giftedk

how do you do it
« on: July 20, 2005, 08:22:54 pm »
wfp, do you spray the glass then brush and then spray again ?.someone said to me finish off with an s shape, what does this mean ?

AuRavelling79

Re: how do you do it
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 09:58:46 pm »
Order of work on first clean.

Waterflow low but adequate. (Sorry, you'll only get this by trial and error - but you don't want to be getting dirt sprayed off the brickwork/rendering or vents - however you need enough water flow to gently sluice away any muck)

Brush any bird muck thoroughly. (If it's stubborn go back again after you've done the frames and it's had a chance to soften up.)
Clean top frame thoroughly (but avoid vents - dirt traps)
Do side frames and transom bars (cross pieces of frame)
Do other uprights (pay attention to uprights between top openers with a large pane below - these are dirt traps and will often run dirty water down when you think you've finished)
Clean bottom frame including a bit of the glass

Brush all glass working from top to bottom.
Run brush gently across top of pane so that top edge of brush skirts frame where it meets the glass letting water "sheet" down the glass (Sometimes, for no apparent reason the water will "bead" and run in little rivulets - that's ok but be thorough.)

Brush Cills.

On subsequent cleans the frames need less attention although every few months do a clean to "first time".standard.
It's a game of three halves!

gaza

Re: how do you do it
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:26:51 pm »
Malc : spot on reply : when it beads though I find it best to start at top when rinsing and move brush side to side all the way down pane,that way it means youve covered the window in a sheeting method.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO