Derek

Re: Ultimate Master
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 06:43:11 pm »
Thanks Robert

He's pretty good at it isn't he...I fell for it that time.

Derek  :-[  :-/  ;D

Robert_O

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2004, 07:58:04 pm »
He is either on the wind up, or the light ain't shining to brightly!!! :P ;D

You choose!!! ??? :-/ ;)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 03:09:56 pm »
I cant see many portable operators, who put a detergent through their machine (self neutralising or not) then once finished - refilling with water and rinsing the 'Whole carpet ' just purely on the impracticality of it, (moving furniture back & forwards etc). Another point, arent those that pre-spray the detergent onto the carpet then acidic rinse off, still leaving some residue behind - most acidic rinsing solutions still contain some detergents.
Not that I am disagreeing with the idea of pure rinsing, and obviously would be easier for a TM operator. However, pratical wise?
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Derek

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004, 08:19:18 pm »
Hi Dave

Why not plain water rinse?  

If you use the right presprays then that's the best option with current thinking.

Cheers
Derek

Robert_O

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2004, 08:48:58 pm »
Hi Dave

If that was how the work was carried out then I would agree on the impracticality of basically cleaning the carpet twice.

I use a separate 10 litre stainless steel sprayer to apply the cleaning agent, agitating in, and then followed up with usually a fresh water rinse. If colours are a concern then I may use and acidic rinse or Prochem's Fibre Buff to neutralise and bring the pH down.

You are right in saying that the B109 FFR contains a detergent also, but I often use of Fibre buff which will dry to a powder and not any form of soil attracting residue.

I have to conceed  that by rinsing you may not be able to get every bit of the cleaning agent/detergent out of the carpet, but personally I feel more comfortable pre spraying and rinsing out as much out as I am able.

Again as mentioned previously, people on this forum can listen to other cleaners veiws and opinions and make up their own mind what they are comfortable with.

Kind regards

Robert

Derek

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2004, 09:12:37 pm »
Hi Robert

The old cliches are the best...

The last cycle on the washing machine is the rinse cycle.. unless you have a dryer that is ;D

You always rinse the shampoo out of your hair... I hope!

Nuff said

Derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2004, 09:22:38 pm »
Not Mike I wouldn't believe it  :o

Shaun

Robert_O

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2004, 11:00:35 pm »
What Hair?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004, 11:10:38 pm »
Are we saying that manufacturers do not research their product.

That research carried out by carpet cleaners is supperior and that buy pubblishing it on cleanitup or cleantalk is  the pear review to justify this scientific research.

Robert_O

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2004, 11:45:24 pm »
If you are happy with the way you are doing things then that is absolutely fine,  no problem at all.

I have an alternative way that 'works for me' and get excellent results.

Advantages of Pre-spraying followed by extraction:

1. More dwell time for the cleaning agent to work.
2. Less chemical useage (Better for environment).
3. More cost effective.
4. Piece of mind in rinsing out Chemicals used within cleaning process.
5. Fresh water rinse is a good marketing and sales tool to address chemical concerns of wary clients.

I certainly do not claim to know more than the manufacturers of these chemicals, but what I do have is a different way which works for me, and I am simply sharing my views.

Regards

Robert

Mike Halliday

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2004, 11:48:04 pm »
Ian,you've hit the nail right on the head, thats why I've not commented anymore on this thread.

Some people think they know more about the chemicals than the companies that make them.

I can't wait for someone to make a claim on their liability insurance and are asked if they followed the the manufactuers instruction and they reply " no I followed the advice of some bloke of Clean-it-up"  ::) ::) ::)

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Robert_O

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2004, 12:05:29 am »
I would like to think there is some method in my madness, I hope anyway!!! :-/ ;)

Regards

Some bloke of the Cleanitup site!!! ;D ;)

Derek

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2004, 12:08:05 am »
Mike and Ian

So how many carpets/ bit of upholstery have the chemical manufacturers cleaned then?

Most of their cleaning is carried out on test samples in a laboratory... not a true indication of the problems we have to contend with

From a 'technical' point of view I concede that they are more qualified to assess the chemical ...there's a BUT

I certainly don't profess to 'know it all'... no more than you do Mike.... I wish I did!

Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2004, 12:15:40 am »
Derek,

I just think manufactures instructions are their to get the best use of their product.

When I first started I was told to Pre Sray entire carpet.

Then use cleaning chemical.

then acid rinse or acid spray.

With Ulitimate Master I now have a Chemical that does it all and was Woosafe tested.

Whats more Ive just bought a big tub .

John_Flynn

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2004, 12:40:45 am »
Should keep you going for next week 8) 8) 8)
I get better looking each day!!

Dynafoam

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2004, 01:31:34 am »
Ian,you've hit the nail right on the head, thats why I've not commented anymore on this thread.

Some people think they know more about the chemicals than the companies that make them.

Mike

I am sure the manufacturers of 'Vanish' '1001' etc. know more about their products than any one here - I am equally sure that we all know more about the consequences of their use than we would wish.

John.

Derek

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2004, 08:23:36 am »
Ian

If you read all the blurb put out by the chemical suppliers you will find contradictions galore.

Like yourself I went on training courses in my early days and came away taking all I had learned as gospel.

I found that if I had a problem the supplier could usually (not always) come up with the answer..... after the event.
The trick of being a 'true' professional (as against those ' pseudo professionals' who just don't care) is to try to identify the problems BEFORE they occur.

Ultimate master is an excellent product (may you enjoy using it) I have my own way of using it though.

Whatever machine or chemical we buy it is up to 'us' to use it in the correct situation and obtain it's full potential

Cheers
Derek

Dave_Lee

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2004, 08:26:07 pm »
Derek,
Re: Your reply. Nothing wrong with fresh water rinse, I use it a lot with One Step and Spitfire, but not exclusively as some jobs I feel respond better to products like Ulltimate Master, Crystal Geen, Hydradry etc. My comments were to do with rinsing off following cleaning with one of  these or other detergents using a portable. If it was possible to Always get the right result with a free rinsing pre spray - GREAT - but I dont believe it is, yet (I havnt tried 'Solutions' yet.)
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Derek

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2004, 08:48:48 pm »
Hi Dave

For many years now the only chemical I have used through the tank is an acidic rinse...with very odd exceptions when I use a particular chemical for a specific purpose.

With the emergence of the micro-splitters then I find that a plain water rinse is sufficient.

Be careful... I know of damage being caused recently by one of the chemicals you mentioned being used as a rinse agent although it is excellent as a pretreatment.

Cheers
Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2004, 12:00:07 am »
IT does make sense to use a plain water rince if it works just spraying and agitatating a product such as ultimate master and is a good selling point to customers.

I do not want to damage customers suite or carpets .

However if I do and have followed manufacturers instructions the insurance company should back me against any claim for neglegence.

If I have adopted my own system not sure.

However Dereck ,John, Robert Dave Mike you are all experienced cleaners who enjoy experimenting

I do agree there are lots of contridictions in both manufacturers instructions and on this and other boards,
that is what makes it interesting.