wayne zabel

Hose extentions
« on: July 30, 2010, 07:29:38 pm »
I currently have only  25 foot hoses on my Steempro Powermax and looking to buy extentions.
At present I carry the machine upstairs  :(

Money will be tight as I go full time next week,do you think its advisable to buy 25 of 50 foot extentions.

I dont think I will be doing much work were I ned 75 foot

Any advice?

clinton

Re: Hose extentions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:36:32 pm »
I would invest wayne in some extra hoses mate,you should not be carting the mahine up stairs mate.

Even when i was running an old twin vac i always in most cases left it outside..

I used to have another two hoses made up of 25 ft just in case mate and looks more professional rather than cart it upstairs i m o..

james roffey

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:55:31 pm »
Wayne you mst be a big strong lump if you are humping a machine upstairs, as i said the other day when we spoke, i dont know how you have managed with just 25ft, you must be rolling the machine from room to room.
Hose is not that costly, its a shame you are not closer you could have some spare hose i have.
50ft should be your standard length you use from day to day leave the machine outside which customers will like and you can still reach the back bedroom of most houses i have never had to use the exra 25ft on the 50ft length i have but i am reasured that i have it if i need it.

Richard Cole

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:27 pm »
I've got two lots of 25ft and went to quote a job this afternoon and its a 3 story house and yep they want landing and bathroom on top floor done. Got the job but I'm thinking I might need more than the 50ft available to me, or I'll be hauling my Airflex up to the first floor.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

wynne jones

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:02:13 pm »
Of course you should get more hose.

However you have managed so far, why not wait till you have a bit more cash. You don't know when you might need it for something essential. Don't go out of business before you have started because you over extended yourself. Keep an eye out on fleebay, just make sure it only has a hole at each end. ;)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

wayne zabel

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:09 pm »
I fully intend to get the hoses but at first thought about buying an extra 50 foot giving me 75 foot.

If I can do 90% of my work with 50 foot I wont bother with 75 ft

james roffey

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »
I've got two lots of 25ft and went to quote a job this afternoon and its a 3 story house and yep they want landing and bathroom on top floor done. Got the job but I'm thinking I might need more than the 50ft available to me, or I'll be hauling my Airflex up to the first floor.

Oh no you wont not unless you want a slipped disk :'(  it's a heavy bit of kit, i took a Ninja upstairs a couple of time i'm not doing that with my Airflex theres no need anyway it's powerful enough to run very long hose lengths

Richard Cole

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:50:59 pm »
Hi James, I've only got the Pro 135psi, so not as heavy as the turbo 600psi, but I know what you mean. I'm hoping that I can run the hoses straight up to top floor as it has a clear run right to the top so it might just do it. Its a big old house with trashed old dark green wool carpet.  I tried to price myself out of the job as I thought it might be to much trouble so quoted £240, and got the job but thats for 2 large landings, 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, and 2 stairs.

M.Acorn

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:58:41 am »
I ran for nearly 2 years with only 25ft !!
Was one of the best investments i made,getting 2 more sets,did drop the machine from halfway up once,that was with 30ltrs of water in the tank,all on the hallway carpet !!
Not sure how my back coped with it..Buy some more fella
What goes around comes around

robert meldrum

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 08:29:06 am »
Alternative solution would be a lightweight portable for the work above 2nd floor level. I have a Sabrina Maxi which is ideal for the out of reach areas. There's a smaller model too but not sure about it's performance.

Joe H

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 09:03:50 am »
I would defo get some more, at LEAST another 25', and then another 25 later.
Dont know how you managed lugging a machine upstairs..

If you get a 50' piece, cut it and make a 35' and a 15' (you need two more cuffs and 2 joiners of course).

Then you have 15', 25', 35', 40', 50', and 75'. Never too much spare hose for you to trip over.

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 11:05:21 am »
Alternative solution would be a lightweight portable for the work above 2nd floor level.

Why,that would cost more than the extra lengths of pipe ?

What goes around comes around

Derek_Walker

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 11:16:14 am »
I would buy 50' length of hoses and use the 25' as spare, when needed.

Jim_77

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 11:21:17 am »
I seriously wouldn't bother using any more than 50ft with your machine Wayne... it will suffer from terrible vacuum performance at 75ft.

Until you're ready to invest in a more capable extraction machine, stick with 50ft and that will do you for 95% of residential jobs.  I'd even go as far as saying stick to 25ft hose length, keep the machine inside and use the other 25ft as an exhaust hose if your machine has the option.  You'll get a much better performance from it.

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »
I would defo get some more, at LEAST another 25', and then another 25 later.
Dont know how you managed lugging a machine upstairs..

If you get a 50' piece, cut it and make a 35' and a 15' (you need two more cuffs and 2 joiners of course).

Then you have 15', 25', 35', 40', 50', and 75'. Never too much spare hose for you to trip over.

That is excellent advice. Have to say in most domestics i've never needed more than 50'. I do use 2" though so have a short whip hose, or I have a reducer cuff on and go straight onto the wand.

Also agree with Jim, 50 is as far as I would go with a twin. I have run at 65' with an Alltec twin and that was just acceptable with plenty of dry strokes.

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 11:24:15 pm »
I know how you feel about lugging that thing up stairs and pushing it from room to room... horrid

Richard Cole

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 06:33:49 pm »

Well just got back from completing the job and although I thought the 50 foot would not be enough it was.  I had to hang the pipe through the top of the stairs and let it hang down the veritcal drop and made sure it was securley tied and used a couple of terry towels to protect woodwork.  The job took me from 9.30 till 5pm without a break, bloody hell i am knackered, but it was worth it.  It was a very large house over 3 floors and I did 2 beds, 2 bathrooms, 2 stairs and 2 large landings. It was only when I was getting paid that I find out the owner was titled a Lady no less.  Well going for a well desereved beer now.

jasonl

I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jim_77

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 11:41:17 pm »
less than 50ft capacity, so no not really I wouldn't have thought :)

rich hand

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 08:26:02 pm »
I have 100ft solution line coiled on a hose reel and it often reaches 75ft on domestic properties since I always leave the machine outside, much better.