Steve.D

Gloves
« on: July 12, 2005, 01:16:57 pm »
Do any of you wear gloves or use a type of waterproof barrier cream. I'm thinking that having your hands constantly wet and the long term effect of detergents etc may cause skin problems.

Spanner

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:18:28 pm »
Exfoliate and moisturize   ;)

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:59:03 pm »
Never had to use gloves, but pure water iv found does tend to dry your hands out, so a cream would help. I have never had chapped hands, but some do.

Roy :)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 03:57:48 pm »
I suffer with my hands, particularly in the Winter when my hands stay wetter for longer.

I've tried various barrier creams, including Derma Shield (Google for it) which costs around £30 a can, but in the end I have had to wear gloves.

I've tried Unger gloves, but they didn't seem to last long (a few weeks in some cases before leaking), they also made my hands stink and at £20 - £25 a pair they weren't cheap for a pair of 'disposable' gloves.

Then I switched to a cotton inner and a rubber gloved outer (not a pink marigold mind).  When the inner gets wet from sweat - I just switch to a dry pair.  They take a little getting used to - a little bit bulky for writing out an invoice - but they do protect your hands 100%.

I also use a quality hand cream, such as Nuetrogena (spelling?) and have a hydrocortisone cream for when my ezema breaks out.

Fairy also really dries out my hands, so sometimes I'll switch to a 'professional' window cleaning fluid.  Not because it cleans the windows better, but just to give my hands a break.

It's a pain being so sensitive!

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:02:17 pm »
I clean several stores called Bath & Body works.  The manager at one insists that I use certain products on my hands.  I have to admit, when my hands are getting dry these products are great.  

Just a good moisturizing lotion will help a lot.  Also, clean your hands well with a brush to get any detergents out of your skin.

I think your skin gets used to the water eventually.  Sometimes weather plays a role in dry skin (cold or dry air).  I find that I need lotion to restore moisture only on a rare occasion, but more so in the winter.

There are gloves you can buy that are waterproof (summer or winter).  Some of these work very well.  However, even the best of these gloves still cause you to lose some dexterity and you spend more time cleaning windows (trad method).  WFP in the winter, I am sure it's an understatement that gloves are a necessity.

I am not familiar with a waterproofing barrier that you can rub onto your skin.  I wonder if long term use of such a product would be bad for you.

jsm

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 09:56:54 pm »
I suffer with my hands, particularly in the Winter when my hands stay wetter for longer.

I've tried various barrier creams, including Derma Shield (Google for it) which costs around £30 a can, but in the end I have had to wear gloves.

I've tried Unger gloves, but they didn't seem to last long (a few weeks in some cases before leaking), they also made my hands stink and at £20 - £25 a pair they weren't cheap for a pair of 'disposable' gloves.

Then I switched to a cotton inner and a rubber gloved outer (not a pink marigold mind).  When the inner gets wet from sweat - I just switch to a dry pair.  They take a little getting used to - a little bit bulky for writing out an invoice - but they do protect your hands 100%.

I also use a quality hand cream, such as Nuetrogena (spelling?) and have a hydrocortisone cream for when my ezema breaks out.

Fairy also really dries out my hands, so sometimes I'll switch to a 'professional' window cleaning fluid.  Not because it cleans the windows better, but just to give my hands a break.

It's a pain being so sensitive!

Like you I suffer from the cracking hands , I have to wear gloves all the time , even wfping  >:( if not my hands are in a right state .
I have used most of the gloves on the market and in the end found the cotton inner with the BLACK vileleader heavy duty glove works well , nice and cheap. I change the cotton glove when they get a bit sweaty keeping the hands fresh . You can wash them out and re-use them as well .
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout

Mike_G

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:08:59 pm »
I saw some diving gloves advertised in a flyer the other day from Lidl made from the same stuff as unger gloves but only £6 worth a go if they have any left.

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 11:47:13 pm »
Hi Tosh

hydrocortisone cream for when my ezema breaks out.

It may be worth checking out on the net for side effects. It contains a steroid which masks the symtoms which then become chronic but which are still masked by the steroid. Hence how that drug company makes good profits from it. You will use it and use it and use it and use it ...............................

There are a lot which are more effective in helping to preserve the mesh under the skin which when it breaks down and doesn't repair quick enough, leads to ezema.

The body shop does a really really good hemp oil hand cream. Hemp oil is one of the best things for skin. Try it.

Also the cortisone bit of the cream helps to surpress the immunse system (from causing the reaction that is ezema).

All the things that doctors never say and the drug companies hush up... I wonder why...?

Cheers

ps I forgot to add that I used to suffer badly from ezema but being in and working in coutries where no drug companies so called cures were available, I used natural ones. Hemp oil was the best.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 12:09:58 am »
NEUTRAGENA
It's a good daily barrier cream.  You may not think so at first, but bear in mind that the Icelandik fishermen use it!!!!!
That is some recommendation....so I'm told.  I use it in winter, it works.
Smother your hands in it about an hour before U go to work.  I've been using it for years.  I hate dry cracked hands, I play guitar as a hobbie.  No plug intended.
Pj

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 02:59:15 pm »
The body shop does a really really good hemp oil hand cream. Hemp oil is one of the best things for skin. Try it

I'll give it a bash.  Cheers, Ross. 

Ahem.  I hope none of my mates know I've been discussing hand creams!

The Bear

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 05:44:38 pm »
Sorry but I cant see how your hands are wet all the time.

I have a bit of a problem with dry hands in winter, but not to the degree you seem to be talking about.

When they do get bad, I use Neutragena. (sic)

s.hughes

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 06:05:04 pm »
I have tried loads of gloves and find the cheap marigolds are the best. Blue of course not yellow. However I dont use these all day as I find it slows me down.
I dont like using hand creams while I'm working but I will get that stuff Ross is talking about.
One year I had really bad hands due to the cold weather. I had to put on some special cream and throw away gloves. But this wasnt while I worked, no it was when I slept at night, doctors orders. Now I try and look after myself a bit better.

Steveyboy

dai

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 10:14:01 pm »
I always use gloves summer and winter, I use a glove called super grip. They are a lot thicker than marigolds but come off dead easy for handling money writing on tickets etc. Using my favourite wooden ladder with ally rungs, gloves stop me getting splinters, Also handy when you tread in the brown stuff and get it on your rungs. Ah! that horrid smell when you find what the old miners used to call a gold watch. DAi

H h20

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 10:32:03 pm »
I always use gloves summer and winter, I use a glove called super grip. They are a lot thicker than marigolds but come off dead easy for handling money writing on tickets etc. Using my favourite wooden ladder with ally rungs, gloves stop me getting splinters, Also handy when you tread in the brown stuff and get it on your rungs. Ah! that horrid smell when you find what the old miners used to call a gold watch. DAi
Well atleast the brown stuff you are on about is from the k9 species,i was doing a job yesterday and oh boy it was hot,there was an horrific smell really close infact too close infact right infront of me hanging off the wall was a massive turd most definatley human because on the floor was a pair of pants coverd in wipe marks and to my disgust (heaving) it had been wiped on the window and there was no way i was going to clean it off,why why why?????? what on earth goes through peoples minds to do that?????? and it was on a main road as well,i still feel sick now.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 11:43:11 pm »
hi Tosh, next time we go for a pint I'll carefully wipe down the glass, don't want that beer to bring your tough Geordie hands out in a rash!

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 08:59:41 am »
hi Tosh, next time we go for a pint I'll carefully wipe down the glass, don't want that beer to bring your tough Geordie hands out in a rash!

Regards,

Ian

Shut it!

Regards

Tosh

Ken

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 02:54:08 pm »
I went in to a farm supply place in Monmouth and bought some barrier vream that can also be used to moisturise udders! I tell you what, it was brilliant. No chapped hands and they come clean as at the end of the day.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 05:24:14 pm »
Pull the udder one Ken! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 05:59:35 pm »
As long as it helps you get a mooooooo-ve on.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 06:00:47 pm »
Come on, it's about time we stopped milking this joke now. ;D