work etc and don't run an ad hoc business. I explained that missing him tomorrow will cost me £10 in lost earnings and that we agreed 4 weekly cleans. He texts back saying 'I'll tell you what, we'll call it a day. I haven't signed a contract, just a verbal agreement so won't be requiring your services any longer. I'm a bit ped off with this reply so I send this back; No problem. Yes we had a verbal agreement, and I'd like to think that people would honour it and not skip cleans because it'll save them a bit of cash. I run a business not an ad hoc service. The porch clean I did for you was a gratis job if you remember? Thanks for your custom.'

He texts back ' I've lost my job so thanks for your kind consideration.'

I text back ' Sorry about your job loss! If you had told me that to start with I would have totally understood your reason to cancel. Like I say I didn't know you had lost your job as your reason to cancel. Good luck in finding another job.

He's not texted back so far. My Mrs reckons I jumped in too quick but I'm sick of people cancelling willy nilly and sometimes you have to let them know you don't mess about.

Bungle

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 08:51:34 pm »
If you lose your job can you ring Sky up and renege on your contract with them I wonder or would they insist you fulfil your contract?

We are a luxury and are the first to get the chop if it goes t1ts up!

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 08:57:21 pm »
Just had another one. Texted to tell them I'm going tomorrow. Text back 'can we leave it this time' FFS! I text back saying I don't skip cleans only for building work etc and don't run an ad hoc business. I explained that missing him tomorrow will cost me £10 in lost earnings and that we agreed 4 weekly cleans. He texts back saying 'I'll tell you what, we'll call it a day. I haven't signed a contract, just a verbal agreement so won't be requiring your services any longer. I'm a bit ped off with this reply so I send this back; No problem. Yes we had a verbal agreement, and I'd like to think that people would honour it and not skip cleans because it'll save them a bit of cash. I run a business not an ad hoc service. The porch clean I did for you was a gratis job if you remember? Thanks for your custom.'

I text back ' Sorry about your job loss! If you had told me that to start with I would have totally understood your reason to cancel. Like I say I didn't know you had lost your job as your reason to cancel. Good luck in finding another job.

He's not texted back so far. My Mrs reckons I jumped in too quick but I'm sick of people cancelling willy nilly and sometimes you have to let them know you don't mess about.

its half term too(lots of customers take their kids away on holiday) so dont be surprised if you get the odd other "not today" this week....

i always expect the odd skipped clean (for whatever reason) each week so when they happen its not a problem...you ll find everything evens out over the course of a year mate,you ll pick up extra jobs and add on work so i wouldnt get annoyed about it....

its swings and roundabouts.....

Bungle

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 09:11:47 pm »

its half term too(lots of customers take their kids away on holiday) so dont be surprised if you get the odd other "not today" this week....

i always expect the odd skipped clean (for whatever reason) each week so when they happen its not a problem...you ll find everything evens out over the course of a year mate,you ll pick up extra jobs and add on work so i wouldnt get annoyed about it....

its swings and roundabouts.....

Oh yes I've had one cancel today who's gone away. I don't mind that as it's a valid reason, but to just text back asking to skip with no reason does my head in and to cap it all telling me 3 texts later he's lost his job ffs. Am I a mind reader or something?

Splash & dash

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 09:20:52 pm »
We used to get the can you leave it this time brigade : if they are decorating or have building work being done or another genuine reason then ok that’s fine but anything else they are dropped and I say we have a list of people who are happy to have us clean all year round so they will take your slot , I had one back in November say leave it this month same again in December so dropped her , phoned up last week can you start again in March , no sorry I have taken on another job who wants it doing every month : I run a buisness and have staff to pay cannot run a buisness with people stop and starting at will all customers when we take them on are told we work 12 months per year and all weathers if they don’t want that that’s fine but that’s our terms take it or leave it : this situation rarely happens now as I have weeded out the problem customers over the years 

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 09:50:30 pm »
Good to see that flouncing is being done throughout the land and on suitable occasions.

I am proud to be associated with  you all! Keep up the fine tradition!
It's a game of three halves!

Plankton

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 10:17:29 pm »
Should start a national association of flouncers with a logo and certificate and all that jazz.

Marc Stock

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 10:32:13 pm »
Here's a start!

Slacky

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 10:59:08 pm »

Brilliant 😅

Spruce

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 07:12:41 am »

If she had answered the door then the windows would have been done - she would have taken the money from his beer money.
He sees it totally differently.  ;D

You just got to deal with the wrong partner.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

robbo333

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:07 am »
I had a custie who I didn't particularly like, who sent me a text saying 'not this time'
So I seized the opportunity and sent back: 'Sorry you have chosen to cancel my services, thank you for your previous custom...etc'
She text back 'We haven't cancelled your services'
I text back 'Unfortunately you have.'   ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!

Shrek

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 11:43:23 am »
I had a custie who I didn't particularly like, who sent me a text saying 'not this time'
So I seized the opportunity and sent back: 'Sorry you have chosen to cancel my services, thank you for your previous custom...etc'
She text back 'We haven't cancelled your services'
I text back 'Unfortunately you have.'   ;D

I like that reply !

jonboywalton75

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 05:26:55 am »

Strike 1

That's worth 2 strikes at least

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 08:28:28 am »
Two part post coming up ...

I did an "almost-flounce" last week but have done a "kill 'em with kindness" too!

I have a nice compact road where I park up and do seven semi's in a cul-de-sac from one park up of the van. So I'd like to keep them all if not too much of a pain.

I'm cleaning one - I'll call her Tina for anonymity's sake - and an eighth prospective custy (PC) comes over for a quote which I pop over and get and she (PC) has just gone inside after me agreeing to do hers a bit later when Tina comes over in a strop.

