wayne zabel

Rug problems Help please
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:30:14 pm »
I will try to upload some photos later but meanwhile any help advise would be welcome.

Cleaned a couple of cream/off white and green 100% wool rugs yesterday in the customers house.They were quite heavily soiled and used Powerburst and extracted with FF rinse.Got loads of dirty water in the waste tank and thought they had come up ok.

I got a call today saying that they had dried patchy - I went round and looked at them and was surprised at the outcome.One rug wasn't too bad but the other one was blotchy with lighter areas that were a lot lighter than the other areas that still looked dirty,it was as if i'd just extraced in certain areas and not others - I know I extracted the whole of the rugs not just patches.Any ideas why this has happened,the patches are only in the cream areas and the green patterned areas are fine.

The customer told me that she had cleaned them herself in the past with a Bissell cleaner.

When I saw them I offered to take them home and do them again in my garage but she didn't want this and said she might have a go again herself if there was nothing I could do at her home

The job also involved 2 bedroom carpets that she is happy with.

wayne zabel

Re: Rug problems Help please
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »
No the customer said she'd done them that morning so never bothered.

derek west

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:42:52 pm »
powerburst is high ph which has probably caused the hessian/jute in the backing to bleed. sounds like browning so you'll need some browning solution.

sounds like, but i could n be wrong

Paul Simpson

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »
Wouldn't use Powerburst myself on 100% wool
What colour are the patches?
Does it look like dirt or possibly browning where it hasn't been rinsed enough?
Had one where I had to use a high PH spray on carpet and some areas sprayed heavier than others with more soiling but rinsed the same all over. The heavier sprayed areas dried with brown patches.
Easily rectified.

Paul Simpson

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »
Bah! Derek beat me to it  ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »
what did she use to clean it herself with? was there alot of foam in ur waste tank?

Powerbust on wool = not a good idea.

Tony

wayne zabel

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:18 pm »
The problem isnt browning,it just looks dirty in some areas and cleaner/lighter in others

derek west

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:48:42 pm »
clean it again then, if its dirt then no probs, bet ya its browning. 50 new pence says it is.

wayne zabel

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »
what did she use to clean it herself with? was there alot of foam in ur waste tank?

Tony

She never said I should have asked her - she just said shes done them with a Bissell

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:56:17 pm »
If your saying its not browning then there's a  chance it was other products that she has used (i.e. bissel shampoo) and you didn't rinse out properly and its shown up now its dried. Its time consuming to remove these spills, so you maybe skipped thouorghly flushing out. Newbie mistake :)

Tony

wayne zabel

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:50 pm »
Cant seem to upload the photos as the upload folder is full. Will a reclean cure this problem.

derek west

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:06 pm »
if its dirt from the backing you'll need to dry it quick,

go on then, a quid

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:15 pm »
Need to heavy duty rinse with warm water, spray apply warm water to break down the surface tension then HWE the problem is that the shampoo from the bissell.

Shaun

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:33:12 pm »
I wonder if she has used something like vanish on them in the past and then you have hwe them and this has left bleached areas.

Its sometimes a good idea to ask the customer if they have used any proprietry products on them so you can pre advise them that this will happen.

It is difficult to without a photo

Paul

clinton

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
Maybe  go over it with a buffer and pads wayne.

As paul says above bet she has had a go with vanish etc they always say no when you ask them

markpowell

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »
from the pics you sent me Wayne it looks like Paul says, bleached areas caused by vanish etc.
I am almost certain thats the problem, Seen it time and time again.
Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »
MrP how's the pins? apparently Sheffield Wednesay need a new striker you should run them off the park ;D

Shaun

markpowell

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »
6 weeks to go with a bit of luck mate, hows business?
Mark

wayne zabel

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »
from the pics you sent me Wayne it looks like Paul says, bleached areas caused by vanish etc.
I am almost certain thats the problem, Seen it time and time again.
Mark

What concerns me though is that there seemed to be more lighter areas than darker ones.Would this be the case if it was vanish ect

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:52 pm »
Maybe  go over it with a buffer and pads wayne.

As paul says above bet she has had a go with vanish etc they always say no when you ask them

Yep that's what I thought when I first read the post.

Clinton's probably got a good way round what may be a problem of the client's own making.

Doc
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

wayne zabel

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 11:16:24 pm »
Problem is that as a newbie I dont have a buffer machine only HWE,can these be hired?

Jim_77

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 11:26:36 pm »
Wayne, as said above she's naffed her own rugs up, chucking all that other stuff on it. 

The words "had a go at it" from a customer should set off alarm bells!

Your cleaning wasn't "patchy" was it?  Unless you applied your pre-spray by pouring it from a cup..... or spraying it from a can? ;)

Leave her with her problem that she's created, it's not yours!

If she's very unhappy just refund her money and use it as an experience to learn how not to end up taking on duff jobs in the future :)

(alternative answer: saturate and power wash but wouldn't recommend practising on an already angry customer's rug)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 04:31:24 pm »
Failing all that has already been suggested, could it simply be the pile. Is it a loop pile like a Berber. Sometimes these can look patchy on drying if areas of pile are more raised than others.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."