The Jester of Wibbly

Record hot day tommorow.
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:20:34 am »
Going to peak at 39 degrees in parts tomorrow. Going to be tough going.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Shrek

Re: Record hot day tommorow.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 07:22:37 am »
Iv finished today for nearly 2 weeks  :D

andyM

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 07:31:10 am »

Yeah it's crazy.
Yesterday was bad enough and it got up to 32c.
But apparently us window cleaners are supposed to like working in it?   
One of the Plebs

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 07:38:29 am »
well i cant wait to go out today and tomorrow, yipee window cleaning in 30 degrees  ???

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:43:20 am »
you guys are so lucky !

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

andyM

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 07:43:55 am »
well i cant wait to go out today and tomorrow, yipee window cleaning in 30 degrees  ???

Im ready!

One of the Plebs

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 08:29:54 am »

Yeah it's crazy.
Yesterday was bad enough and it got up to 32c.
But apparently us window cleaners are supposed to like working in it?   

my thread was posted yesterday morning before it got too hot..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 08:35:19 am »

most people who really suffer in hot weather are old people and people that are generally not physically fit,eat a poor diet,dont drink enough water and are not prepared with hat,sunglasses,sun cream etc.....

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 08:44:35 am »
35 tomorrow, thats looking dodgy. I've been known to  do building site labouring in Israel where the temp was 40°C laying block paving.

Im going to give it a go tomorrow but unsure how that'll pan out as Im not as fit as I used to be .......

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 08:51:39 am »
35 tomorrow, thats looking dodgy. I've been known to  do building site labouring in Israel where the temp was 40°C laying block paving.

Im going to give it a go tomorrow but unsure how that'll pan out as Im not as fit as I used to be .......

im sure you ll be fine matt......your an avid cyclist arent you?

to be fair 35c is hot!i dont think its gonna get that hot here in the north west but wont be far behind(32c).....i only work short days anyway so i should be done by 3pm

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 10:35:23 am »
I’ll be alright ...... I’m taking an apple to work!
🍎

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 10:52:38 am »
Was going to say that today is the last day of work for me this week until Monday and so I can chill with family Thursday.  Sadly I'm out of water and so will be working tomoro instead now, but should be fine
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 11:35:01 am »
Going back to cold water for few days.  Quick splash a few times is worth turning hot off.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Pete Thompson

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 11:45:33 am »
Here’s my pro tip, been doing it for a few months when it’s hot:

Put a bottle of water in the freezer, and another 2 in the fridge overnight ( like a 1.5 litre Evian  or Buxton or whatever)

Then, in the morning take all 3 (2 cold and 1 frozen).

For the first hour, drink one of the cold ones. By about 11am, about 25% of the frozen bottle will have melted, drink this ice cold water, it’s like heaven.

Then keep refilling the frozen bottle from the others. After a few minutes in the (now semi frozen) bottle, the refilled water gets ice cold.

During the day the ice gradually melts, but as long as there is some ice left the refilled water will be cooled by it.

You can keep drinking and refilling this for a full days supply of ice cold water.

Your welcome.

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 03:38:54 pm »

Put a bottle of water in the freezer, and another 2 in the fridge overnight ( like a 1.5 litre Evian  or Buxton or whatever)

For the first hour, drink one of the cold ones. By about 11am, about 25% of the frozen bottle will have melted, drink this ice cold water, it’s like heaven.

Then keep refilling the frozen bottle from the others. After a few minutes in the (now semi frozen) bottle, the refilled water gets ice cold.

During the day the ice gradually melts, but as long as there is some ice left the refilled water will be cooled by it.

You can keep drinking and refilling this for a full days supply of ice cold water.

Your welcome.

Great tip

Except if you are up north you can't afford evian or Buxton so will have to use asda own brand or similar

andyM

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
Just got home and now im chilling by the fan..... with just my pants on.
'Tis a sight to behold.   
One of the Plebs

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 04:26:01 pm »
Just got home and now im chilling by the fan..... with just my pants on.
'Tis a sight to behold.   

Likewise, but I have a portable air conditioner. Bliss.
It's a game of three halves!

JackieW

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 06:47:44 pm »

Your welcome.

