Glynn

Leaving Carpet Drier
« on: March 04, 2005, 01:01:42 pm »

Leaving Carpet Drier
« on: Today at 12:50pm »    Quote  Modify  Remove
------------------------------------------------------------------------
With my dedication to carpet cleaning and leaving them as dry as is practicaly possible and my continued investment in this business. I can now confirm the results of some recently aquired equipment.
1) Hydramaster's Rotary DriMaster tool:
cleaned semi trashed bungalow carpets = 2 x bedrooms, bathroom, hall, lounge majority belgian wiltons except bedrooms which were cheap nylon twists. The bedrooms had heavy spillage in areas which would have took a lot of wand scrubbing, the RDM cleaned it out very easily, the BWs clean fine and pile lifted well. Total cleaning time 45 mins, when I checked the dryness the 1st bedroom was dry to the touch as was the first BW room.
Another job in a care home, large lounge in 80wool/20nylon dirty, this one I do often and usually dries in about 4 hrs dried within one hour !.
2) Green Glide:
first job, 5x bedrooms, landing/hall,lounge,dining rooms.
bedrooms in saxony, medium soiling, usual method inc pre-spray etc, bedroom carpets dry in under a hour as was other rooms ! and it was a very "cold day"
These new type holed glides from Greenie are amazing to say the least. Even with a large TM with a 4007 blower set at 15Hg you can scrubb the wand back and forth on thick wool carpet with just finger and thumb.
It makes it so easy and draws out moisture from the carpet like you wouldn't believe. The best $169 I have ever spent ! .
Glynn
Regards
Glynn

Dave_Lee

Re: Leaving Carpet Drier
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 01:50:20 pm »
Hi Glynn,
I always thought the RDM was slower than a wand, what puts me off is the amount of water and thus solution you get through, though granted it does leave the carpet drier.
The glides I have only recently heard about and Im still trying to get my head around the fact that they can leave the carpet drier whilst the airflow is obviously restricted also that they dont leave streaks in the carpet, like you would have if, say a central part of your wand oriface (without glides) became blocked.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Mark Roberts

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 04:04:37 pm »
The glides ride along the top of the carpet, which actually creates more airflow CFM. More CFM =  drier carpet, like the CFR wand. The holes are quite close to each other so streaking should not be a problem.
Got any pics of your greenie Glynn?

Mark

Glynn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 04:43:24 pm »
Yes I've got pics but will have to post them on the cleantalk board, its just too hard here and too slow.
Regards
Glynn

Doug Holloway

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 05:06:04 pm »
Glynn,

Do you feel the clean was as deep with the glides.

I know some people feel the CFR tools do not clean as deeply?

Cheers,

Doug

Glynn

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 05:29:34 pm »
Doug
I feel that it cleans deeper.
The amount of water going on it is the same, this water has to go in the carpet and since its drier then yes it has to. It cleans really dirty carpet with ease.

Glynn
Regards
Glynn

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 06:38:58 pm »
Glynn
Can you pm me were  you bought it

paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Glynn

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 06:49:39 pm »
Regards
Glynn

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 07:08:02 pm »
GLynn how do you pay them, and how long is delivery.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Glynn

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 07:15:32 pm »
Paid by card, it arrived in 4 days.
Regards
Glynn

peter_collins

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 08:18:21 pm »
Hi Glynn,
I always thought the RDM was slower than a wand, what puts me off is the amount of water and thus solution you get through, though granted it does leave the carpet drier.
The glides I have only recently heard about and Im still trying to get my head around the fact that they can leave the carpet drier whilst the airflow is obviously restricted also that they dont leave streaks in the carpet, like you would have if, say a central part of your wand oriface (without glides) became blocked.
Dave.

The RDM uses the same amount of water as a wand, Bill Jensen from HydraMaster USA was on the HydraMaster stand and explained that the RDM recovers 85% more water than a normal wand, in doing so, it also recovers more soil and chemical leaving the carpets drier, cleaner and with less chemical residue. John Gotts, please send me that demo RDM ASAP!

Mark Roberts

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 08:39:54 pm »
So an RDM recovers over 3 times more water than a normal wand??
I dont think so. Depends who the operator is and the type of machine there using.
With a normal wand I can recover at least 85% of water, so can a RDM recover 3 times more...no.

