bumper

bank lost cheques
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:37:03 pm »
just got a letter from bank saying the cheques i paid in  for £88.00  on july 2, they have lost them, they have cleared a week ago ,they say its there fault and can i give them all the names and adresses of people and bank account numbers who paid by cheque,well the woman behind the desk asked me can they all go in as one, i said yes so, i dornt know who paid by cheque ive had some 2 weeks and some for £3.00 pound  £5.00 so on and so on,i just put them away till ive got a few of  them and  bank them. ???

Re: bank lost cheques
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 04:15:47 pm »
Bumper,

I do the same and tell cashier that the cheques can all go in together.  It makes it easier for them.

I take it you've proof you've paid the cheques in and they've already admitted being at fault.

No-one here I doubt keeps a 'cheque schedule' where you write down the account number, sort code and account name of everyone we receive cheques from; because it 'normally' would be a bit of extra useless administration on our parts.

What did the bank say when you told them you hadn't got a clue who the cheques were from?

dai

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 06:54:20 pm »
 I keep a book for all cheque payments. I just write the date, the cheque number, name of the person and the amount. I also update the total as I go along, then when I bank I don't have to add them all up again. I do this in case there is any dispute later. some people pay months in arrears and some pay in advance. This system has proved usefull in the past.
If someone says "I paid you for that clean, I sent a cheque" I can give them the date and cheque number and show them that was for a previous clean. Dai

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 07:03:21 pm »
in my paying book, on my stub where I list the cheques, I usually just put the surname (or nickname) of the customer to the one side of the amount.
I certainly don't keep a record of sort codes and so on!
But I would certainly know which customers paid me by cheque, and on which day they were paid in.
If the money has gone into your account, and your paying in book has been stamped, why worry?

Question; Are some of you saying that you don't list the individual cheques in your paying in book? or duplicate those entries in your stub ???

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

bumper

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 07:11:02 pm »
only got letter today,but im not going round asking did you pay by cheque i think most of them will say fook off,its just like money if i lost a tenner and go back to customer and say ive lost your tenner can you give me another one please ;D its bad enough collecting, not going round did you pay by cheque,  half worn't remeber,the cheques have cleared its the bank whos lost them,its like if you dorn't pay your credit card bill on time they charge you £30.00 plus intrest coz its my fault. ill have to say sorry carn't help you.

bumper

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 07:17:15 pm »
i get the cheques off customers, put them in my glove compartment'when i have about ten in 2 or 3 weeks time i bank them, thats it if they bounce they send them back then i know who give it to me,were talking £3.00 pound here £4.00 there ,not worth booking down.if it was £88.00  one cheques  id know who it was of.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 07:36:03 pm »
Ian,

You don't need a paying in book for all banks.  All I do is give my bank the cheques with my card.  They then process them and print of a 'payment slip' which I keep.

All this slip says is the amount I've credited to the bank and when it'll clear.

gaza

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 07:46:04 pm »
I scan all my cheques and put them in a folder no argument then.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 10:22:21 pm »
Bumper,

I do the same and tell cashier that the cheques can all go in together.  It makes it easier for them.

I take it you've proof you've paid the cheques in and they've already admitted being at fault.

No-one here I doubt keeps a 'cheque schedule' where you write down the account number, sort code and account name of everyone we receive cheques from; because it 'normally' would be a bit of extra useless administration on our parts.

What did the bank say when you told them you hadn't got a clue who the cheques were from?

I don't keep a cheque schedule as such but I do photopy every cheque that goes into my account (6 to an A4 sheet - 3 per side) and I write next to each one the address of the payer.  That doesn't help the original poster but it may help for future reference if he has a scanner and printer (I assume he has if he has a computer).