bennymon

cheapest ever
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:24:52 pm »
ive had 2 of my customers informing me over the last 2 days that a company has phoned them out of the blue offering to clean any 2 carpets for £8.99 .the company are from portsmouth but the people they called are in woking 40 odd miles away so the price wouldnt cover the fule. they also do 5 rooms for £21.99. have any of you ever seen cheaper. :o  :o

Joe H

Re: cheapest ever
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:29:17 pm »
Ring them up, book em, find out what the bill was, then tell us all about it.

jasonl

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 06:51:24 pm »
The company you speak of is called Enterprise cleaning of Ferndown near Bournemouth, they have at least 20 vans now ,and a call centre with girls phoning with the 8.99 offer .

I wanted to know more so I applied to work there, Ian the GM told me that "your sales skills and personality persuades the customer that they need stain removal, deodorizing,protection and other services"  You get a van, prochem machine and no training for 140 /week .. you give the company 40%  of your takings .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »
Its obvious you have to upsell.
but Jason, is the basic wage £140, then you get what upsell less 40% goes to the business.

jasonl

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:01:10 pm »
It is self employed , no basic wage , you get to rent the van and machine from them for 140/week.

I told him this was not legal or ethical and they would get shut down, he was very cocky and arrogant ,and said they had been running a year and would be nationwide soon .

The office is 2 mins from my house , I shall go and take a photo of all the vans in the morning and put it up here , shall park my van next to them all .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:26:48 pm »
Ah right, so you pay them £140 per week. Got it.

So if they dont feed you jobs then you have well and truly lost out.

but if you turnedover £800 a week, then you give them 40% which leaves you with £480, less the £140 for the van - so you get £340

I would rather turn over £800 per week and find my own way.

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »
Most guys do 1500-2k a week , not hard when you are getting 200 plus to clean a through lounge from an old dear , it wont be long until they are shut down I reckon
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

JandS

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »
Would feel awful to know I had earned 2K for the
week only to hand them £940 back.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:35:16 pm »
They are expandig very quickly, now have over 50 vans! They now have a depot in Reading and are opening in Bristol soon!

DanielWelford

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »
If you search for them on google maps, there are some really bad reviews, so I dont they will last.

Dan

robert meldrum

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 07:48:08 pm »
Well I reckon Mr Arrogant has a b*****y good business model which according to those figures is giving him around £14,500 a week ...................Sure it's unethical and could be taken to court by trading standards but how long will that take and how much will he have salted away by then ?

When other people are charging as much it might be pretty hard to prove they're cheating the public there's a precedent for charging high prices.

Yes I know the circumstances are different............but, there are NO NATIONAL STANDARDS in this UNREGULATED BUSINESS and you can charge what you like.

I remember all of the training courses / seminars I attended years ago suggesting we should ALWAYS UPSELL and potentially DOUBLE OUR TICKET....................is that so different.

I thought it was unethical and never did it .................DID YOU, OR YOU ?

iain.t

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 07:53:15 pm »
And they don't move furniture unless 'asked' to according to ther flyer, had a customer thru lounge diner went from £9 to £350 with stainguard, she haggled down to £200, in & out 45mins no furniture moved and very few stains removed, there supposed to have trading standards breathing down there necks in Portsmouth, Brighton area.
IICRC regisetered.

Colin Day

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 07:54:34 pm »
I agree Robert, it's not the way I would personally do business, but this fella isn't as daft as some of us think, and he's earning a hell of a lot more than I am! :'(

robert meldrum

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 08:03:15 pm »
Yep..................I'm  certainly not condoning his style but you run a business to make money and it's a lot easier to make money by being SMART which is what this guy is being.

Being HONEST and DECENT has STOPPED me having the high earnings of a few others I know in this industry and I often wish I had been a lot more BRASS NECKED over the years

MAX Carpets

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 08:15:23 pm »
I know some of there operators come on here (Dont worry, I wont name you) The machines they use are not Prochem, but imported crap from China. However the operator I know of has at least done the right thing and brought himself a Powerflight, hes a nice guy too.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 08:17:30 pm »
Most of there advertising is tele-sales, this suprises me as when we have gone into tele-sales its always been useless, but then we do ot offer £8.99!

jasonl

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »
They only had prochem machines in thier offices , ill call in soon and have another look.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 09:31:53 pm »
Jas your spot on there i spoke to one of there cleaners about 2 weeks ago he was using a old ninja i asked him the psi on it he looked at me like i was from mars got talking he was trained by the guy that was leaving 3 day course

Customer called for the 3 room deal £21.99

He upsold the cleaning to £380 pre spray extra stain removal extra deodoriser you guest it extra stain protection.

lounge/dinner + hsl

ALSO SAID TO ME HOW HE HAD A NIGHTMARE YESTERDAY TURNED SOMEONES SOFA A FUNNY COLOUR
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Colin Day

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 09:37:30 pm »
I bet Mark Alwright will be on to this ;D ;D ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
I think its a good business model!... But obviously they are going about it totaly unethical and by the sounds of it, extremly lazy!

The CEO's only concern seems to be to scale up at all costs, not giving a flying ...... for customer service, quality etc and hopefully it'll turn round and bite him on the bum soon!

If he provided  proper training to his staff, kitted them out with proper gear and clean vans etc and didn't blantantly lie about thier prices and upsell so ridiculously!! Then you cant really complain but applaud....

