Steve_B

Ultimate Master
« on: February 08, 2004, 07:53:50 pm »
Does anyone use Ultimate master from Alltec?

If so any good?

SteveTruman

Re: Ultimate Master
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 08:06:02 pm »
Used it for yrs. But as far as i know the company who makes it have ceased trading. Please inform me if they haven't. And the other answer is that it works very well on my bonnett cleaning system. I dont put it into the extractor machines so i dont know how it performs with them, but my portable is 20 times less powerful than the tm alledgedly, so i dont think it would work very well in the portable ( according to the tm people )

Regards

Steve

Steve_B

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 08:16:08 pm »
Just reading about it on allec website.

www.alltec.co.uk

Steve_B

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 08:17:21 pm »
shame i can't type meant alltec website

lee_gundry

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 09:03:16 pm »
steve

the reason that most tm operators, dont run ultimate master through their units is that the self neutralizing properties don,t work at temps above 40 oC so as you imagine it is impossible for a truckmount user to clean at such low temps.

Lee G
cumbria

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 09:19:19 pm »
I use Ultimate Master quite a lot, have used it for years and always considered it to be an excellent powder.

Dynafoam

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 09:45:03 pm »
Lee,

You are being eleteist again !!!

Of course all portables have 60psi pumps and clean with cold water. Right?

One reason I did not use this product in my TM days is that the enzemic action declines after mixing with water, becoming non-existant after about 18 hrs. This means that any stock solution mixed up and not used today will not work nearly as well tomorrow, so was wasted.

John.
(Whos portable will work @ 0-110oC)

ALEXDH

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 10:00:51 pm »
Its good stuff and if you are new to chemicals like me its a nice safe method to get into cleaning the results are good but have still found a chemspec one clean powder and traffic lane cleaner has the edge for me. on standard soiling cleans.

Lots of agitation same for any chem though i believe even these micro splitters everyone talking about nowdays.

Steve_B

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 09:38:05 am »
what are micro splitters?

(sorry newbie)

Robert_O

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 10:49:04 am »
I wasn't aware that Ultimate Master had any form of enzymatic action (but stand to be corrected)
. :-/ :-[

I also do not understand the other comment about Ultimate Master not self neutralising when used at  temperatures higher than 40'o. As I understood it, it is supposed to have a pH of about 9-10 'in use', and upon drying it is claimed to do the self neutralising.

Personally, I could never get my head around these claims of self nuetralising properties, but would like to hear any further info to clarify this better for me.

It may be worth bearing in mind that the very nature of most soils that we generally have to deal with are on the acidic side. We are usually cleaning fibres that have been dyed, set, and manufactured under acidic conditions and processes. Additionally many fibres natural state is also acidic, therefore isn't it safe to presume that the fibres and soiling would to a certain degree have neutralising properties on alkaline cleaning products in the duration of drying?

Ever the sceptic, but always stand to be better informed.

Robert Olifent

Derek

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 07:21:45 pm »
Hi Robert

Self neutralising or not...I can't get my head round leaving detergents in carpets and upholstery... full stop!

l saw a Lever Bros video (I am sure it was theirs) some years ago where at the end the final comment was....'the cleaning is incomplete until the rinse process has been carried out'... makes sense to me.

Regards
Derek

Robert_O

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 08:45:31 pm »
I agree Derek

This is where many carpet cleaners misunderstand the chemistry of cleaning. I recall In the past carpet cleaners saying to me,  well I use XYZcleansit and it is ok not to rinse because it is a neutral pH.

Well yes it might be a relatively safe pH cleaning agent but pH and detergent residue are totally separate issues.

Eg. Washing up liquid is generally promoted as being kind to hands having a safe neutral pH.  So does this mean because it is neutral you can pour this over your carpet and have no resoiling problems, NO!!! You would be left with a sticky soil attracting residue that foams up on cleaning and is very difficult to fully rinse out.

You can often discuss this with your client by likening it to washing your hair. You apply the detergent/shampoo, and then you rinse it out, common sense!!!

In my opinion the same applies to other professional carpet cleaning detergents, and the final process should be a rinse.

Just so long as you remember pH and detergent residues are totally separate!!!

I'll shut up now and get off my high horse!!! ::) :-[ ;D

Regards

Robert Olifent

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 08:53:25 pm »
So Derek & Robert, as you concider Rinsing to be So important you would never, ever concider bonnet cleaning a carpet, because the carpet is'nt 'rinsed'

MIke
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Derek

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 09:20:27 pm »
Mike

There are horses for courses... There are instances when I would use a bonnet system and times when I would use a dry compound system.  

I very often use a combination technique for cleaning either very dirty carpets or carpets which have weak seams (24" width ones)

I am 'old fashioned' Mike and Yes, I do like to rinse any residues from the carpet... almost all the time.

I realise that customers today are looking for a very quick dry job hence the rise in popularity of the bonnet systems and Dry Compound systems....  with me its a case of 'old dog and new tricks'.

I realise, 'allegedly' that modern bonnet systems and Dry Compound systems can achieve the same results in appearance but on the majority of carpets I clean I, personally, would still be unhappy using a bonnet system alone.... its a 'me thing'....put it down to my age.

I KNOW 'my' carpets are as clean as I can get them AND residue free.

I have probably upset a few folks with these comments but at the end of the day its down to the individual operator... in this case ME.

Regards
Derek

Robert_O

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 10:43:18 pm »
Hi Mike

You make your own choice mate, :-/.  

If people think other forum members are talking out of their hats then they should put their own thoughts forward, and ignore the gobbledegook :).

Me I'm just full of codswallop!!! ;D ;)

Bonnet de duesh

Robert_O

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004, 11:06:42 pm »
This is also where a basic understanding of the cleaning agents and their properties comes in to its own.

If technicians understand the basics of how the different chemical products work, then they can make the appropriate choice in their selection.

For bonnet cleaning you would clearly use bonnet cleaning chemicals, chemicals that are designed specifically for that purpose. You wouldn't use say an extraction detergent to bonnet, you would use either an encapsulation/chrystalising solution, or perhaps a micro splitter that will not be detrimental in terms of resoiling residues left behind.

Neither would you use a chrystalising shampoo solution in an extraction machine.

It just happens that I think it is logical to pre-spray the cleaning product, agitate if required, and rinse with an acidic rinsing agent or fresh water (when extraction cleaning) ??? ;).

Now that's how to suck eggs!!! ??? ::) ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004, 11:32:45 pm »
Robert, i've put my own thoughts forword on the residue-detergent-rince topic so many times i can't be bothered to do it again.

as for gobbledegook, I speak it fluently ;)

its just sometimes I can't help commenting when I see contradictory posts ;)

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Robert_O

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004, 12:37:42 am »
Hmmm! :-X :D

Derek

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2004, 09:07:47 am »
Mike

I am not sure where you are coming from on the 'contradictory' comment... was it my comment a couple of posts ago?

If it was then I will clarify.... pH balance is one thing... There are suppliers who have chemicals that they say 'self neutralise'... that's one issue.

Whether chemicals self neutralise or not there is still the residual element of what is left behind... that's the bit I was referring to....as I said ...it's a 'ME thing'

Cheers
Derek

Robert_O

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 02:09:40 pm »
I think Mikes on the wind up!!! ;D ;)