wayne zabel

Rippled carpet
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:54 pm »
I cleaned a carpet that I had identified as a BW last Thursday afternoon.

When doing it the customer said that last time it was done it rippled and the cleaner had to come back.I said I had never known that type of carpet to ripple but explain how BW's can shrink.

Anyway on completion I told her that if it rippled it would go back in a couple of days.I got a call this morning saying it had rippled - not as bad as last time though - and was still rippled 4 days after the clean.There is no shrinkage,just rippling as far as I know.I need to go and look at the carpet on Wednesday.

Will this go back on its own even though its 4 days since cleaning and also do BW's ripple or could I have mis identified it as a BW.

Colin Day

Re: Rippled carpet
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »
I tell them to ring back in a week.... Then I advise they have a carpet fitter back in to kick it in... The carpet, not the customer ;D

Helen

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:24 pm »
Will this go back on its own even though its 4 days since cleaning

If it is 100% dry then unlikely much will change

do BW's ripple or could I have mis identified it as a BW.

Only you will know that. We had one do this a few months back which did go back into shape and size.
I suspect on ours it was delamination along the traffic lane areas because non traffic areas weren't effected.

clinton

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:40:58 pm »
Dont sound like a b w mate ???

They usually go back overnight..

cleanability

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 05:17:28 pm »
Cleaned loads of BW's never had one ripple. And rippling has always righted itself with mine.

Chris

davep

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:50 am »
A belgian wilton will not ripple!

Odd that this one hasn't settled though.  As said, it may be delamination that wasn't apparent before you started.  Are the ripples all the way across the carpet or only in the traffic lanes?

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:12:22 am »
B/W'S DO RIPPLE  :o  I had one buckle like you wouldn't believe, but very rare when this happens
"So basically its a big vax!"

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 07:21:38 am »
I once had a raspberry ripple       ;D

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:21 am »
Give it time. Carpets can take a while to return to normal especially in the summer when we have high humidity.

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 08:19:39 am »
And don't forget moving heavy furniture across carpets, even with sliderts can ripple carpets permanently. Always lift if possible.

richy27

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:31:50 am »
I personally have not had a bw ripple but have a had quite a few other carpets ripple all have gone back within a few days. Listen to what jk says about moving furniture.

derek west

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:28:55 am »
BW's can ripple, allthough its more like large longish air bubbles than ripples, for this to happen there has to shrinkage.

it won't go back if as my description.

Jim_77

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 02:16:47 pm »
Rippling happens in tufted carpets.  There is a scientific explanation which I can't quote precisely, but it is something to do with moisture affecting the different materials in different ways so the tension across the carpet is disturbed.  Differences between the primary/secondary backings, or something to do with the latex.  I can't remember exactly.

Yes a BW will ruck with dimensional change, but that is a totally different thing.  It probably wasn't fitted correctly, a bit too slack maybe.  If it was fitted properly, a small amount of desire to shrink should just pull up tension on the grippers (which should be doubled up, tacked and glued to the floor) and then dissipate as the carpet dries out.

To date I've never seen a BW installed correctly.