maxcarpets

This game is getting harder & harder
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:27:06 pm »
Is it only me or does anyone else feel that this game gets harder. As time goes by I seem to spend more & more to keep things rolling when I should  be spending less. Why? hard times, to many people in the game, wood floor maybe? I think I'm just going to end it all!

Justin

M.Acorn

Re: This game is getting harder & harder
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:49:02 pm »
Not quite at that stage just yet .Have been beaten on price on a few that i quoted recently so when i had a call yesterday asking how much for 2 carpets 24 sq mtr i went in low at £50.Customer was put off as i was the lowest quote she had she was only just around the corner from me.  >:( She then started quizing me on weather i was a pro carpet cleaner or a splash and run merchant ! Can`t win Had a call on wed yep just the one asking if i could get turqoise acrylic paint out of a beige wollen carpet,custy had been trying with various prods ,i said it will be min £40. TOOexpensive for her  >:(
Not going back to being a chef or a dj but it`s getting pretty bad,got 2 big jobs booked for next week and a couple of £120 jobs but that`s all so far
What goes around comes around

maxcarpets

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35:37 pm »
If I had my time again I would look into something else! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! .

Justin

In fact if anyone is interested in a well established CC busines with T/M & portys, 2 vans ( I'll keep the other one for me ) 1000s of custys covering Berks, surrey, hants inc pubs, nightclubs, schools, letting agents, restaurants etc etc let me know!

absolutecleaning

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:04:05 pm »
Please dont say that - I am only just getting started :-\

Neil Grainger

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:13:16 pm »
Justin

are you just worrying because its quieter than normal, its is tough but your good and have confidence in what you do.

Our area is very different from the rest of the country in my view. When things get tough it effects us more because houses are so much more expensive and so are the mortgague that these people have to pay back.

March is always crap for me and with easter being early it will hit business.

New starts will find it tough, all I say is dont spend to much money on this and build it up part time if you can.

absolutecleaning

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:35:29 pm »
We have been running the business for just over a year now - covering various aspects within the cleaning industry.

I have previously done some carpet cleaning with a guy I so some work with but he doesnt do it properly.

I have had my machine for nearly 6 months but have mainly been using it for eols (which we already had anyway.)

Am just starting to advertise and have some leaflets printed on the carpets front so fingers crossed.

As Neil has said above it may be a difficult time ahead of us so just got to get through this.

Luckily we have enough regular work in the other parts of the business to pay the bills etc so it is not the end of the world if the carpet side of things doesnt take off over night. :)

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:38:27 pm »
A lot of businesses are suffering at the moment and people are starting to loose their jobs. Mate of mine has been a craftsmen bricklayer all his life working for the same company for 20 years. He lifts around £600 in his hand, finished next month with little prospect of finding work. Company next door has just laid 2 blokes off.
This is bound to affect all of us.
One thing you can do is to diversify into other realms of cleaning. A lot do it already, but hard floors, wood floor restoration, leather restoration, driveway cleaning, conservatory cleaning, tile & grout are all extras you can punt to an existing customer base. Even in hard times there are always lots of people who are financially comfortable.

davep

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 02:42:20 pm »
John,  Can you utilise the Prowler for some of these jobs (driveway cleaning, conservatory cleaning, tile & grout) ?

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:44:49 pm »
Thats exactly what I was going to ask! I know John sells the guns that you can for to the prowler for driveway cleans

John Kelly

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:01:13 pm »
Conservatory cleaning (interior) is basically wiping down with cloths and detergent, usually to remove nicotine. Tile and grout can be done with Turbo Hybrid type tool even using a powerfull portable (at least 400psi).
Driveway cleaning really needs at least 3000psi preferably 4000. You can get away with less on a lot but if there is heavy algae growth the extra power is needed. Also if you are doing any amount of this it is really feasible to utilise a seperate pressure washer rather than but extra use on a truckmount.

davep

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:03:54 pm »
Whats the £££ like in conservatory cleaning, may be an idea with summer approaching  :o

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:59:08 pm »
Hi guys well ive done it the other way around.

