Dean Aspects

Which is safer???
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:23:36 am »
Is wfp any safer than using ladders?

I have used ladders for the last 12 years and have used them safely
using ladders i have no accidents but one serious near miss where i could have come a cropper but was lucky(my own stupid fault)

Now using wfp for about 2 years although i am not going to fall from a great height is it any safer?
 You could trip over your hose get electricuted fall over obsticles when looking up or get diseased from water purification or a number of other issues so is it any safer?

Now before you get on your high horse and beat me down with a stick(or pole ;)) i would never go back to using ladders as its far too tiring and due to 2 foot injurys i can no longer work for too long on ladders but i think the question needs asking therefore only post serious replies please

Convince me

Paul Coleman

Re: Which is safer???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:14 am »
Is wfp any safer than using ladders?

I have used ladders for the last 12 years and have used them safely
using ladders i have no accidents but one serious near miss where i could have come a cropper but was lucky(my own stupid fault)

Now using wfp for about 2 years although i am not going to fall from a great height is it any safer?
 You could trip over your hose get electricuted fall over obsticles when looking up or get diseased from water purification or a number of other issues so is it any safer?

Now before you get on your high horse and beat me down with a stick(or pole ;)) i would never go back to using ladders as its far too tiring and due to 2 foot injurys i can no longer work for too long on ladders but i think the question needs asking therefore only post serious replies please

Convince me

I'm not going to try and convince you.  I had several near misses on ladders but I've fallen over more plant pots and hoses with WFP.  I think I've had more falls with WFP but they have all been at ground level.  They can still be lethal though.

DASERVICES

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 08:15:26 am »
The thing I hate is when you release the clamp and the pole comes crashing down onto your finger which you have stupidly left in the way. The ouch, you start jumping around with a baffled looking customer looking on.  ;D

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:19:35 am »
The thing I hate is when you release the clamp and the pole comes crashing down onto your finger which you have stupidly left in the way. The ouch, you start jumping around with a baffled looking customer looking on.  ;D

;D
Been there done that

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:20:44 am »
As the above two posters have said - injuries tend to be more minor with wfp. Mind you, stepping out into the path of a bus is a possibility on some jobs!

As the late great Fred Dibnah (steeplejack) said " You only fall off a chimney once!"

Tripping is always a problem, overhead wires tend to be low voltage or insulated in Britain and getting tangled in the hose irritates me.
It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:34:48 am »
I only ever hurt myself once on 10 years of ladders.

3 months of wfp and I've done allsorts.

sunshine windows

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 01:41:24 pm »
I've thought of an injury that could result in using a mixture of ladders and wfp.

I could quite easily see wfp'ers forgetting they're on a first or second floor roof, happily cleaning away and then misplacing a foot over the edge.

:'(

Lance
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Helen

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:26:18 pm »
both methods have pros and cons, but you have to remember the safety aspect is about "working at height". that means the height that the work is at. To clean at 24 foot from the ground with wfp is safer than to climb a ladder 24 foot and then do the work. As for backing into things you could do this when carrying your ladder to the work aswell, you could do this just walking round your garden minding your own business/ It is all about eliminating the risk of a fall as much as is possible.  Electric wires, please lets not go there again? ;D ;D