Re: What would you of charged?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 10:23:35 pm »
There are a lot of folks on here that do not know how to work out their hourly rate?
until you know what your hourly rate is for you and you alone, asking others what they would have charged is a pointless exercise. Sorry to tell you how it is but this is why so many go to the wall in their first few years in business.
For those of you wondering how to arive at an hourly rate all you have to do is total up all your annual exspenditure together with the wage you need to live on then divide it by the hours you want to work a week.
For me I'd like to see myself earn £200 an hour but in the real world its more like £45. thats me working in a city' out in the sticks my rate would have to be more to include the travelling.

francis

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27:38 pm »
Dave

You say:- ' for those of you wondering of how to arrive at an hourly rate, all you have to do is total up all your annual expenditure together with the wage you you need to live on, then divide it by the hours you want to work a week'.

I'm afraid there is a fundamental flaw in this.  Judging by another topical thread headed '...worst week in 16 years' it appears it's not so much - 'divide by the hours you want to work'
as opposed to 'divide by the amount of hours you can get work for'

How do you budget for that in advance???

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 11:47:55 pm »
Simple Francis,
When the phone stops ringing I get of me bum and go out and see folks.
As many who know me I'm booked 2 weeks in advance so I can see when things start to slow down.
Its a bit like the dog wagging its tail rarther than the tail wagging the dog so to speak.
Sheffield Shaun summed it up by saying that we all tend to get complacent when things go swimmingly.

carpetguy

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 11:50:54 pm »
Every time someone asks the "what would you charge " the response is the same, with " I would'nt leave the house for less than £££££££££££££per hour, or the honest John's who charge, what they feel is a fair rate for an job"and get criticised for not charging enough, although they probably earn more than the others.

The irony, is

A fair number are quoting figures which are just fictitious and for two men to take 90 mins for a job such as this, is nonesense.

Such a job " done properly " that is, dry soil removal and cleaned by whatever method you use to " wet clean" should be completed, with ease, in less than an hour with one operator, there is no need to add blowers, if your extraction is done thoroughly.

I had a quote today, from a plumber, which was £38 for the first 1/2 hour and "£24 for each following half hour.

That is the trade which is said to be ripping off the public.............So how do your rates compare ?

Obviously, if your marketing is expensive and you run large vans and big equipment, your overheads will be higher than someone with a small van  / portable machine, so you might be creating the need for high rates.

While another operater with more efficient / productive marketing will have much lower costs and may do a better job with less expensive equipment and be much more profitable, even although he charges less.

In other words.............there is no fixed rate, for any job and the factors which control your charges, might need looking at.

Running a business, is about profit, which is bottom line, which is not always dependent on high charges, nor, on the other hand, about high volume, it's getting the right balance.

For this job, based on, one operator we would have charged around £45 -£60 and would anticipate, at least on other job resulting from an excellent result at a moderate price..........like virtually all of our work, the marketing cost is close to, zero.

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 11:57:14 pm »
The answer to working for yourself is to fill in your hours each week and the money will follow.
My son is a project manager for a large heating company in Bromsgrove, when he prices his plumbers in to fit central heating he does not price the fitters per radiator, he prices per hour  they have worked.
All his guy's are on very good money and to date he has always been within buget.
Why not try it, you'll be surprised how much you turn over a week. ;)

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 12:02:56 am »
Thank the lord there is someone on here with a bit of sense.
Carpetguy you are running on the same lines as I do each job is priced on time not item!
How else are going to get recommened if we are all hell bent on getting as much as we can for each job.

francis

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 12:06:23 am »
Dave

For the more progressive of us - we are off our bums and talking to people even when the phones are ringing.

It's when the phones ring less that you find that the people who you are also talking to are more difficult to convert to business.

The reason for this is more often than not economic uncertainty.

Interest rate rises make people and businesses feel uncertain and hence more cautious in spending. Memories are short and an interest rise today is easily forgotten in the next few months.
The problem is that the Bank of England are increasing interest rates by a fraction of a percent every couple of months. Hence people have a continued feeling of concern. It would have been far better to increase by a full percentage point on day one and everybody would have adapted to it by now.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 12:12:09 am »
Francis I hear what your saying but and I say this with tounge in cheek we can all find a reason for people not to buy.
I have found that when interest rates go up so does my order book!
I had a call today for carpet cleaning because the client had not got the money to replace their carpets after decorating.
had the interest rates been lower they would had replaced them.

francis

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:05 am »
Dave

There is always the exception to the rule. But increasing interest rates slows down the economy.  After all thats what interest rate hikes are intended to do.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with high interest rates (I was running my own business when interest was in double figures), its the continual drip/drip approach of interest variance that effect business detrementally.

No matter what some post as to how good business is, you can see by the amount of viewings on the couple of threads covering this topic that there are many concerned carpet cleaners out there

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 12:28:41 am »
Many years ago when I first started in this business like many on here I was struggling to make ends meet. So to compensate for my small turn over I took a job with a football pool company. With them I learnt how to run numbers. And no it was not with the mafia sorry.
What I learnt was its not the amount of money they took each week it was the number of coupons collected.
So I applied their work ethic to my business and soon I did not need that extra job, the more people you see a week the more recommends you get. Having said all this you have to balance between making a profit and being a busy fool. That’s were working out your hourly rate comes in. Hit the magic figure each hour and you’ll make a comfortable living. Be greedy and you’ll always be looking for work.

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 12:37:20 am »
Finally Francis before I toddle off to me bed.
I was told once its not what you earn its what you get to keep.
When times get hard I look at my over heads and thats where most of the proffits can be made or saved.

francis

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 12:40:46 am »
Dave

Whoever told you that was totally correct

darrenlee1

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 12:44:12 am »
hi dave
well said, i only wish i could put whats in my head into writing on here.
but bit thick when it cames to getting things accross

darren

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 12:46:21 am »
My old mate in Birmingham who has retired with a nice wod of money after 30 odd years of cleaning carpets.
What can't speak can't lie, his money that is. ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 03:18:58 am »
Matt J

£25 to £30 depending on material/location that’s over the phone, very rarely do I site visit. Trying to be carbon neutral.

Looking at a job today small hallway carpet (letting agent) will it clean? Reply don’t know until I’ve cleaned it and yes I have a min charge.

Wait till you go commercial then ask the forum how much sqm some band about £2 but let get real say £1.50 or more down too earth .72p.

Phoning back and offering discount?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

matt jones

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07:12 am »
yes ok Len  ;D

joey p

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 09:10:34 am »
bring back jimmy tarbuck, he'll clear things up for everyone lol ;D

matt jones

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 09:11:23 am »
lol yeah good old jimmy!

calmore

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 10:00:50 am »
Somewhere between £90 and £120, depending on what they were.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

churchill1945

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 10:37:00 am »
£35 all in