Have built up a great window cleaning business which as you all know turns over good money month in and out i got into the carpet cleaning side and also patio,driveway,decking cleaning as alot  of my window cleaning customers kept asking if i knew of anybody and rather than name drop or recommend ive been and done the training myself and has work out even better.

I know have the comfort of a monthly income from the windows and the carpets and other cleaning is a big bonus.

What i do alot of though is maintenance cleaning flat stairwells ,nursing homes etc for their walkways.Only takes a couple of hours per month but its regular income

spencer davies

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 04:32:50 pm »
More people jumping on the band wagon thinking its easy money, I am aware of a couple of people starting in this area soon.

Luckily we have been established for many years and have a huge client base, often a newbie will start up and quote very low just to get the job, after a year realizes he/she is working lots of hours for small money, they pack up.... but the customers they manage to get ring us expecting similar quotes when requiring their next clean, even though they have gone, the damage has been done.   :-\

S

maxcarpets

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 05:16:02 pm »
I would rather window clean I think. The best days are behind us, unless you want to buy my business then the future is bright!

Justin

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 05:30:54 pm »
how can things be getter harder? more houses are being built ( which are full of carpet) the population is growing ( all potential customers) and even when people are skint they get their suites & carpet cleaned instead of buying new.

We are surrounded by people who need our services :).

the world is our oyster!!.

the only thing that can harm us is people like Mark quoting £50 for 2 rooms, and then doing a good job. If people start thinking they can get quality cleaning for low prices then we all suffer.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

spindle

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 05:33:03 pm »
spencer call me anile but ........
" persuit of excellence" should read "pursuit of excellence"

back to topic

this week i am fully booked............the last couple of months have been ticking over........but march has started with a bang!!
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 05:36:48 pm »
Trying not to compete on price anymore .......... been telling callers that it is £4 a metre off hand and getting jobs  :o

Booking job and confirming exact sizes before commencing can leave you with time on your hands if smaller than anticipated but last 3 have been £144, £172 + £466 .......... each of these was a job i did not think i would get from initial price finding call.
Simply explained methods, solutions and metre cost at £4 ........ and Robert's your mother's brother  ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 05:37:32 pm »
Hi Guys

Even with all my websites I have experienced less calls this week but who knows next week may be very busy.

Having said that the calls  have been good quality i.e they want me and are not bothered about some of the more ridiculous prices quoted elsewhere. I have also passed on some if wrong area / size etc.

Having said that CC is a tough business, lets face it for all the talk of IICRC, NCCA etc anyone can start up for not much money and call themselves a professional CC.

I would suspect for every 100 who start only 1 will still be in CC in 5 years.

Cheers

Doug

maxcarpets

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 06:14:32 pm »
Things can get harder as times become harder....simple. Doesnt matter how many houses are being built if they get reposessed !

maxcarpets

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 06:20:46 pm »
I have been cleaning carpets for many years now and it has been years & years since I went a day without a call, this week I went 3 days without a call. I have more advertising than ever and I have a very large customer base. So in my opinion "This game is getting harder & harder^ Sorry if some of you  people out their disagree, or maybe its smell the coffee time!

spencer davies

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 06:25:41 pm »
Spindle,  Excellence (Noun)     ;)

O level English 1983

S

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 06:28:35 pm »
Mike is showing us the way!

Is your glass half empty or half full?

Make your phone ring and go out and quote the jobs while you are quiet.

Shaun

Doug Holloway

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 06:30:14 pm »
Hi Justin

I firmly believe a recession is going to happen, as the boom in asset prices has made things unaffordable for many and a correction is occuring.

This doesn't mean it's the end of the world as we know it but it is a good time to look at costs and make ourselves leaner.

Do we really need 3 machines, does our advertising pay etc

Cheers

Doug

lands

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 06:35:36 pm »
I was not going to post in this one as I feel I moan too much about lack of work but what I have been doing is spending more time with my customers. Quoted a job today £234 and the custy used to have a CC firm employing 10 people (sold due to health problems) but he is doing very well for himself elsewhere.

Had a coffe with him and talked him through how I worked and showed him my kit (Shaun don't bother replying to that bit) and he was very impressed. He went on to book me to do the whole property for the end of the summer at £402.

