matt jones

What would you of charged?
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:14:49 am »
Hi guys just come back from doing a quote for an elderly lady. 3 armchairs and 1 foot stool i quoted £105 all in, she just said no sorry and handed me back the quote form  :'(, so i asked her how much she had in mind and told me she had a quote for £55  :o.
So i just wanted to ask you guys what you would of charged? and did i over price?
Ps the chairs weren't to dirty but the arms were very greasy about 3 years old.
Thanks
matt

lands

Re: What would you of charged?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:20:20 am »
I would have charge about £80-90 so don't think yours is out much but £55 is a silly price. got be at least 90 mins work done properly.

Pete

matt jones

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:25:33 am »
thanks lands for super fast response glad im not the only one thinking that £55 is just a stupid price. And whenever you ask oh yeah who was that quote from then? they never tell you i think half the time they haven't even had another quote they are just telling you a price in there head which they would be happy to pay.
matt

paul wright

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:36:08 am »
55-65

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:42:20 am »
Matt

With all due respect, you are showing the same approach to business as the prospect.  The only thing you are both talking about is PRICE.

When surveying and quoting, you need to talk about the cleaning process, why you would do this, that and the other. The cleaning solutions you use (I try to avoid the word "chemical". The techniques you use and how all the processes combine together to make a Cleaning System that is effective, safe for you, the customer and any children and animals, that the products you use CANNOT promote resoiling and will not damage or remove any protective treatment on the fabric and is quick drying.  You will have examined the suite and fabric, opened the cushions and looked inside, examined the chairs for damage, wear and excessive soiling, test for fibre type if necessary and asked about the history of use and cleaning.

Or a briefer description is that you SELL yourself and your business, you don't just quote a price.

You need to set your own standards, your own goals and work to them and charge accordingly. You shouldn't be concerned about what others are doing or charging.

I'd have done all this and quoted £120.00 for a HWE based process so your price is in the ballpark for a quality service.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken

PS Even then, you'll never win them all
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

paul wright

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:53:19 am »
another easy way round it is  only qoute over the phone  ;D but hav really good chat like ken says, ive never gone and looked at job in over 12 years , works fine for me, charge what u want to earn and stick to you guns, but u get lot more outer 10 at 55-65 than u will at over 100    trust me  ;)   and u can do just as good job at 50  than what u can at 100

chrisg

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:17:21 pm »
£80

just quote little jobs on the phone or your be running round like blue ass fly, quoting and cleaning.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:40:05 pm »
When I go and quote little jobs can become bigger ones. I would never get my prices either if I just quoted over the phone.

I don't mind cos I don't travel more than 10miles radius and I get the time back by doing fewer, enhanced jobs for more money.

Still not getting all quotes and this is frustrating, but I make up with the ones I get.

matt jones

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 01:25:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys.
Ken i already do what you have suggested and also try not to use the word "chemical" don't like that word lol. Thanks again guys.
matt

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 03:23:39 pm »
the best thing said so far on this topic is kens PS ' Even then, you'll never win them all '

if i had done this quote I would have forgotten about it by the time I'd reached the end of the street because if you analyse every quote you didn't get you'll worry yourself into an early grave.

so what if someone else had quoted £55, just move onto the next appointment.

I don't want to get all mystical & philosophical but one thing i find with carpet cleaners who have been in the game a long time is they reach a higher plain of enlightenment where the don't give a sh*t what everyone else is doing or charging, they just get on with it.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

AquaMagic

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 04:35:41 pm »
Including an OAP discount id say £70-£80ish.  We work in a two man team and would expect to complete this in arounf 75-90 mins.

