The Bear

Wet Leg
« on: July 14, 2005, 04:05:01 pm »
Still getting wet leg from Bucket on belt. Is it me?

baldeagle

Re: Wet Leg
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
Me too - been thinking about fashioning a sort of waterproof "apron" that fits on my belt but hangs behind the BOAB.

Baldeagle in Staffordshire.
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 05:05:51 pm »
Same here  - kept snagging the applicator handle on trousers but found that if I slide the unger pouch (bright green nylon type not the grey one) right up to the boab loop, it reduces snag and, in turn, the spill

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 05:12:09 pm »
Must remember to put payments in other pocket....
Wet leg =wet money!  Done that?
Don't mind a wet leg this weather, not nice in winter.
I use the slightly older version of the unger green bucket on belt, it's a bit longer than the newer ones, less places for tools though, but fits the aplicator deeper.
Pj

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 05:14:07 pm »
I never used to have much problem with wet-leg, but last year or so it's been awful.
Reckon I'm rushing more and using more water.

Main problem I get is that the edges get rough and make gashes out of my squeegee rubber. >:(

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 06:15:37 pm »
Still getting wet leg from Bucket on belt. Is it me?

Yes.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 06:21:35 pm »
I never used to have much problem with wet-leg, but last year or so it's been awful.
Reckon I'm rushing more and using more water.

Main problem I get is that the edges get rough and make gashes out of my squeegee rubber. >:(

A solution for that is to get a squeegee handle cover and insert it into the BOAB where the squeegee goes.  An added bonus is that the squeegee doesn't fall out so easily.  Also, in spite of my brief attempt at humour replying to The Bear, I have found that the wet leg problem diminishes as the applicator sleeve gets older as it isn't retaining as much moisture.  I work with a drier applicatoir sleeve than I used to as well and tend to dab it into the water bucket more often rather than soaking it.

s.hughes

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 06:30:59 pm »
I just use my bucket on a belt for holding the applicator I dont put any water in it but I still get a wet leg. I use the ettore side kick, its good in fact the best i've come across but gap is smaller than others which squeeges out water.

Steveyboy

sair

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 07:36:37 pm »
thought i mastered not getting wet leg until i changed a few months ago from washing upliquid  to gg3 and 4 . its all your fault saying how good it was thought i better try it out ... realy like the stuff but leg gets wetter than ever cant wait until the winter to feal that lovely cold chill on my legs
Essentially Pure Ltd

rosskesava

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 08:02:35 pm »
I certainly love that sodden wet feeling down one leg in the middle of winter.

I just can't work out why every so often I do that.

Cheers

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 08:45:59 pm »
Keeps you warm doesn't it Ross? ;D

dai

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 09:15:39 pm »
I get the problem too using a backflip. I find that the smaller backflip causes the most problems as there is more water slopping around in the bottom of the bucket. I find it is better to push the bucket round nearer my back, if your banging your knee against it when you are going up the ladder it makes it worse of course. I get caught out when i'm styling the ladder to get over a locked gate. yOU DON'T NOTICE THAT YOUR BUCKET HAS CAUGHT ON A RUNG UNTILL THE WHOLE LOT RUNS DOWN YOUR LEG. I allways wear polyester trousers for this reason, never jeans, thats no consolation though when you cop for a really good spill and fill your shoe like I DID THE OTHER DAY. Dai

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 09:34:25 pm »
If you work with others the problem of water going down your (their) leg can be an advantage.

Before they put their BOAB on fill it up with water first.

Also Dai, that problem of getting the thing caught on a rung sent me nuts last winter.

Cheers

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 11:09:23 pm »
In the winter I get an old scrim fold it so that its about 8" wide and then put it down the inside of my trousers in the same possition as the b.o.a.b falls,with the top of the scrim looped over the top of my trousers, this works great as it stops the water getting through,
I've also used the leg of an old pair of jeans cut up to make a short apron that protects the top of my legs this also works well, Ive found the secret is not to waterproof the area as all that happens is the water just wet's your leg further down.

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

The Bear

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 03:43:04 pm »
I think I may have the answer.

Today I borrowed my mates applicator, he has one with an abrasive pad on one side.

His T bar was an unger ergotec with a piece of black rubber near the junction,

http://cleantech.co.uk/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=26_62&products_id=81

Like the one above. I noticed it fits better into my BOAB.

After I had done with his applicator, I put my sleeve on his T bar.

Result, no wet leg.

The black rubber hold it snugly in place.

The answer is to use this type of T bar.

Do any others who dont get wet leg use one brand of tools?

It may work if you put some elastic bands around the junction, I will try this on monday and report back.

g_griffin

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 05:17:23 pm »
Cut a gap in an old pouch, where the belt goes through, about the same size as the BOAB loop. Thread your belt through the pouch and loop and attach your BOAB.
   You then have a pouch as an apron.

Gerry.

windolene

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 06:59:37 pm »
Wet leg from bucket on a belt!

New one on me! 

As has been mentioned only use it for its intended purpose which is to to put squeegee/applicator in & not water.

The only problem I encounter is that you cant close the car door while sitting in the drivers seat, so now un clip it.

Kevin

The Bear

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 07:20:05 pm »
I dont put water in it, its just that the wet applicator, if it doesn't go in right, scrapes the side nearest your leg and dribbles down.

Iv'e found the new unger t bar helps it sit properly.

By the way I always take my pockets and BOAB off and hang them over the back of my seat.

baldeagle

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 10:54:54 am »
Just noticed that one pair of my "window cleaning" trousers has a large, permanent watermark all down the left leg, where my BOAB hangs; [I'm a left-hander].

Doesn't come out when washed, and I'm just wondering if my leg will end up like my windows, clean, bright, wonderfully shiny and see-through!

But not as brittle as glass, I hope!

Baldeagle in Staffordshire.
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 03:45:47 pm »

Do any others who dont get wet leg use one brand of tools?

I use the Etorre side-kick (just to hold my tools also), but I never get water running down.  I use a 20" ettore scrubber with pivoting handle.  It's the biggest you can fit in the sidekick.  Never had that problem