Simon@arenaclean

Fiat Ducato owners. Known gearbox fault?
« on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:24 pm »
Looking at getting a Ducato 1.9, (2000 reg) as a private van so I don't have to keep using the work van for 'other things' Anyway in good condition 80'000 full mot etc but the guy is honest enough to tell me the gearbox can be a bugger in 3rd/4th, can jump out of gear, or not go in at all. He can't be bothered to have it looked at. I'm sure there must be few amongst the carpet cleaning community, any info on gearbox problems, cost to fix, cost of recon box. I can get the van for a snip so it may be worth it.

Any info helpful.

Simon

Joe H

Re: Fiat Ducato owners. Known gearbox fault?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:00:09 pm »
The body shape on these is the same as the Cit Relay and Pug Boxer.
However I dont know if the engine and gearbox are the same, Fiat may fit their own and Cit/Pug thiers.
Seems to be plenty of that model on ebay, and ones for breaking too.

I know not answered your question directly - as I dont know.

jonnyald

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:43 pm »
cheapest way would be buy a secondhand box and get your local spannerman to fit it . a box shouldnt be more than £200 max /        parts for inside a fiat gearbox are never available off the shelf and are pricey  even for little cogs so  rarely worth repairing . 

but before you write off the box, be sure to check the gear linkages arent worn or loose .linkage runs all over the place and lots of little places it can wear and then selecting gear  is difficult

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:48:01 am »
Much appreciated, found a used box at £249. I get the cap who services my vehicles to take a look. Problem is as always the current owner probably wont let me take out the box, fair enough! If it's going to be under £500 I would not hesitate, hence the enquiry for a recon.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:19 am »
Gear linkages need constant adjustment if worn or stretched , a good mechanic will spot this.The cables are quite expensive, but easy to fit.
Ive managed to get away with it in my citroen relay.Sometimes I cant select certain gears,so I pop down my local garage and he sorts it in an hour or so.
Steve.