Dene

matt jones

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 05:23:36 pm »
I phoned the lady back earlier saying i had given the quote another look over and could afford to knock abit of. Gave her a new price of £85 all in. Told her i wouldn't be able to match that silly price of £55 not worth it in my opinion, think i put abit of doubt in her mind about what sort of job she would be expecting for £55. Anyway i left it with her but she was very thankful that i made the effort of phoning back offering a discount so who knows. Like it was said earlier you can't win them all, but i do get a high percentage of jobs that i quote even though i may not charge these silly low prices.
matt

joey p

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 07:04:01 pm »
i dont see wots silly about 55 quid??? its worth a maximum of 80 in my opinion, if you do it youll be 55 quid better off than if you didnt, how did the customer get in contact with you, was it a flyer , cos if so you would be silly not to do it, maybe when your there you could upgrade or ask her if she needs anything else doing, maybe she will book you to do her carpets or recommend you to a friend, get your foot in the door if i were you, especially if you havent got much work on, forget all the brovado from the experienced , established guys on ere until youve got some customers under yer belt.

cheers

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 07:22:32 pm »
£27.50 per chair plus £12.50 for the stool. £95.00 Total

prodry

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 07:29:46 pm »
The full Basic State Pension is £87.30 a week. £105 must seem alot to silver top these days for 90mins work.

when quoting in person surely you give them a rough idea over the phone, say to them depending on what it is between x and y. Do you ask if they have had any other quotes?

At least you will know if you are wasting your time going out to see them.

We would charge £80.00 and we get 90% of the calls we get for suites. We dont go out to quote.

Our local ChemDry charge £135.00 for a three piece suite. One guy goes out to quote, another two go and clean it. So 3 members of staff involved in the clean, the franchise owner and ChemDry all taking a their cut. Then they laugh at me for being cheap. I have with no doubt more profit from each job compared to the chemdry man.

If we quoted on every job we would have to raise our prices by at least 50% to get the same level of profit.

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 07:42:12 pm »
The aim with quotes is to try and fit them in with your diary. E.g someone rings for a quote in X village, look at your diary for when you are working close by and try and put them in then, Less time and less fuel........ obviously less cost

matt jones

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 07:48:33 pm »
Because its not £55 quid is it? take out your fuel wear and tear on van and equipment plus cleaning products. I don't get some of you on here there must be alot of people who talk some absolute sxxxe one day no one will get out of bed for any less then £40 per hour then other days its a different story and you will work for much less. It seems alot of people dream on this forum, please don't give advice in future if it's just cxxp which aint true it doesn't help. Why do so many of you give in so easily when it comes to price it seems alot of people don't have a pricing structure cause if you did your business wouldn't work.
matt

bennymon

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 09:23:52 pm »
chairs £35 each stool £15 so £120   :) :)

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 10:04:52 pm »
personally i think this is a pointless thread.

Prices are different all over the country infact prices vary greatly in our own individual areas.

There is no way that you can get any kind of idea on pricing by asking on a national forum.

£55 may be a reasonable price to some people. Just get on with it, stop taking it to heart so much and look forward to the next job.

Cheers Goron

Mike Halliday

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 10:20:07 pm »
got my new Y/Ps today there's an ad in it saying 3pc suite £38 - hall, stair & landing £20 guaranteed no hidden extras

this guy will go out and clean at these prices, and he makes a comfortable living.

he's on the next page to me but i don't worry the slightest about his ad, let him charge cheap prices, it won't effect my business one bit.

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 10:23:35 pm »
There are a lot of folks on here that do not know how to work out their hourly rate?
until you know what your hourly rate is for you and you alone, asking others what they would have charged is a pointless exercise. Sorry to tell you how it is but this is why so many go to the wall in their first few years in business.
For those of you wondering how to arive at an hourly rate all you have to do is total up all your annual exspenditure together with the wage you need to live on then divide it by the hours you want to work a week.
For me I'd like to see myself earn £200 an hour but in the real world its more like £45. thats me working in a city' out in the sticks my rate would have to be more to include the travelling.

francis

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27:38 pm »
Dave

You say:- ' for those of you wondering of how to arrive at an hourly rate, all you have to do is total up all your annual expenditure together with the wage you you need to live on, then divide it by the hours you want to work a week'.

