Darren H

Fiberglass floor paint
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:46:48 pm »
I've fiberglass the ply on my van floor just wondered what paint to put on it what have others used.
I was looking at run of the mill floor paint.

P @ F

Re: Fiberglass floor paint
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:05:03 pm »
Im pretty sure it should be the proper gel coat , soon after the glass has gone off ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:00:32 am »
I'm guessing you've just bought resin and matting rather than a "roofing kit" with coloured gel coat ..... I'd have thought if you roughed up the surface to provide good adhesion then garage floor paint would do the job ( mix some sand in if you'd like non slip ).

Darren H

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:03:11 am »
Yes just used the matting and resin.

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:57:40 pm »
I'm guessing you've just bought resin and matting rather than a "roofing kit" with coloured gel coat ..... I'd have thought if you roughed up the surface to provide good adhesion then garage floor paint would do the job ( mix some sand in if you'd like non slip ).

But if the floor paint is in any way pourus you will have wasted the time and money on the glass and matt , water will get in and rot you out without you even seeing it happen , then you have a major job on yer hands getting the glassfibre out , rather you than me bud !
Good luck  ;D

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:10 pm »

But if the floor paint is in any way pourus you will have wasted the time and money on the glass and matt , water will get in and rot you out without you even seeing it happen , then you have a major job on yer hands getting the glassfibre out , rather you than me bud !
Good luck  ;D
Fair enough, perhaps you're right. What would you suggest he does now though ? is it better for him to leave it bare ?

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 08:39:57 pm »
Im sure a decent floor paint like coovar will do the job providing that it can key to the surface of the glass , i only mentioned it as i have a few old timers who are paint  it if it dont move types  ;D
Some of the works have blistered , some have not even taken , as long as the surface is bone dry and lightly sanded you will stand a good chance of waterproofing it .
But all said and done the proper top coat for glass is gel coat and that is the way it is , otherwise you would have superyachts sinkin all over the place cos some geezer emulsioned them with Crown  ;D ;D ;D

Hawks

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:19:57 am »
....so, could Darren just buy some gel coat and apply that now or has that opportunity passed him ?  e.g.  is it meant to be applied straight after its cured ? I don't know btw, that's why I'm asking.

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 06:08:59 pm »
I think it can still be put on , but it probably wont adhere as well as if done fresh ?

mark m

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 06:20:16 pm »
it should be fine to put on now but I would just go over the  entire area with a sander just to give it something to adear to

Darren H

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:01:27 pm »
Thanks for all the advice gel coat has been ordered , I'll sand it down then apply it as soon as it arrives