Robert_O

Re: The devils spawn - have you seen this?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2004, 11:30:02 am »
Did anyone get a response from the clean your own carpet company?

I was sent this short but sweet reply:

"Thanks for taking the time to send in your opinion".

Regards

Robert

Ivar_Haglund

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 12:07:53 am »
Most of my customer speak Norwegian

so when it reaches Norway I will worry about.
Adjø

IVAR ::) ::) ::)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 12:23:38 am »
I have not read what you are talking about, but in every grouping of the population there is probably a thief a rapist or a muderer.

I have seen an advert from a carpet cleaner in sheffield which says hes been police checked so he is the only ok carpet cleaner.

Other cleaners give Health warnings saying dont touch anyone who is not in NCCA or IIRC registered

Ruling out people who were trained by other organizations.

However i do not aprove of any slagging off advertising.

We should sell the benifits of own service.

Scare tactics wont go away they are the oldest high preasure selling trick in the book/

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2004, 01:16:18 am »
Surely only an American could fall for a line like that? Why should we worry? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dynafoam

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2004, 03:06:22 am »

Cats like babies - right?

Yes, Bill..............But only as part of a properly balance diet  ;D

John.

Derek

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2004, 08:57:55 am »
Hi Ian

I do agree that there are miscreants in all sections of the community...

As professionals we are taught to carry out a 'risk assessment' under H & S legislation. The risk assessment states that 'we should provide a safe working environment for us, our staff and our customers.

Let's take this a stage further...I think this should be extended to protect the public from unscrupulous traders.
I know of a cleaner in Oldham who also has 'been checked out by the Police'... he discussed it with me quite a few years ago and expressed his concern that he wanted to reassure his customers that he was a genuine guy...nothing to do with the competition. He may be right and then again he may be over reacting.

The NCCA and IICRC organisations are slightly different than most other companies selling training and therefore should be looked at accordingly.

I was talking to someone only this week who in turn supplied a guy who trained young people in a young offenders prison in cleaning practices for when they left prison.

He said to me that he was concerned that these people would possibly be working in a 'high risk potential' business when they left.. I, personally, believe that everyone has to have a chance but I have to think in terms of 'risk assessment' yet again.

We are very vunerable... we often work in property alone with a lady therefore I follow some very simple guidelines to ensure that no one is compromised...

Here endeth the lesson..... sorry folks I got carried away!

Cheers
Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2004, 12:42:50 am »
Dereck,

I know that you are a Senior respected figure and leader in the UK carpet cleaning industry, and apreciate that the NCCA is trying to set high standards.

My bugbear is that I have done two training courses run by leading industry suppliers and Assosiate members of the NCCA

Run by pionears of the industry in this country.

However if I wanted to join NCCA I would have to take their course.

There appears to be no acreditation of prior learning.

I know its the course i will have to take .

Tell me does the NCCA vet prospective applicants to make sure they are trustworthy.

Regards

Ian Gourlay

PS I have been Police Checked for my non CC role.

Just wondering if Cleaners come under the same regs as care home staff if cleaning in elderley folks homes.

Derek

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2004, 09:25:13 am »
Hi Ian

The NCCA course, or other accepted courses such as IICRC is mandatory for joining.

This is just to ensure that members have a fundamental knowledge of the industry.

'Some' of the suppliers courses are good but all are obviously biased towards their particular products. That's why they are run and it's good busines practice... I have no problem with that.

Any training is better than none.

The NCCA and IICRC courses are generic... nothing is on sale therefore a complete overview of the industry is available.

Ian..whether you join the NCCA or not is a personal choice and I respect that.

Before the emergence of bulletin boards, such as this, being a carpet cleaner could be a lonely occupation. The NCCA provided and still provides the link between cleaners and provides training, technical backup, friendship etc. etc.

The reason I got more involved was I love to know whats happening within the industry..I suppose you could say I am nosey.  I receive information regarding carpets/upholstery earlier than most by belonging.

Some people simply don't like Associations..that's fine it is not compulsory to join the NCCA.

I will still let you buy me a pint  ;) ;D

Cheers
Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004, 11:46:04 pm »
Derek

I would love to buy you a pint somtime.

Its a free board and I have said that in a lot of industries prior learning earns you so many points towards a qualification.

I think you will agree with me Ashbys and Prochem are industry leaders  and their courses last as long as Alltec and the NCCA courses.

Anyway about 13 years ago when I first thought about joining the industry you were very courteous and helpful to me when I phoned you out of the blue.   I thank you for this