cjs

Cleaning In The Rain
« on: July 19, 2005, 04:28:19 pm »
Who cleans in the rain ? I live in South Yorkshire and form part of a partnership of 6 lads, over a year we average cleaning 4 outa 5 days a week. We clean mostly residential properties, and our customers wouldn't put up with this practice, and yet when driving home after being "rained off", I see many window cleaners still out there.
Any opinions appreciated

Mike_G

Re: Cleaning In The Rain
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 04:36:51 pm »
I don't clean residential in the rain, but I also see plenty that do if your customer does not mind then fine, but most of mine prefer clear skies and one or two moan if they think it might rain that week let alone that day! 

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 04:50:29 pm »
our customers wouldn't put up with this practice, [cleaning in the rain]

Have you tried it?  I thought my customers might get funny with me; but none have when I do it.  If I've a big clump of houses in one area and it starts raining, 9 out of 10 times I'll finish the area first.

Then again, I 'say' I clean in the rain, but I've never done a full day of cleaning in the rain.  Plenty of half days though.  Oh, apart from once.

I also wouldn't clean if it was 'belting down'.  Light to moderate; yes.

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 05:01:22 pm »
If you are cleaning a one-off, or first-time customer, you will have to do it in fair weather.  I doubt there's any point in trying otherwise because these customers are expecting a great service and big difference in their window's appearence.

However, all maintenance accounts (monthly, etc...) shouldn't really matter.  That's because rain doesn't prevent you from getting the windows clean.  Just prevents home owner from seeing the window cleaned (covered with rain droplets).

I always tell my customers that I will make my appointed time whether it's raining or snowing or sunny.  It will not effect the results of your service.

Sometimes when raining, they ask:  why are you here today!??  I tell them:  I really care about my customers...this weather won't keep me from taking care of you.  That always works for me.

CAUTION--  For obvious reasons, don't use a pole if there is lightning, eh?

eddie d

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 05:27:43 pm »
 i clean whenever i want .when i take on a customer i tell them i work in all weathers. that means sometimes i do.
 im not one of these airyfairy shiners.
come on

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 09:27:32 pm »
As long as its not tipping it down I carry on working, when they come to pay I make the usual jokes about cleaning windows in the rain, if I have any new customers I also do them (it's never too early to train them that you are a window cleaner not the weather man)

As you I used to be concerned that the customers would object but in the main they don't but for the odd one that does I'll leave them for that clean (and the next)(and if they really got to me the next) when I go back they don't say a word and they never seem to object again.

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 09:37:08 pm »
my customers ask me to clean in the rain like i tell them im not a seasonal window cleaner and do a bit of decorating in the winter and any way rwain water is nearlly as pure as wfp water its the dirt allready on the glass that makes them spotty

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 04:37:17 am »
Wish I could at this point.  This week is upper 90's.  Next week they are forcasting triple digits.  I don't mind 95 degrees...but 101 is a bit much. 

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 09:03:15 pm »
A couple of days of any weather and my missus goes on one
Too Hot
Too Cold
Too windy
Too Wet  you get the idea.

As a lad My father worked in a bakery and would come home in the middle of summer and put the gas fire on saying it's a bit chilly.

Nothing to do with the thread but I thought I'd share it with you.

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

S Page

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 09:14:23 pm »
As mentioned by someone else - I don't bother if it's pouring down but a bit of drizzle doesn't hurt.

Have found that light drizzle is workable if most of the work is blade work but if there's too much damp in the air then Georgian and Leaded windows are no go as you can't polish the glass up as the cloths keep getting wet.

One customer asked me not to bother one day as she said it looked like rain, another asked me to do them whether it was raining or not. You get them all cleaning windows  ::)  Thing is it could be dry today and wet tomorrow, should I not bother just in case..... That's the fun of the British weather  ;)

eddie d

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 08:15:18 pm »
 i dont get it .i work in all weathers rain ,snow,sun.whats the difference.( sorry i cant pay my mortgage as its been raining this month)

Philip Hanson

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 08:25:21 pm »
With cleaning in the rain I'm with Nike

JUST DO IT

If customers moan then drop em in a heartbeat.  Cheeky monkeys they are if they complain, let em get someone else.

Rain indeed, no other trade would tolerate that from customers.  Sorry to moan, but it really gets my goat that.  They should be glad for a decent window cleaner, because us pros are in very short supply.

-Phil
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Skowee

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 10:48:42 pm »
Just tell them you are cleaning last months dirt off and you will return next month to clean this lot