I just take a big thermos flask of water with ice cubes in it. Stays  cold  all day. Usually too cold to drink if I put in too many ice cubes.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 07:30:33 pm »
i dont take anything extra with me to work than i normally do apart from a blue ice block from the freezer(in my lunch box)....i always take a flask of tea,some milk,sandwiches,yoghurt,protein bar and some fruit plus a gym bottle of water.i might add another piece of fruit like a nectarine/apple but thats it....

ive usually got customers offering me drinks so ill have  water or coffee(or both!).....if im really thirsty ill drink  out of a customers outside tap but i cant remember the last time i had to do this! ;D

itll soon be winter lads........ :D

andyM

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 07:47:52 pm »
i dont take anything extra with me to work than i normally do apart from a blue ice block from the freezer(in my lunch box)....

You actually put a freezer block down your pants?   

Bravo! 
One of the Plebs

Spotfree

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 07:55:26 pm »
I normally start at 9 am, I have just rung my first 9 customers and am now starting at 6 am.

So instead of baking till 3 pm I'll be done for midday, There'll be less traffic and hopefully customers will be in bed or busy.

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 08:06:18 pm »
I normally start at 9 am, I have just rung my first 9 customers and am now starting at 6 am.

So instead of baking till 3 pm I'll be done for midday, There'll be less traffic and hopefully customers will be in bed or busy.

really? ::)roll ;D

id rather bake in the sun than start that early! ;D

ill be on the glass around 9am-930am and should be finished by 230pm-3pm......usual day/routine......

deeege

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 08:10:55 pm »
I’ll also be out shortly after 6am tomorrow. I wouldn’t even consider doing Domestics at that time though.

If it was genuinely  too hot to work (I don’t believe it is) I’d rather just have the afternoon off than phone my domestic customers and start them at 6am.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Spotfree

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:30 pm »
I'm made up with starting early, its the best time of day to get stuff done.

When I used to work shifts I used to love the 6-2 shift, great in the summer. Same when I worked for British gas, I used to call round the night before and get a good head start. Finish early and off down the gym before all the posers and ponces.

deeege

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 08:37:38 pm »

When I used to work shifts I used to love the 6-2 shift, great in the summer. Same when I worked for British gas, I used to call round the night before and get a good head start. Finish early and off down the gym before all the posers and ponces.

I completely agree, I’m exactly the same, early bird catches the worm.

But domestics? All your custies will still be in bed or atleast just waking up. I’d find it massively awkward doing domestics at that time.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 09:18:20 pm »
I'd love to do that to be honest 6 - 11/12 would be great.

But only in the summer when it's light/hot

Would be horrible in the winter.

But alas I can't start at 6 on domestic, especially in the school holidays.

Going to start at 8 tomorrow, which I think is pushing it, I normal don't clean before 9...

Only working till 12, sod doing a full day in this heat.

zesty

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2019, 09:22:05 pm »

Going to start at 8 tomorrow, which I think is pushing it, I normal don't clean before 9...

When I worked with a family friend, we always started at half 7, he knew which customers were up early, so was never a problem. You  soon get to know who’s up and about/off to work early.

I start at 8am, more cos I like a bit extra kip, but half 7 wouldn’t phase me. Just a case of knowing who to start at.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2019, 09:39:24 pm »

But domestics? All your custies will still be in bed or atleast just waking up. I’d find it massively awkward doing domestics at that time.

its not just the awkwardness of all your customers being in(and some still in bed!) either!its the cars on the drive,street,etc.....

i reckon itll be the first and last time he starts on domestics at 6am! ;D

colin bird

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2019, 09:41:37 pm »
I do the frozen bottle of water,I also put a towel in the sink soak it then wring it out put it in a carrier bag and put in freezer,when you go to work take it out the freezer,as it Thawes rub your face and neck,lasts for hours, works for me

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 09:43:28 pm »

try and add some commercial work then.....i have some i could start at 6am if i wanted but i never do....i go bed at around midnight most nights so not up til 7am-730am most days and i like a good breakfast before i head out the door and at least 90 mins to wake up properly.... ;D

Missing Link

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2019, 09:45:05 pm »
We're bringing a garden centre we do inside and out a day early.

