the red carpet

yellow pages
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:39:41 pm »
my local books just come out and i got my copy today

iv gone in for the first time with a double 3/8 ad (about quarter page) full colour £2400
problem is in the last book there where 37 ads
thats now jumped up to 46 an extra 9 thats without the free entries

i would be interested to here from any of you who have any idea how many enquiries i can expect of a ad like this

Daniel

Liahona

Re: yellow pages
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:49:54 pm »
good luck mate, I wouldnt touch the yellow pages with a barge pole but thats just me, it will be interesting to hear how the adds do do though. Best, Dave.

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 04:55:20 pm »
Red Carpet,

What position in the section are you? You will always get customers who go for the first one, some who go for the smallest or one liners because they perceive these as the cheaest or vice versa with the larger firms, who they think will do a more professional job.

An interesting fact about any publication whether it is a newspaper or a directory, is that peoples eyes are always drawn to the righthand page and very seldom look at the left hand pages. I learned this from advertising e-mails that used to be sent to me free of charge.

There were some interesting points from this guy, but his intentions were for me to attend one of his seminars, which i didn't. If you need other help with advertising, go on to the yell web page, and there is a section on there called directors briefngs which you can download and print out. The topics covered are things like your advertising strategies, telephone systems, etc etc. They are well worth a look at.

From my personal experience with yellow pages, was that we doubled our money on our expense. From my point of view, i still use and swear by leaflets. You cannot beat having your own personal advert in their hands without the opposition, and the one thing you never put on your leaflet is the fact that you are in yellow pages, because once you are in there, you are showing the customer your opposition.  I

If you are a business who are earnin lots and lots of money, then to avoid paying more tax, i would recommend expensive advertising in all the directories, but try it and see what happens. I know because i have done it.

Dave  Spot On

cleaning co

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:57:31 pm »
ive never ever had good responce from yellow pages tompson allways been better but even that just covers the cost  most times i hav tryed big ads small adds medium ads allways the same responce  in fact i hav had more off a freebie line ad one year  ???
£2600 och !!!  hope u do do ok mind
gary

Liahona

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 05:09:48 pm »
I know its nothing to do with the subject but........most adds in a book or anywhere do better on the right side because on the whole we live in a right handed world. Meaning you can see what you are looking at on the right side and then with pen to paper write next to it on your blank peace....it does make sense, sort of.... anyway, again good luck with your add!!!!!!!!!

the red carpet

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 05:12:21 pm »
im on 4th page in out of 8 pages of ads top corner left hand side
begining to think i may have made a mistake now, theres so much competition in here im sure leaflets would have been the better option.

oh well at least my services are being advertised on a daily basis now so there's a chance of getting calls even on days when i cant do leaflets like today (snowing and raining all day)

Dave, if i double my costs at least i wont of lost anything, but that means working for half price for a year (ouch)
just hope they turn into regulars

tomh

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 06:04:23 pm »
you will get some work out of yellow pages & cover your cost's but will find much better addvertising stream's for your money !
i have not started up cc yet but i have the gear just waiting for my leaflets to be printed as have just had some training with alltec this week
i have adverts in yell for furniture removal & light haulage work & regard them as No 1 parasite to my business along with thompson's then of course the tax man in at No 2 !
would expect your enquires to be fishing for prices as already looking for this kind of work ! would have thought cc is more of inpulse then anything else & when people want it done they want it done yesterday !

cleaning co

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 08:41:22 pm »
leaflets are norm impulse bookings were yellow pages is more of a planed booking ie decorating a room etc

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:50:09 pm »
Red,

Try putting the words marketing and sales into google, and this guy i mentioned earlier who is a marketing guru, will e-mail you on a regular basis with avertising info for free.

Did the scrubber go after?

Dave

Steve Chapman

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 08:54:15 pm »
I advertised with yp & thomsons for about 5 years, and then dropped them as prices were so high and i didn't notice any drop in my bookings, what does that tell you :o

Leaflets are the way to go! - Plus you can change your offers any time you like :D

steve

stains-away

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 08:57:08 pm »
Dave,are the marketing emails from Cardells?

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 09:03:39 pm »
Andy

Yes i think it was David Cardell. I stopped receiving them because i changed my e-mail and couldn't retrieve them. 

I think they were basically useful, but got the impression that he wanted you on one of his seminars. I didn,t.

Am i right in thinking that to get a free one line listing in yp and thompson, you have to have a business No. We have a business No and do get free listing, as we till do on yell.com, but without enhancement.

Has anyone tried the directors briefings on yell website, as well as business eye. I am not sure if business eye is in Wales only or not.

Dave                   

The Great One

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 09:07:11 pm »
Hi

I have gone into YP for the first time this year.

To date 3 jobs done out of about 8 enquiries, £10 ahead of what is has cost (£68 p/m)

Regards

Martin 8)

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 09:16:08 pm »
Martin

For the benefit of the newbie, can you please tell us how long you have traded for, and when you made the decision to go in yp.

With me i went in in year 1, but this was a special offer for £99 and i was put in cleaning and maintenance. The following year, it cost £1000 for i thought the revenue generated was poor. If you read the training manual from Extracta the guy in there says he made about £12000 from the book!!!

I dropped them after this. The problem with yp is that there are many sections and areas have been split.

Carpet and upholstery, cleaning/maintenance and ast one time Cardiff and Newport were in the same book, but was split. This is done for obvious reasons, more revenue.

A tip for people.  My brother in law ran a fishing shop, went in 1 year, then rep came 2nd year, said he could not afford it. Got it half price.

Dave

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 09:31:56 pm »
Liahona

what is your main route of advertising?

word of mouth is great and so is referal and repeats but I'm talking about an advertising medium.

Shaun

homenclean

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 09:34:37 pm »
I have tried the large adds, i have tried the colour adds ive spent thosands but always found that a small add in a good position that is direct and to the point will win every time.

John

the red carpet

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 09:36:27 pm »
Martin,
i hope you dont mind me asking, how longs your book been out for now?
and how much competition is there in your one?

Dave,
the scrubbas still there ??? dont know why no ones grabbed it yet
im sure you will never get a deal out of the y/p iv read back through all the old posts on here and from what i see no one on here has yet, somone posted on here the other day that there not allowed because there regulated by somone or somthing
iv heard a few people say about getting that sort of money £12000 back on a y/p ad, theres a guy on hear ableclean reckons he gets about that.

also just noticed Martin,
you say you have done 3 jobs for £78
i hope they wernt large jobs else your definatly underpricing yourself
my minimum charge is £35 so for 3 very small jobs i would charge £105
and from what i gather my prices are very modest

Daniel

the red carpet

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 09:38:13 pm »
John
thats the trouble with y/p you have no control over position

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 09:45:21 pm »
Red

YP are now stopping 1st and such going in from of adverts. This helps a bit. Yes that was true with brother in law with his rep, 2 years back.

My point was that if you are getting bigger and want to maintain your position, then you can afford big adverts and avoid paying more tax.

Dave

the red carpet

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 09:52:05 pm »
wish i was getting bigger im struggling at the minute mate
i dont think they will stop all the 1st and .... buisness myself, they just tell you what you wanna hear

if you have a moan about it they say dont worry its stopping next year
personally iv gone in as ..The Red Carpet and it was the rep who advised me to do that