Cheers

Mark

peter_collins

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 09:16:15 pm »
Hi Mark, a bit of confusion here I think,

I quote from http://www.hydramaster.com/accessories/rdm.asp

Recent tests conducted by an independent testing facility reveal that HydraMaster’s Rotary DriMaster™ Power Tool leaves 85% less moisture in carpets after cleaning. The tests were completed in laboratory controlled conditions using scientific soiling, cleaning and measuring procedures. Completed in August 2003, the testing revealed that a standard 2-jet Scrub Wand left 3.1 ounces of moisture after cleaning, while the RDM left 0.46 ounces on a test area of about 3 square feet. This indicated that the RDM left only 15% as much moisture as a wand and confirmed the RDM’s amazing ability to recover moisture and achieve significantly faster dry-time results. Cleaning Efficacy tests conducted simultaneously, further revealed that the RDM cleaned better than the Standard Scrub Wand.

peter_collins

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 09:20:16 pm »
or to put it in your terms, the RDM would recover 85% of the 15% of moisture you leave behind in the carpet.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 10:18:24 pm »
I've had mine for 6 months or so and I would recommend RDM to anyone but not to anyone in the Sheffield area as it doesn't agree with the water here ;D

Drying times are NOT exagerated, but with an added turbo drier carpets can be moisture meter dry within 45 minutes obviously that will depend on the soiling, carpet type, amount of passes (usually 2) and ventillation for your turbo to work effectively.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 10:20:24 pm »
Peter,
Ref my comments about the RDM getting through more water than a standard wand. I have not used an RDM and was purely going off the comments made in earlier posts from CCs who do own an RDM like for example Shaun from Sheffield. So Shaun perhaps you could clarify - does the RDM use more water?
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Glynn

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 10:28:00 pm »
I really truly wish I had not started this post, as it shows just how negative people with can be. We are talking about a tool that can escalate your productivity and produce drying times that could not otherwise be achieved. Then again why on earth would a Co like Hydramaster spend millions of $ for nothing. with a product that costs more than the average portable ?
The mind boggles.
Regards
Glynn

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 10:38:51 pm »
Yes Dave it does but not great quantities of it and it is definately worth it, I charge alot more for the use of this machine. It is not used on every job, but if it were I would be much wealthier.

Shaun

Dave_Lee

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 10:39:06 pm »
Shaun,
Ive seen the latest RX20 and is as you say - the slots have been partly filled in and only has three jets, but to be honest I just reduced the jet sizes and achieve superb drying times with my standard RX20.
Glynn, I know what you are saying and I agree, I would get an RDM myself and glides plus a few other things, but for for the time being my priorities lie elswhere. I would not however get an RDM until I upgrade my TM with a bigger water and recovery tank.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 10:41:31 pm »
Shaun,
Thanks for the clarification, maybe Ill get one sooner.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Glynn

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 10:52:26 pm »
Dave
If you want to use my RDM for a day , just ask.
Regards
Glynn

dave washbrook

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 11:18:48 pm »
glyn
 so have you brought the rdm and is it worth the money. i was talking to shefield shaun on hydramasters stand and he was saying you had one on trial. is it any good on realy dirty carpets and have you tried it on low profile commercial carpets(carpet tiles)? if so how do you rate it.

thanks

dave

Mark Roberts

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 01:54:09 am »
Peter,
I understand now you meant now, moisture pick up, not water pick up like you said in your first post.
That sounds much more like it, hope you accept apologies for my post for digging into you. ;)

Cheers

Mark

peter_collins

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 07:41:11 am »
No problem at all Mark.

GreenGlides

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2005, 07:58:36 pm »
wow!
this thread really took off.

You guys should know some history.

We also considered the RDM, as we used to be Rotovac users (and still keep it on the truck for the occasional nasty) But when we bought a quality wand and had a teflon wand glide made for it, it was a much better cleaning tool all around.

As you may already know, not all wands are created equal. I was actually quite surprised when I first came to this realization, as I kind of thought a wand was a wand, but once someone shows you the light, it's pretty obvious and you ask yourself why didn't I see this before?

We started with a lightweight 1.5" tubed 12" wide 2 jet wand and fitted a NON-teflon glide to it, it was easier to push as you would imagine plastic to be vs: steel lips, and it did seem to dry the carpet a little better, but it chipped and scratched and eventually tore carpet fiber, and became harder to push. We tried a few designs that varied in material and slot shape and configuration.

In the end 100% teflon(although expensive in comparison), proved to be the material of choice for many reasons which we explain on our website(GreenGlides.com look under "Learn about glides"), mostly the low coefficient of friction and self healing ability from scratches and nicks.

We came to some conclusions on slot designs as well, a series of holes pulled up much more water than a continous slot therefore cleaned better, but not just any hole, the size was critical to the vacuum source, and the placement of said holes in proximity to each other was also important not to close and not to far.