Early start and we can finish the insides off later in the afternoon.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 07:19:54 am »
woke up early today for me(6am) so ill be "on the glass" for 830am.....should be done for 2pm...... 8)

zesty

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 07:34:23 am »
woke up early today for me(6am) so ill be "on the glass" for 830am.....should be done for 2pm...... 8)

I’m starting at 8, even hotter down here Daz, I’m
Up for the challenge 😎

Shrek

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 07:35:09 am »

really? ::)roll ;D

id rather bake in the sun than start that early! ;D

ill be on the glass around 9am-930am and should be finished by 230pm-3pm......usual day/routine......

So much for the usual routine then   😂😂😂

Missing Link

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2019, 07:40:48 am »
We've decided to sack it off; I've got a ton of admin to do.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Dave Willis

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2019, 07:52:57 am »
Nearly finished. 5.30 start this morning. Rest of the day off for me.

Stoots

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2019, 12:23:09 pm »
Did 8-12

Far too hot today, I'm getting burnt through my shirt.

nathankaye

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 01:44:42 pm »
I'm gutted with water situation as I would have finished yesterday and been able to enjoy this heat (though I did enjoy yesterday off)
Currently having a hot drink (which tricks the body n kicks it into cooling itself) in an air conditioned building, and boy is it cool.
Just another couple of hours to go and then that's me till Monday.
Enjoy chaps and stay safe/hydrated
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 02:05:29 pm »
I'm gutted with water situation as I would have finished yesterday and been able to enjoy this heat (though I did enjoy yesterday off)
Currently having a hot drink (which tricks the body n kicks it into cooling itself) in an air conditioned building, and boy is it cool.
Just another couple of hours to go and then that's me till Monday.
Enjoy chaps and stay safe/hydrated

Hot drink trick doesn’t work when it’s humid Nathan.

Ice cold drinks work far batter in this weather!

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2019, 03:15:53 pm »
only nathan could think a hot drink would cool you down in this heat!its a myth.....it doesnt...... ;D

thermometer got up to 34c here in the north west..........i did indeed work 830am-2pm.....purified my water for tomorrow and put batteries on charge.i can relax now........ 8)

gonna take the dog on a long walk this evening when it cools down a bit in a local park....

time for an afternoon nap i reckon..... :).....take it easy chaps...

AuRavelling79

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2019, 03:32:43 pm »
Had one off today. Went out and tinkered with my motorbike (in the shade of the car port) which has a very annoying intermittent indicator fault.

Still it was intermittent enough to get through it's last MOT last week and it will never need another one. Yay!
It's a game of three halves!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2019, 04:21:18 pm »
Well I managed 7am to 1pm.  So glad day was over by the time I had finished.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2019, 04:53:10 pm »
Same we stopped at 12:30 pretty pleased. Took the advice of a frozen bottle all these years  and I didn't think of that thank you

Ooooooog

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2019, 04:53:39 pm »
Knocked it on the head at 3pm.
37 c. Near Bedford.
Had an argument with the resident HS guy, he tried to tell me I couldn’t wear a sun hat and to wear a hard hat (working from a Mewp). Fool.

Slacky

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2019, 05:01:25 pm »
09:30 - 14.30 for me. Full days money. Temp got up tp 36 according to the vans temperature guage.

robbo333

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2019, 05:49:51 pm »
I just worked really slow, had lunch with a mate who's a window cleaner,
then met a mate, who's also a window cleaner, for an afternoon drink in the pub.
Still earned some dough!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2019, 06:09:57 pm »
I just worked really slow, had lunch with a mate who's a window cleaner,
then met a mate, who's also a window cleaner, for an afternoon drink in the pub.
Still earned some dough!

you ll never have any money drinking the afternoon away mate......what a waste of a day! ;D

dazmond

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2019, 06:16:56 pm »
back down to 23c-24c tomorrow lads which is much better for working.......even i have to admit it was a bit harsh working in 34c heat today.....its defo the sort of weather that could lead you to getting sunstroke if you stay in the hot sun too long....

zesty

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2019, 06:54:03 pm »
back down to 23c-24c tomorrow lads which is much better for working.......even i have to admit it was a bit harsh working in 34c heat today.....its defo the sort of weather that could lead you to getting sunstroke if you stay in the hot sun too long....

I don’t usually sweat much, but at 37 degrees today here in Essex I was sweating a lot. Still got through the day though.