I'm afraid there is a fundamental flaw in this.  Judging by another topical thread headed '...worst week in 16 years' it appears it's not so much - 'divide by the hours you want to work'
as opposed to 'divide by the amount of hours you can get work for'

How do you budget for that in advance???

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 11:47:55 pm »
Simple Francis,
When the phone stops ringing I get of me bum and go out and see folks.
As many who know me I'm booked 2 weeks in advance so I can see when things start to slow down.
Its a bit like the dog wagging its tail rarther than the tail wagging the dog so to speak.
Sheffield Shaun summed it up by saying that we all tend to get complacent when things go swimmingly.

carpetguy

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 11:50:54 pm »
Every time someone asks the "what would you charge " the response is the same, with " I would'nt leave the house for less than £££££££££££££per hour, or the honest John's who charge, what they feel is a fair rate for an job"and get criticised for not charging enough, although they probably earn more than the others.

The irony, is

A fair number are quoting figures which are just fictitious and for two men to take 90 mins for a job such as this, is nonesense.

Such a job " done properly " that is, dry soil removal and cleaned by whatever method you use to " wet clean" should be completed, with ease, in less than an hour with one operator, there is no need to add blowers, if your extraction is done thoroughly.

I had a quote today, from a plumber, which was £38 for the first 1/2 hour and "£24 for each following half hour.

That is the trade which is said to be ripping off the public.............So how do your rates compare ?

Obviously, if your marketing is expensive and you run large vans and big equipment, your overheads will be higher than someone with a small van  / portable machine, so you might be creating the need for high rates.

While another operater with more efficient / productive marketing will have much lower costs and may do a better job with less expensive equipment and be much more profitable, even although he charges less.

In other words.............there is no fixed rate, for any job and the factors which control your charges, might need looking at.

Running a business, is about profit, which is bottom line, which is not always dependent on high charges, nor, on the other hand, about high volume, it's getting the right balance.

For this job, based on, one operator we would have charged around £45 -£60 and would anticipate, at least on other job resulting from an excellent result at a moderate price..........like virtually all of our work, the marketing cost is close to, zero.

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 11:57:14 pm »
The answer to working for yourself is to fill in your hours each week and the money will follow.
My son is a project manager for a large heating company in Bromsgrove, when he prices his plumbers in to fit central heating he does not price the fitters per radiator, he prices per hour  they have worked.
All his guy's are on very good money and to date he has always been within buget.
Why not try it, you'll be surprised how much you turn over a week. ;)

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 12:02:56 am »
Thank the lord there is someone on here with a bit of sense.
Carpetguy you are running on the same lines as I do each job is priced on time not item!
How else are going to get recommened if we are all hell bent on getting as much as we can for each job.

francis

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 12:06:23 am »
Dave

For the more progressive of us - we are off our bums and talking to people even when the phones are ringing.

It's when the phones ring less that you find that the people who you are also talking to are more difficult to convert to business.

The reason for this is more often than not economic uncertainty.

Interest rate rises make people and businesses feel uncertain and hence more cautious in spending. Memories are short and an interest rise today is easily forgotten in the next few months.
The problem is that the Bank of England are increasing interest rates by a fraction of a percent every couple of months. Hence people have a continued feeling of concern. It would have been far better to increase by a full percentage point on day one and everybody would have adapted to it by now.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 12:12:09 am »
Francis I hear what your saying but and I say this with tounge in cheek we can all find a reason for people not to buy.
I have found that when interest rates go up so does my order book!
I had a call today for carpet cleaning because the client had not got the money to replace their carpets after decorating.
had the interest rates been lower they would had replaced them.

francis

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:05 am »
Dave

There is always the exception to the rule. But increasing interest rates slows down the economy.  After all thats what interest rate hikes are intended to do.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with high interest rates (I was running my own business when interest was in double figures), its the continual drip/drip approach of interest variance that effect business detrementally.

No matter what some post as to how good business is, you can see by the amount of viewings on the couple of threads covering this topic that there are many concerned carpet cleaners out there

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 12:28:41 am »
Many years ago when I first started in this business like many on here I was struggling to make ends meet. So to compensate for my small turn over I took a job with a football pool company. With them I learnt how to run numbers. And no it was not with the mafia sorry.
What I learnt was its not the amount of money they took each week it was the number of coupons collected.
So I applied their work ethic to my business and soon I did not need that extra job, the more people you see a week the more recommends you get. Having said all this you have to balance between making a profit and being a busy fool. That’s were working out your hourly rate comes in. Hit the magic figure each hour and you’ll make a comfortable living. Be greedy and you’ll always be looking for work.

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 12:37:20 am »
Finally Francis before I toddle off to me bed.
I was told once its not what you earn its what you get to keep.
When times get hard I look at my over heads and thats where most of the proffits can be made or saved.

francis

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 12:40:46 am »
Dave

Whoever told you that was totally correct

darrenlee1

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 12:44:12 am »
hi dave
well said, i only wish i could put whats in my head into writing on here.
but bit thick when it cames to getting things accross

darren

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 12:46:21 am »
My old mate in Birmingham who has retired with a nice wod of money after 30 odd years of cleaning carpets.
What can't speak can't lie, his money that is. ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 03:18:58 am »
Matt J

£25 to £30 depending on material/location that’s over the phone, very rarely do I site visit. Trying to be carbon neutral.

Looking at a job today small hallway carpet (letting agent) will it clean? Reply don’t know until I’ve cleaned it and yes I have a min charge.

Wait till you go commercial then ask the forum how much sqm some band about £2 but let get real say £1.50 or more down too earth .72p.

Phoning back and offering discount?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

matt jones

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07:12 am »
yes ok Len  ;D

joey p

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 09:10:34 am »
bring back jimmy tarbuck, he'll clear things up for everyone lol ;D

matt jones

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 09:11:23 am »
lol yeah good old jimmy!

calmore

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 10:00:50 am »
Somewhere between £90 and £120, depending on what they were.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

churchill1945

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 10:37:00 am »
£35 all in

The Great One

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:30 am »
Hi

Quoted £90 for a 2 seater sofa, plus 2 wing back chairs and one footstool.

Got someone else to do it at £35 and earned £55 for quoting.

Regards

Martin 8)

brights cleaning

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »
£42.00 for each full armchair and done the footstool for Free!

carpetguy

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »
Chances are, as you're well aware, the chairs only have a value of around £90 and to clean them will take less than an hour,

Beats me how anyone can condemn franchisee's charges, with their colossal overheads, when an individual, without massive overheads has the gall to charge some of the prices being quoted.

Always the same when prices are discussed, but I find it ironic, in the extreme, that most of the operators who charge high prices, are followers of an American and the reality, is American charges for carpet cleaning, are generally about HALF the the UK charges.

At the moment operators in the States are charging as little as $99.00 for four rooms, or even more, that's only about £45.

Another interesting post I read recently concern a gent' who " made a million "from carpet cleaning, at low / moderate charges

Martin

£55 FOR GIVING A QUOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

calmore

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 07:47:30 pm »
Chances are, as you're well aware, the chairs only have a value of around £90 and to clean them will take less than an hour,

Beats me how anyone can condemn franchisee's charges, with their colossal overheads, when an individual, without massive overheads has the gall to charge some of the prices being quoted.

It may take "just an hour" per chair as you say. However, on top of this you have to pay for the chemicals, equipment, vehicle, advertising etc..etc.

You also have to pay for the time taken, loading the van, driving to the site, setting up the equipment, breaking the equipment down etc..etc.

In addition, you have to pay for the time taken in quoting, paperwork, insurance, training etc..etc. It soon adds up.