Even the slot size was critical, although the slot doesn't glide as smoothly in comparison as the holes it was still much better than a conventional steel wand lip, and as long as the size of the slot was limited there was indeed a drying decrease and a little more water was picked up. If you consider the average slot width of about 3/16" any decrease will be a little easier to push and dry a little better as slot velocity is increased at the carpet.
Any larger than 3/16" would be just the opposite.

Our preferred slot size is 1/8". The slot doesn't dry or glide as well as the hole, but it does permit larger debris to pass and this may be worth the compromise, and as we have learned from end users like Glynn, some wool carpets respond better to the slot.

The next consideration is fit, the glide absolutley must fit snugly, this is what prevented me from making them myself in the garage, I use a machinist for this reason. Each must be fitted to the shape of the lips and vacuum slot precisely. I have tried to help many make them but it's costly to do in small quanties, and not practical for a good fit, I started off just making a few for myself and friends, because I couldn't go abck to cleaning without one, but word spreads and now we make them in volume.

Another tid bit worth mentioning is the glide makes streaking from multi-jet wands an issue of the past, this proved to be  big deal, as some of the best wands ever made fell out of favor due to this little detail. the glide completely reversed this, and now those very wands are in demand again.

Ideally you want to use a quality wand like a PC or HM cast head low profile with a 1.75" or larger tube. They are a bit heavier, but that is compensated with the addition of a glide. The perfect scenario would be to have a wand that you could quickly swap out the glide and yet seal well. This can be accomplished but requires a notch to be cut into the side splash fin of said wands, so you can slide the glide on an off without distorting the teflon channel. But that is another animal, this is not as big of a deal with the cheaper lighter weight welded wands as the glide pops on and off more readily(but still do some damamge to the sealing surfaces with reptitive use) and they vary more in design tolerance as they are not cast heads from a mold.

GREENIE

Dave_Lee

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2005, 08:11:38 pm »
Thanks Glynn I'll take you up on that soon.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

David Ware

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2005, 09:47:17 pm »
Hi GreenGlides

Do you say that a wand with Greenglides will clean better than a CFR wand.

David Ware

GreenGlides

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2005, 09:51:08 pm »
Dunno about better, two different animals.

But you can put down a lot of flow (06 jets) and pull most of it back up again, leaving the carpet much drier to the touch for sure.

And you don't buy a new wand, just use the one you have.
GREENIE

Len Gribble

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2005, 10:08:32 pm »
Greenie

Pretend I’m a 2x4 never been into tech stuff, Prof is in the pudding contact me by the way I use a pc wand.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2005, 10:09:08 pm »
didn't realise that this forum was for people to promote thier own items. i thought it was for carpet cleaners to discuss thier findings about other peoples items.

GreenGlides

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2005, 02:34:56 am »
Sorry if I've offended you.

And if I have violated some rule, I'll hush my mouth.

Chaps have this tool in the US, just now reaching the UK apparantly.

We clean everyday with a locally built no name TM, 25HP (Heat Exchange) Robins powerplant and 47 Tri-lobe blower, and use a PC Titanium wand most days.

Sir Knight, what would you like to discuss on this DRY CARPET thread?

We use the above equipment and a teflon glide to achieve 1 hr. dry times many days, how about you?

:-*
GREENIE

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2005, 08:58:38 am »
personally i don't mind talking about your glides, just not as a sales pitch, get that all day from one place or another.

I'm running a truckmount too with 4 jet wand and can also get carpets touch dry within the hour

Doug Holloway

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2005, 09:10:33 am »
Goron,

To be fair to Greenie , he included a lot of technical info and as drier carpets seems to be the 'Holy Grail' at present a lot of people will be interested.

I'm in favour of manufacturers getting involved as it adds to the forum, obviously blatant advertising would be deleted.

Why does it seem that all the innovation is coming from the States?

Cheers,

Doug

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2005, 01:49:40 pm »
There is no way a manufacturer can inform us of their new/innovative products without it coming over as self promotion. I applaud the way Greenie has conducted himself on this forum and would encourage him to continue to do so. The same goes for his fellow regular US contributor, namely Ed Valentine.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2005, 01:52:58 pm »
but if all the manufacturers did this then it would just become a trade fair

paul@ctcs

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2005, 01:58:02 pm »
Good to hear of an Interesting new product that may improve the wat we work :) Price a bit steep though ;D

Paul

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2005, 02:16:37 pm »
Goron

The more manufacturers participating, then the better for us all. But if things get too blatant or out of hand, there's always the moderator who'll keep things in line.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2005, 02:43:54 pm »
personally i'd rather here about the products from the people who have them in use

GreenGlides

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2005, 04:31:08 pm »
I hate the constant sales dribble as well. I am also one who likes to hear from end users and not salesmen. As I mentioned before this is being introduced into the UK, there are very few users right now. Would you like to be one of the first?