I think some of it is in the mind. I just kept telling myself ‘it’s only a bit of heat, get on with it’

Crystal-clear

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2019, 07:16:59 pm »
39 degrees according to the phone feels like 41 it said at 1230 down south.plus the two of Three Degrees extra for all the concrete pavement apparently it makes it hotter.
Felt sick towards the end and I'm used to quite a lot of extreme Weather!

Slacky

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:40 pm »
The phone doesnt measure the temperature.

What does 41 feel like compared to what 39 feels like? How do you tell the difference?

nathankaye

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2019, 07:50:45 pm »
I knocked off at 1530, only had two houses left 😭
Swapped my polo tops with my logo on, to a cotton top with my logo, the downside is I opted for black. Normally not a problem, though today I lost a lot of salt and my black top had a lovely pattern of white stains. There was no way, I could carry on looking like that and decided to call it a day.

(next time I'm taking a spare top and including sport drinks in with my hydration plans)

The hot drink was nice and cooling, but these worked wonders as well

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2019, 07:53:49 pm »
Something else that helps in this weather

Makes for comfortable working
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spotfree

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2019, 08:01:35 pm »

its not just the awkwardness of all your customers being in(and some still in bed!) either!its the cars on the drive,street,etc.....

i reckon itll be the first and last time he starts on domestics at 6am! ;D

No, I simply wrang the ones I knew I could and asked if it's ok? they were fine about it, no problems.

I did 6 am till 1 pm and hit over £50 ph, a much better day, I had bags more energy in the morning.

deeege

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2019, 09:15:35 pm »
I knocked off at 1530, only had two houses left 😭
Swapped my polo tops with my logo on, to a cotton top with my logo, the downside is I opted for black. Normally not a problem, though today I lost a lot of salt and my black top had a lovely pattern of white stains. There was no way, I could carry on looking like that and decided to call it a day.

(next time I'm taking a spare top and including sport drinks in with my hydration plans)

The hot drink was nice and cooling, but these worked wonders as well

Any particular reason you mention your logo multiple times? Does the logo keep you cooler than a non logo top?

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2019, 10:12:10 pm »
Black polo tops just sounds like another level of crazy on a crazy hot day. I had no worries keeping cool in my string vest and damp knotted hanky.

Shrek

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2019, 10:14:04 pm »
Drinking hot drinks on a hot day dressed in a black logo’d Polo top , black shorts , black socks and I take it black shoes .... ffs 😂😂

Pete Thompson

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2019, 12:56:53 am »
Same we stopped at 12:30 pretty pleased. Took the advice of a frozen bottle all these years  and I didn't think of that thank you

Welcome! Been doing it for a while, works a treat.

dazmond

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2019, 03:01:37 am »
Drinking hot drinks on a hot day dressed in a black logo’d Polo top , black shorts , black socks and I take it black shoes .... ffs 😂😂

Yep.....but as long as one of your customers has a kids paddling pool you can lie down in (in full logod workwear!)in between hot cups of tea and coffee and a toby carvery you'll be fine!👍😎
Oh......before I forget......also make sure your using the heaviest brush you own on the end of your pole,the extra effort and sweat will cool you down!👌😛

zesty

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2019, 07:42:18 am »
Nathan,

Hot drinks do not cool you down on a hot humid day! Stop thinking they do! You character!

nathankaye

« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2019, 10:06:23 am »

I thought some of you have been in the army etc and others wanted to weight train to be better/stronger than the average man, yet out comes a little bit of sunshine and you all melt 😂😂
So my uniform is mostly black, I work in the rain and sunny days, and use a brush heavier than you dare to do,   and you want to poke fun at the one who does whilst your melting even thinking about it
😂😂😂

Grow some and man up
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2019, 10:38:13 am »

I thought some of you have been in the army etc and others wanted to weight train to be better/stronger than the average man, yet out comes a little bit of sunshine and you all melt 😂😂
So my uniform is mostly black, I work in the rain and sunny days, and use a brush heavier than you dare to do,   and you want to poke fun at the one who does whilst your melting even thinking about it
😂😂😂

Grow some and man up

Shrek

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2019, 11:18:24 am »
Can’t believe your comparing yourself to the military 😂

nathankaye

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2019, 11:27:15 am »
Nathan,

Hot drinks do not cool you down on a hot humid day! Stop thinking they do! You character!

I'm guessing not everyone can see through the crazy comments and have a 😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk