Pristine Clean

Wonder Wand?
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:16:55 pm »
Ive asked this question as Len in a previous post says its its helped him.

Now I have heard of the wonder wand before. I dont actually take much notice of all the different tools available. To me a wand is a wand, a scraper is a scraper I am sure you get the picture.

However I do agree that that certain makes of certain things do make life easier or more comfortable. And once you have used them you wonder how you ever managed without them. Kind of like using a Skoda and moving over to a Jaguar XJS V12 5.3litre.

Now my questions, about The Wonder Wand.

Is it so wonderful that it is a must have peice of kit for £500 quid.

Does it really recover as much as 30% more solution than conventional wands?

Is this really possible - Unique technology prevents any solution from soaking into the cushion and backing below?

And finally the most important - will it work on a porty of 500psi. Not that I ever had tyo go to that level 500psi - if i do I might as well get the Jet Wash out.

Cheers

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Joe H

Re: Wonder Wand?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:38:12 pm »
I had a Wonderwand - used in connection with a CFR500, the machine that recycles water.

I used it at 500psi and yes it does recover lots of water because the carpet feels dryer then with a conventional wand used on the same machine.
500psi is fine, I am working all the time at 400psi with my Prowler, no problem.
With a conventional porty though you will go thro a lot of water. Remember my machine was the CFR - Constant Flow Recycling. The dirty water cam e back to the only tank on the machine to be recycled - used again. So filling was not too often.
Is it worth £500? Well it certainly did a good job so I suppose the answer is yes.
Did it prevent the backing get wet - yes it did - you could keep the wand in one spot with trigger fully on and the backing of a carpet would not wet. All in the design.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:44:15 pm »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. You are as helpful as ever.

Does that mean with the Wonder Wond I need to use it at 400 - 500 psi?

Couild I not just use around the 250 psi mark?

Cheers

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:54:33 pm »
Had a wonderwand (new) and hated it. not only did it use too much water but it actually hurt my back as it is too heavy. Yes you roll it around the floor, but you still have to lift it around the room etc.

Much better off with a glide IMO and its much cheaper.

Mark

Pristine Clean

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:14:33 pm »
So it sounds to me that I need to use it at hi - psi.  :-\ Strange. I guess thats because it sucks the water up so wonderfully fast the carpet does not get wet enough.

MMmm yes I have seen the Glides. Well at present it leave me something to think about. Joe nearly sold it to me.

Dave

garyfindlay

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:16:34 pm »
I have one and it is excellent in cleaning short pile carpets. snagged abit on long piles. It is drier, but does use lots of water. I thought it was good for cleaning right up to edge of carpets.

kinder clean

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:19:11 pm »
Hi Dave

All I use is a wonder wand, works great, they are just as happy working at low PSI, no difference.

Paul

AJB

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:09:18 am »
Wonderwands are happy at 100 Psi upwards, i usually run at 200 - 250 Psi,
They are heavy as they are all stainless steel, and the design of the head increases the weight low down,
Everything is quick release, you can change all 3 jets in under a minute, not that you need to!
It is a quality bit of kit, but as others say it is a Marmite job.
If your technique is right most jobs can be done one handed, you may gain weight and you probably
won't sweat as much either. And if you get a minger or a stubborn patch, whack up the pressure,
 you will not do any harm.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

absolutecleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:19 am »
Since I've had the TM I have moved away from my WW and am getting the impression that a conventional wand cleans a bit deeper - does anyone know if this is the right scientific point of view? (ie the WW dries quicker because the rinsing agent doesn't actually penetrate much below the very top of the carpet)

Cheers

Simon

Nigel_W

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 06:50:09 am »
If I remember rightly the wonderwand has tiny jets which atomise the water which may be why the carpets aren't so wet and why you don't feel the clean is as deep. Apologies if I am wrong.

I have one sitting in my garage which I am open to offers for. It is in excellent condition although the jets leak at the moment which I assume is an easy problem to solve.

Nigel

Pristine Clean

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 07:21:42 am »
This is good, there are very mixed veiws on the Wonder Wand.

Nigel, I had the same thought. The carpets cant be as deep cleaned. I mean any machine no matter how big only has so much suction. Surely the design of the Wand itself cannot give you any more power in suction.

But then I am only a cleaner.

The only way to prove something like that which I cant actually see myself doing is to clean the same square footage. Surely if it sucks up more water - it reads an extra 30% I should have an extra 30% more dirty water in my fill tank.

Nigel, out of curiosity, how much is a 2nd hand Wonder Wand that need jets replacing.

Dave

steve cardy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 07:31:16 am »
Its the design of the wonderwand that makes it effective the water goes in at an angle stays in a u shape and not allowed to go too deep into the carpet.
When ive used one i found i had to use a higher psi with the ww than a normal wand to acheive the same clean. The ww how ever will give you really good results and leave the carpet dryer. I just found it a bit cumbersome and can get around jobs easy with a normal wand.

Joe H

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 08:00:44 am »
Steve has got it - its in the design - angled such that recovery is pretty quick, but the high pressure means its shearing across the pile and removing dirt.

The 3 jets are very easy to remove - simple twist.
The leak could be the washers on the jets themselves, or at the valve at the handle end.
There is also a brass cup at the wand end that has a filter in - make sure you keep this clean.

When I got my Scorpion, whcih is an early one with a 300psi max pump, I was thinking of keeping the wonderwand, just selling the CFR machine.
However, at 300 psi max, it just didnt feel the same as when used with the CFR at 500psi, so I sold the wand with the machine.

Nigel_W

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 06:17:55 pm »
Dave,

I have already agreed to loan it to another carpet cleaner who has seen this post. I will  put it up for open sale if he does not want to take it.

Nigel

Len Gribble

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »
Nigel

Hope you told him of the shortcomings of the wand heavy/no deep penetration and it leaks just to name a few. Oh am interested how many jets looking for the two jets and I want it for the same price as the draft marks  ;) ;) ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Nigel_W

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 06:50:13 pm »
Len,

I have been meaning to call you as I see your invoice for draught marking information remains unpaid.  ;D

I haven't told him anything about the wonderwand. If I thought it was good it wouldn't be sitting in my garage collecting dust. That doesn't mean someone else won't think its amazing.

Nigel

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 06:58:06 pm »
The jets are only at a slight angle on the ww.  Im sure the penetration at 500 psi is plenty.  The jet on the CFR handtool is at a greater angle, I guess because upholstery is generally much shorter pile.

Len Gribble

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 07:48:44 pm »
Nigel

I must get round in doing another garage sale £300quid for a Holloway pile lifter, the crap I’ve got sorry meant to say the most up to date equipment  :o ;D ;)

Have to say that info has stop customers in there tracks I will be back! ;D Any way if the loan doesn’t pan out? am interested.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)