I'll be here to answer questions on the products I use and make for those interested.

But I'm more interested in the day to day cleaning in the UK vs: the US.

Humidity, and avg. dry times are always interesting from place to place as well as the equipment used.

Which TM and wand do you use Goron?

And tell me more about your dry to touch in one hour results.

What psi do you clean at, and how many wet passes vs: dry passes do you make on average.
What lift do you run your machine at (Hg)?

average hose run?

And please, anyone else chime in, I'd like to know some averages?

Anyone find it getting harder and harder year after year to push that wand?

I know with our machine @ 15"Hg, I can hardly move a stock PC Titanium wand, how do you do it?

GREENIE

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2005, 05:27:31 pm »
i have a spitfire 4.0. clean at 300psi with 15 hg lift average hose run is 100 ft.
wet to dry passes 1:1
unsure of the make of wand as is second hand but i do find it hard to push tend to lift it and take another pass

GreenGlides

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2005, 05:38:02 pm »
Do you find yourself pulling the wand vs; pushing it?

I have found I clean differently than my mates. I hold the valve open constantly keyed @ 400 psi and don't let up, I start at one corner of a room, I work about a meter long cleaning stroke, and over lap by 1/2 the wand head, and keep this overlapping pattern going all the way across the room, then come off the valve and dry pass back with the same overlapping. If ultimate dry is the concern, I'll slow down a bit and make the dry pass overlap a bit more.

I find I put down a lot of water in relation to others, but it cleans well and cleans faster.

On a real nasty, I will double the above, and they won't be dry in an hour, more like 2.

Do you use a 1.5" tubed 12" wand?

I found the larger tubed wands to dry better with or without a glide.
GREENIE

carpetmas5

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2005, 05:53:22 pm »
So if I would like to buy, how much to export to the UK, I am running a Hydramaster Boxxer 421 with 1 1/2" Wand. I also have aCFR Pro Station 400.

GreenGlides

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2005, 06:05:40 pm »
Hi Martin,

I assume you are asking what a GreenGlide cost, as per the website they are $169 US and I pay shipping, They have an unconditional money back guarantee.

more importantly what exact wand do you use, HM has a habit of sending out a few different models with their units.

Cali yank
GREENIE

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2005, 09:34:17 pm »
yes greeny i do find myself pulling rather than pushing(sounds a little rude that)
and yes 1 1/2" tube

you could always give me a freebie and then i could tell everyone what my findings were ha ha  ;D

David Ware

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2005, 09:57:08 pm »
Greenie
Average hose length 100' 13-15 hg 500psi with CFR push wand on carpets with pile over 3mm. Buttercup Magic Pull wand 400psi. Saves repetitive syndrome.
David Ware

carpetmas5

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2005, 10:00:50 pm »
So how do I find out which wand I have? for my machine.
Martin

GreenGlides

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2005, 10:24:35 pm »
I really don't want to make this an advertising post, because I do clean everyday, and love this industry, i will cont. to clean as long as i'm able.

I only sound enthusiastic because this simple addition to my wand has changed the way I clean and view pushing wand everyday, it's really that big of a deal.

on the freebie, I extend the same to you here in the UK as I do the Americans and Aussies, with Credit Card guarantee, I'll send you one to evaluate, you only pay (ie: I process the card) if you like the GreenGlide, and i pay shipping.

I welcome you to read the website GreenGlides.com and specifically the "Learn about glides" section before ordering, so you roughly understand the concept.

As for fitting wands, thankfully there are enough mainstream wands made by well known mfgs. that I can easily tell what you have, such as a Prochem 11" quad jet, or PMF 12" 2 jet S bend.

What is critical is the wand lips dimensions, not the individual lips, but the whole "footprint" of what touches the carpet, usually it's a 12" wand, and has a width of about 1/2" give or take and those lips usually ahve a "lip ridge" about the same 1/2" or so off the carpet, this ridge is what the glide holds on to as the wand sits down into the machined channel of the teflon rod.

GREENIE

Glynn

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2005, 10:39:27 pm »
Greenie,
Fancy coming over here for a few days and attend our SDO ? I know its a bit far but we'd all buy you a pint ;)
Regards
Glynn

GreenGlides

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2005, 10:47:33 pm »
that is tempting.

Thanks.

GREENIE