Tina: "You left my gate open when you came across here!" (There is no "close the gate sign"on her gate)

Me: "I'll be back over now - I got called away to give a price for (PC) - sorry about that."

Tina: "Well, my dog is old and frail and I don't want him to get out."

Me: "I didn't see your dog, sorry - it won't happen again."

Tina: "Well he's small enough to get out of the cat flap and if you leave the gate open he might get out!"

Me : "Right. I'll remember not to leave your gate open, Tina."

Tina "Well you'd better not because if it happens again I'll cancel!"

(To Flounce or not flounce - that is the question ...)  ;D

More later ...  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 04:52:42 pm »
Me: (A bit sharp) I think you're completely over-reacting Tina - I've already said I'll close the gate in the future - it's not as if you have a sign on it or anything.

Her: (Equally sharp) Well, like I said our dog is very frail and old and I'd hate for anything to happen to it. Anyway let's leave it like that, fair enough?

Me: (Slightly sarky but backing off) Rest assured you have made yourself as clear as crystal.

Off she goes ...

So I've bought a "PLEASE CLOSE THE GATE" sign off the internet for £2.50 and sent it in the post to her with the following message:

"Hi Tina,

When our paths crossed the last week it wasn't in the most pleasant of circumstances was it? So hopefully rather than allow any awkwardness to remain this will catch you in a lighter situation and ameliorate things.

Best wishes,"

... ... ... ... ...

I'll let you know if there is any response - she'll either text me and tell me she finds it funny or that I'm weird or that I'm a sarky git. Or she'll ignore me. Or cancel.

We shall see ...

:)

robbo333

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:29 pm »
Hope that one goes ok.

In all fairness, two things:
1. I never quote mid job. If a custy comes over and asks how much, I say I will be over when i've finished this one, unless I know the custy I am working on isn't in.
2. I always shut gates behind me, If I know they have a dog; I'll either run the hose over the top or underneath. If they have no dog, then I prop the gate open to stop it banging.

Bungle

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 05:27:05 pm »
Me: (A bit sharp) I think you're completely over-reacting Tina - I've already said I'll close the gate in the future - it's not as if you have a sign on it or anything.

Her: (Equally sharp) Well, like I said our dog is very frail and old and I'd hate for anything to happen to it. Anyway let's leave it like that, fair enough?

Me: (Slightly sarky but backing off) Rest assured you have made yourself as clear as crystal.

Off she goes ...

So I've bought a "PLEASE CLOSE THE GATE" sign off the internet for £2.50 and sent it in the post to her with the following message:

"Hi Tina,

When our paths crossed the last week it wasn't in the most pleasant of circumstances was it? So hopefully rather than allow any awkwardness to remain this will catch you in a lighter situation and ameliorate things.

Best wishes,"

... ... ... ... ...

I'll let you know if there is any response - she'll either text me and tell me she finds it funny or that I'm weird or that I'm a sarky git. Or she'll ignore me. Or cancel.

We shall see ...

I think she'll think you're extracting the urine.

If the dog is old and frail how the feck is it going to manage to clamber out of a cat flap? She sounds a loon.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:49 pm »
Bungle: "I think she'll think you're extracting the urine."

There is that element to it ... but only if she thinks so.  ;)

Robbo333: "2. I always shut gates behind me, If I know they have a dog; I'll either run the hose over the top or underneath. If they have no dog, then I prop the gate open to stop it banging."

I didn't know she had a dog ...

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:00 pm »

Off she goes ...

"Hi Tina,

Best wishes,"

... ... ... ... ...

We shall see ...

i think its funny! ;D ;D

i wouldnt have done it myself like but......... ;D ;D ;D ;D.......i think she ll think your taking the pee too...... ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 12:04:35 am »

Off she goes ...

"Hi Tina,

Best wishes,"

... ... ... ... ...

We shall see ...

Don't you offer a cat flap reducing service for people with people with old and frail dogs?  That's unprofessional.

And don't use words like 'ameliorate' to someone called Tina (real name or not). 

Thirdly: nice one. Best £2.50 you spent this year, I bet. 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

alank

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:07 am »
Super glue the cat flap shut, sorted ;D

Slacky

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 07:27:51 am »
Super glue the dog.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 04:15:53 pm »
Griff wrote: "And don't use words like 'ameliorate' to someone called Tina (real name or not)."

Well it's not "Tina" it's a bit posher than that (no offence to all the Tinas out there) and she is in a "prufeshnial" occupation.  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 09:04:09 pm »
Well - 8 weeks on and although just after our altercation "TINA" had paid - I haven't heard a dickie-bird.

Just to refresh your memories - I dropped the "Please Close The Gate" sign off (she wasn't home) and not a comment or text was made in return. No "thank you" "get lost" or anything.

I turned up today and there on the gate was my sign. So she used it.

And I shut the gate behind me.

Marc Stock

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 09:55:51 pm »
Hahah epic

windowswashed

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 10:45:57 pm »
I picked up a new customer who complained she couldn't keep a window cleaner, text eve before to say I'd be around end of working day. Got there and she asked me to leave it as she hadn't walked the dog and would I mind calling back the following day. Dumped on the spot, wasn't going to faff around with the new clean, told her not to waste my time again, don't take on messers with hassle attached.

rosskesava

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 12:33:53 am »
When I dump a customer I always feel good about it because I've always had a good reason to do that. I couldn't care less about their rantings or moaning or winging or put downs or this odd things about who gets the last word. I'm usually just glad to be rid of them.

The strange thing is that over the years, all the customers I have dumped I always had a feeling about from day one.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.