Lesson being, if we have more time then use it effectively and this is one way of doing just that.

Pete

maxcarpets

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 06:39:45 pm »
You may not have noticed but I'm having a bad day, I'm sure it will come out in the wash. But if someone wants to put enough 0000s on the cheque it's there's.

Justin

*paul_moss

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 06:50:09 pm »
Justin im in the same boat as you at the moment, in 5 years not known it as bad. I have done more advertising in the pats 2 months than in my prievious years but this week was my worst and next week I only have one job booked in. :o Very Wierd.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

spindle

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 06:55:27 pm »

SPENCER- o levelS or not :-X.....you spell persuit/ PURSUIT
NOT HAVING A DIG WAS TRYING TO HELP!!!

Dictionary - pursuit - 7 entries. 
1. v. t. - The act of following or going after; esp., a following with haste, either for sport or in hostility; chase; prosecution; as, the pursuit of game; the pursuit of an enemy.

2. v. t. - A following with a view to reach, accomplish, or obtain; endeavor to attain to or gain; as, the pursuit of knowledge; the pursuit of happiness or pleasure.

3. v. t. - Course of business or occupation; continued employment with a view to same end; as, mercantile pursuits; a literary pursuit.

4. v. t. - Prosecution.

5. noun - The act or an instance of chasing or pursuing.

6. noun - The act of striving:

7. noun - An activity, such as a vocation or hobby, engaged in regularly.

i'll get back in my box

spencer davies

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 06:57:26 pm »
Point taken, I thought you were talking about excellence without the c....

S

spencer davies

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 06:58:09 pm »
I will opt for the hobby.

S

*paul_moss

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 06:59:44 pm »
I left school with a certificate for 25 lengths  8)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »
Having been knocking around for nearly 30 yrs--- I think things are going to get tight for the next 12 months or so. Council robbery going up by 5-7% , diesel going up to £5 gallon (its just about that here now and I remember it at 32p per gallon)
All it needs is for everyone to delay having their carpet cleaned for a month or so and it hits us all hard.

Just make sure that your marketing is in the right direction by asking all customers where they found you and analyse the answers monthly. Chop the ads that don't work, try something new.
Cut your costs as much as poss without cutting too many corners.

As a last resort get a part time job to help out, I've been there too on occaisions.

Mainly, stick with it, it will get better before long and keep getting better as the years go by. My advertising budget this year is £185 and I'm still busy.

As a last resort drink 1/2s intead of pints ;D

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 07:04:48 pm »
What would you rather be/do?

be extremely clever and do nothing

or

be able to string words together and be successful?

Shaun

PS it's a good job my wife speeks for the both of us ;D

Mark Roberts

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 07:05:55 pm »
I was talking to local cc today, asking how he was doing as many on these forums seem to think its slow, generally I think it is - for all sorts of reasons but were ticking along nicely...anyway his answer was this-

Each week he works 4 days and spends his Friday on Marketing, not posting leaflets as he has girls etc doing that, he goes out and door knocks domestic, commercial, then phones no less than 100 people, estate agents, letting, hotels etc.

He's snowed under with work and just does carpets so we've a nice deal going were he hands me all his upholstery at my prices with a few beers for him.

If things are slim talk to people and find the work instead of expecting it to come to you.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 07:15:46 pm »
Have to agree with Mr.Roberts. Just had my worst start to the year for 15 years, thought my phone had been disconnected !
Felt sorry for myself for the first week then decided it was just the kick up the backside I needed to totally review my marketing and my presence in the marketplace.
As a result February improved slightly and March is looking better.
Sometimes if it won't come to you, you have to go and get it.

collins ReVive Stoneworks

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
Hi Just

just to let you know your not alone

and it is a reccession and credir crunch we all know about higher food , utilities

mortgage the UK has some of the biggest consumer debt on record

so take herat its not your standards

i was feeling the same i ran carpetmaster for over 15 years and year on year despite

marketing joe polish yell leaflets , web etc it got harder and harder

any way to cut short

we started other services  and its helped a lot and buying  property for retirement

so chin up keep going as long as you are paying those bills

there are lots of other services you can offer, when i started i never thought i would be a millionaire  but i enjoy my work and that counts for a lot.

