Poll

who charges over £100 for a 3pc suite over the phone?

yes
43.7%
38 (43.7%)
no
56.3%
49 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

ian richards

Re: upholstery cleaning poll
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2005, 08:30:54 am »

Sherlock

You are such a funny guy ;D ;D ;D

Karl Wildey

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2005, 08:44:37 am »
I think a lot of you have missed a valuable point. Sherlock cleans a lot of the cheap end market suites, these suites tend to be covered in polyester/ nylon/acyrlic etc and all the easy to clean fabric, so maybe with two people you could achieve a reasonable clean in 1.5 hours.  Lets face it, it is half the time will all take and these are easy clean fabrics.
I take 2.5-3 hrs by myself to do a standard suite, and its usually cotton, 100% or mixed with something else.
He is also getting an average £80.00 for a suite so you doing well Sherlock, for the cheap end of the market.

P.s Strange enough I am also dyslexic. Most be the hands on work and keeping busy, that makes us cc's.

woodman

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2005, 09:13:16 am »
If he is pulling in over £60K a year on Suite cleans as he claims then we all could learn something from him as he would be at the very top of the tree of independent cleaners in the country.

I just wonder where he gets the time to do any carpet cleaning even as quick as he is 4 1/2 hrs on suite cleaning plus all the travelling he says he does adds up to a full day of suite cleaning alone through out the year. Unless he has another van out in which case I would estimate his business is doing well over £100k a year.

The best domestic franchise that I knew was doing around £48-52K  year on suite cleans plus another £100K on carpet cleaning so he is well up there with them and not only that but not paying any fees, plus a lot of cash in hand.

Remarkable really, perhaps I should invite him to give a talk on his success at the next Carpet Cleaners Day Out.

ian richards

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2005, 09:23:16 am »
Woodman

What a good idea ;)

I would like to book a front seat please, before anyone else does.

How much will the tickets be?

Due to the demand that you are going to have, i would expect that they are going to be extremely expensive, but what ever the cost, i want to buy one!

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionairs"  

therapist

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2005, 12:39:06 pm »
Again I have to side with Sherlock on this
I don't obviously know whose guidelines you guys are following, but there is something far wrong with the way you're cleaning , whether it.s the products, machinery or just yourselves.
Jacko is clearly in the wrong business or at least needs help.
Slagging off someone who is making more money than you is hardly constructive.
When working with a helper, I average less than 90 minutes on a suite and don't get call backs, but do get referrals and repeat business from the same people year after year.
Some people can work a hell of a lot more effectively than others in all walks of life. Maybe Sherlock is one and there will be others. Don't assume, like a some conceited clowns, that just because they "wear a badge" or have spent a fortune on equipment, that they are "the best"

r m

must go, there's a job to do!

Big_Fish

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2005, 02:58:53 pm »

I too doubt that a suite (even from Argos) could be cleaned in 90 mins. We allow between 2.5 to 4 hours per suite depending on size, composition, levels of soiling etc (although never done an Argos suite, but several DFS).

We have in the past had 2 people out on a suite clean, the time was not halved but it was a help. I cannot imagine there being enough room to have 2 machines running (unless they are rug doctor size) in the kind of living room that would have an Argos sofa ???

If the amount of work is correct and being achieved, so what. This isn't taking away from the kind of clients that keep us booked several weeks in advance.
In the same way that there will always be people who buy Argos furniture, there will always be people who choose the equivelent end of the cc services to clean it.

Leave Sherlock alone, seems he's trying (successfully) to wind certain people up.

Nicky

Bryan H

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2005, 04:35:38 pm »
I have been following this debate with interest and am a little surprised to see some suggesting that a 90 min suite clean is impossible !

I normally allow up to 3 hrs, but there is a wide variety of upholstery out there, with varying degrees of soiling.