How much would your garage charge you for an hour's labour? What about your local plumber? Why should a carpet cleaner charge less that these guys?
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

Len Gribble

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2007, 09:29:38 pm »
Matt J

Sorry that’s per bottom,  :D  a small reduction on a two-seat come three. Time is money and money is time (http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/05/29/time.money/) please remember this bloke is a sexist, so be it! Must train wife in the art of cc more profit for me.  ::)

Rob

Few years ago once had CD come round for a quote, needed to know what I was up against, so I now advise the potential customer to get other quote if they don’t book, now have a problem CD my recommendation don’t seem to do CC any more,  ???  have considered SM but they seem to be lame ducks,  :D can you recommend a cc franchise who are up to it price wise?

Martin is now learning if you have a dog why bark yourself, on many occasions I’m probably the dog, but very well feed.

Have you ever been to the states (not holiday trip) totally a different mindset and cost of living! TN is the poorest State one thing for sure my sister is not. >:(

Calmore

You have a point, but most custard’s don’t see it that way! (Still in the upstairs-downstairs way of thinking)

Book now and the price is valid for three months that’s my motto  ;)

Len   
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

carpetguy

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2007, 10:14:47 pm »
An hour for the job Calmore, even in my earliest days , over twenty years ago, I would never have taken an hour to clean a single chair !

If I did, I would have realised I was clearly in the wrong business.

How can you seriously compare the cost of running a garage, with a sole trader c/c'r
the electricity bill alone for a garage would probably be more than the average c/c's overhead and you really hit it on the head when you compare a garage's hourly rate with a c/c.

With all their massive overheads, garages still make a profit from an hourly rate of around £35 to £45.

Why do you think this is ?

Are they better at controlling costs
Or do they work a longer day ?
Is their productivety better, per man ?

If you worked a five day week, of 8 hours...............not going at it, hammer and tongs, just working sreadily, efficiently, productively. What would you earn ?

OK, you wont actually be working for 8 hours, but even you only get paid for six hours per day at those rip off garage rates, you will still earn an awfull lot more than a mechanic, or whatever you did before, about £1000 a week, but some jobs will give much more , so you might average, nearer £1500 per week.

Less your overhead, of course, but that should only amount to around a couple of pounds per job.

Now consider for a moment, what your counterpart accross the pond charges and you might be surprised at the rates I obtained today from America.

Low rates ...................$19 or £9.50 per room, cheapest $19.95 for 2 rooms
High rates....................$70 or £35 per room

That includes t/m operators !

Obviously, there will be a small percentage of operators who get a bit more.

The above will be rubbished by some, but it's true and might make some of you realise, if you are working for peanuts, as some would have you believe, you're in good company

Len
Never been to the States Len the above is off a forum I've vsited for the past 5 or 6 years and I was a bit surprised myself, to discover what some of the long term posters charge.

Incidentally..........I posted on here a few days ago a topic which got buried pretty quickly. It asked ..........How long to clean an area of 800 sq ft
                    The answer was four and a half minutes

The Great One

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 07:13:30 pm »
Hi

I priced the suite as if I would clean it, as my system is Dry it doesn't do suites  I asked a guy who does do them and he quoted me £35 the lot, leaving me the rest

(Suite sweet as )

Regards

Martin  8)

stuart_clark

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 08:36:08 pm »
Hi guys i live in a very price sensitive area !! in other words they have the money but most are all tight B*****DS and wont pay a realistic price ,so i travel the field to get the prices i think that I am worth, i charge a bare minimum of £150.00 for a quality cleaning of a three piece suite up to six cusion seating plus footstool, I leave the upholstery very nearly dry and the whole process takes 3-4 hours

regards Stu  Clark

mark_roberts

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 10:30:55 pm »
It would be an education for maybe all of us if an accountant came on here and gave us a formula for working out your true costs of doing business never mind your wages and profit.

A lot of stuff posted here is rubbish and i cant believe we are even comparing pricing to the other side of the world.

Pricing is down to the individual but unfortunatley a lot arnt charging as a business should ie. to cover costs, provide a good income, maintain a profit for development and provide the owner with a long term financial future (retirement).

To answer the inital question for what its worth I would have charged £85 it would have taken around 1 hour 20mins and thats £60 per hour my min target hourly rate.

Mark