all the best

karl
Karl collins

sherco

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 07:35:22 pm »
Im a tiler and im going to run cc and hard floor cleaning along side it, i have just done the prochem course, and im not going to under cut anybody,  i can stay at home and loose money. I have so many customers ask me to look after there new floors, as the havent got a clue. I used to give the work away
to a guy and he did very well out of me. So now im going to do it, so i will always be busy in either tiling or hard floor, carpets.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

spindle

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 08:06:16 pm »
sorry spencer.....my spelling mistake when correcting you :-X

lands

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 08:55:09 pm »
Just on this note I am contemplating doing something I promised myself I would never do but the Mrs wants an X5 and my little girls want a horse.

Noted an earlier post about pro active sales of our services. Have a good sales background and will be doing this for myself. If successful I may offer the service out to other CCs and take a commssion on successful work I obtain. I would only contact commercial custys and wondered if anyone would be interested in me canvassing on their behalf. It would be a pay only if delivered upon so there would be nothing to lose and I was thinking of around 15%. What do you think?

Pete

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 09:05:12 pm »
Definately interested Pete - anywhere in Surrey, not interested in London, all the best mate.

Steve

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 09:36:18 pm »
Never had a horse but X5's are nice but the insurance is a killer and also don't let the wife go near ballards as mine once did  :'(

Had Rolls Royce Corniche now they are nice but at 12mph it used to take a fortune driving from the Brides home to the church through match traffic.

Shaun

lands

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 09:52:47 pm »
And all that from a poor little yorkshireman

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 10:18:24 pm »
Kids and wife got in the way of me making a fortune.

Shaun

lands

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 10:22:05 pm »
Definately interested Pete - anywhere in Surrey, not interested in London, all the best mate.

Steve

Steve, email me your no.

Pete

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2008, 12:37:18 am »

Hi Pete

What got you into CC and out of sales? When you think about that time you made the decision, is offering this service something you really want to do?

And if so, what's changed?

Mike

lands

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 10:34:43 am »
Hi Mike

I got out because I was sick of the fakeness of it all. There was always a reason why someones advert did'nt work or why they should have one in the first place and it was mostly bullpoo. Just could'nt keep telling people the same lies that I had once believed in. It's horses for courses I know because if I don't do it someone else will and get the £38k base, nice Audi, free laptop and mobile but thats the thing about being human, we can make choices and I guess when you have children you look at your self differently and think what do I want them to be and how do I want them to see me.

Said children need feeding of course and this is why I am thinking about doing this (amongst other things) as its selling something that people need or they don't. I can't convince someone that there office carpet is dirty when it isn't (I ain't that good). I'm not a greedy person Mike but I do want my wife and kids to have nice things so I will do what I can within a moral framework to make that happen.

I even applied for a general cleaning job at one of Saga's offices (you know, the one where Doug buys his holidays from ;D) it was Mon-Fri 5pm-9pm and that little bit of secure income would have helped but of course they I felt I was too qualified. How can you be over qualified for a job like that :o

So like many others on here just looking at my options.

Pete

mark_roberts

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 10:37:24 am »
I think 15% is a bit low for you.  How long would it take you to find £1000 worth of work for £150.  You could make that in 2 hours cleaning.

Mark

lands

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 10:40:15 am »
I did think that but I guess I'll find out when I do it for myself Mark.

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 12:56:13 pm »
Go for it Pete, I'm sure you will have a lot of takers for that.

Like you say see how it goes and you can tweak it.

From my persective I don't think i could do something like that because I hate the idea of leaving the bit that counts up to someone else, ie you do your part and get the leads, but you only get paid if they are competent and motivated enough to follow through.

Bearing in mind commercial especially tends to be a multi stage process you could support them with a packaged based solution. I have some ideas on this where they have a direct response letter designed to build a qualified database that you can ring on.

Create for them site survey material that includes maintenance plans and take a % and offer on going support. This works for both parties giving you a residual rather than a one hit wonder.

re sales careers I know how you must of felt at the time, I became exeptionally disenchanted and divorced myself from all things selling related. Or so I thought when I started CC! LOL

Mike