Only last week I cleaned a full 3 piece and fireside rug in 2 hrs. including set-up time.  No aspect of the job was missed or skimped & they were as clean as a whistle.  Spending another couple of hours would have made no difference to the result.  With efficient organisation, and no problems arising it can be done OCCASIONALLY.

I have done 3 suites in a day on the odd occasion, but definitely not in 4.5 hrs.  At my age that would kill me !  and 15 in a week ,  forget it !!

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

jacko

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2005, 04:42:51 pm »
Jacko is clearly in the wrong business or at least needs help.

Therapist

I'm beyond help mate!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2005, 04:56:58 pm »
Hi Guys,

I would  clean a 3 ps on average in  2 hours , provided it was straightforward, and I concentrated fully.

Obviously some would take a lot longer and some are so clean it is difficult to take 90 mins,say a two seater cottage style tapestry and two small chairs.

This doesn't include turbo drying which would be extra time.

Cheers

Doug

paulchambers

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2005, 05:38:11 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D theres always one topic to make you laugh. Or should i say i post    Paul( not saying which one )

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2005, 07:49:38 pm »
for those of you who have never had the pleasure of working on cheap suites look at  www.index.co.uk. and if they take you up to 4 hours to clean. go get a new job, sherlock says 8)
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

Chris R

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2005, 07:52:32 pm »
I worked for two years using a two man team on ALL carpet and upholstery jobs. We would set up 2 ninjas outside the job and run just the hoses into the room.
It would take on average 2 hours to clean a suite. It takes me about 3hrs to 3 & half hrs on my own. This includes setting up and packing away.
The customers like you to get the job done quick, but I found that drying times took longer, because the turbo dryer was not going for so long.
Staffordshire

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2005, 08:44:53 pm »
chris i use ninjas leave them outside but run ashbys steammate from extension inside easy peasy. by the way today i broke my record did one in 54 mins. and using ashbys huricane x 2 dried them at the same time almost.  8)
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

Don Atkinson

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2005, 09:22:48 pm »
I                                WOKE                                                 UP                                    THIS                                    MORNING                                                     WITH                                 A.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................HARD ON :o

mark_roberts

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2005, 09:32:37 pm »
I remember once cleaning 5 suites in a day :o :o :o :o :o

But that was when I was working for someone else and was forced into doing crap work.

Never had many complaints though.

Or repeat business for that matter and 90% of the suites there so dirty i would not have wanted to even sit on them.

Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2005, 09:42:24 pm »
If we all make the same or simular hourly rate but charge different prices then someone charging £80 will have work twice as hard as someone charging £160 BUT to sell a clean at £80 will be twice as easy as a clean at £160!

It will take time, hard work and courage but if you are willing you WILL get there!

Shaun

darrenlee

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2005, 09:46:05 pm »
think you bieng a little hard on him, each to there own.
myself average 2 hours a suite, but as long as it takes.
once did one 5 hours , wish a had never took job.
my mate mike halliday recons your average guy wants to earn
£60000 + a year.
well some of you on 4 hours a suite will struggle then.
one you have to get jobs first, and am sure theres more
customers out there want to pay around the £70 mark
rather than £100+,  had customers use chemdry and service master  ect . say they were happy with job, but not with price.
and these were not mr & mrs average.
and said i did a better job  ;D but they would say that two scared to say any other  ;D
anyway as long as i earn what a have for the last 16 years i will
be a happy bunny thanks darren

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2005, 10:06:24 pm »
what a load of old tosh shaun, get to grip with reality.you are overpriced and could never match a upholstery wizard like me, thank god there are still dinosaurs out there who really think they are god. no wonder you dont earn what i earn. too lazy perhaps. 8)

mark_roberts

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2005, 10:23:40 pm »
So what do  you earn sherlock seeing your so willing to tell us that we're not earning???????

Mark

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2005, 10:30:13 pm »
good to see this topic is still buzzing you are like lambs to the slaughter. anybody else want there topic to buzz. shaun u r very popular any more good topics :P