Tony

jasonl

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 09:50:20 pm »
All the vans are 09 plates little citroens , some transit sized citroens too, all on lease.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 10:18:54 pm »
I'm spitting feathers here >:(
Why when I go to a property to quote and the carpets look pristine do I look for the hidden cameras just incase.
Yet these f...ers are getting away with nothing short of robbery. I bet they don't even apply any form of stainshield even if the poor sucker of a customer has been talked into it.
Even a company from years ago called Chores had some ethics about them unlike this bunch.
Why haven't they been reported to any of those cowboy tradesmen TV programmes or Trading Standards.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 08:04:53 am »
I cant believe it took this long for this subject to reach the forums......................the end is nigh me thinks!

jasonl

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 08:06:46 am »
I posted about it in January , it is  only a matter of time before they are brought to book for thier methods.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Steve Chapman

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:33 am »
We've had them here in Weymouth too, I get at least 1 customer a week who have booked them but then asked them to leave when realized what they up to. One this week has said they will def report them to trading standards.

It's hardly a good business model, just a straight forward con
can't see them operating that long when gaining such a bad reputation.

One customer said they turned up at their house with what looked like a rug doctor , and just cleaned the lounge carpet with water, aparantly that's what you get for the £8.99, they just asked them to leave.

It's prob good for us in the long run, most customers are not that stupid.

Steve

Helen

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 08:28:16 am »
Have just e-mailed this lot to BBC Rogue Traders programme 8)

jasonl

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 08:46:58 am »
Have just e-mailed this lot to BBC Rogue Traders programme 8)

Did that in January ,had no response
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jason Ryan

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 08:50:49 am »
i think for a company (sole trader) to appear on a tv programe like Rouge Traders they will have to have a certain number of complaints to the programe 1st before they consider following them.

nevil

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 09:10:49 am »
I would think the complaints are rolling in thick and fast. I can't wait to see them on rogue traders.

Just a thought. I wonder if they get many recommends or repeat business.

Sadly this sort of thing doesn't give our industry a good name. They must have an argument with every customer when they ask for their money. It's blatant bait and switch and simply unethical.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 09:13:41 am »
What I do not get is if company are promoting  say £9.99 a room how do they kow if operator took £100 , £200 or £300

I do think we all need to learn more about upselling sklls triggers etc so that we can use them in a more ethical way.

I am probably to soft but do not charge extra for deoderisers or stain removal , obviously I do charge for protection

If this was a Good Forum one of you would do a post on upselling ;D ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 10:01:43 am »
I seriously dislike people who try to up sell me. It's as if having given them my order they then decide that isn't enough and try to add on things that are more to their benefit than they are to mine. I went into P C World to buy a high end computer and the moment I told the sales person which machine I wanted he then tried to get me to have it on finance instead of paying for it there and then. I told him I don't take credit - ever! He then tried to get me to rent the bloody thing. In the end I walked out and bought it somewhere my business was appreciated.

And that is the problem in up-selling, you risk giving your customer the impression that you aren't grateful for the business they've already given you and want more and so start selling them things they probably don't need, like protection and if they feel even the slightest pressure, or sense that you are the only one gaining, then they'll quickly become an ex-customer.

Simon

John Kelly

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 10:19:06 am »
What I find hard to understand is how someone who was willing to pay 8.99 to have a carpet cleaned ends up paying hundreds. There can't be that many vunerable people out there.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 10:25:37 am »
They've gone from 0-50+ vans in a very short time, must be loads of suckers out there. They also now sell the machines that they use and import from China on e-bay.

Helen

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:56 am »
What I find hard to understand is how someone who was willing to pay 8.99 to have a carpet cleaned ends up paying hundreds. There can't be that many vunerable people out there.

Me too! The "someone" is looking for a cheap job obviously because of the £8.99, so unless they feel threatened at the time, why stump up hundreds ??? Doesn't make sense.
Upselling is ok if done at point of quote in my opinion, then all has been discussed and agreed, prior to work starting.
Just wondering how many of the vulnerable enterprise customers have stopped their cheques, before they could be cashed :)

Helen

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 11:23:49 am »
I seriously dislike people who try to up sell me. It's as if having given them my order they then decide that isn't enough and try to add on things that are more to their benefit than they are to mine. I went into P C World to buy a high end computer and the moment I told the sales person which machine I wanted he then tried to get me to have it on finance instead of paying for it there and then. I told him I don't take credit - ever! He then tried to get me to rent the bloody thing. In the end I walked out and bought it somewhere my business was appreciated.
Good for you ;)

And that is the problem in up-selling, you risk giving your customer the impression that you aren't grateful for the business they've already given you and want more and so start selling them things they probably don't need, like protection and if they feel even the slightest pressure, or sense that you are the only one gaining, then they'll quickly become an ex-customer.

Simon
It depends on how you sell the extra's though. If someone says they want a carpet cleaned, do they know it can be deodorised, stain protected etc etc.....maybe not. It's always worth saying "have you considered having it stain protected?" If you get a straight no, take it as no! If you get a hesitation or I didn't know you could do that? you're halfway there, explain the benefits to the customer and take it from there. If they are still undecided, then  book them in for the clean and say "have a think about the stain protection, you can always let me know or even tell me when I clean" there are so many ways, without pressurising people :)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 01:03:52 pm »
I knew this was a good forum ;D ;D

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »

Zero, zilch, none, but then why would they care if all they are after are suckers.
I like to sleep at night in the knowledge I have provided an affordable quality service, quite how the owner and workers of that outfit sleep well I don't know.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »
If I remember correctly wasnt this exact same format used in the states a few years ago? I seem to remember the company being closed down.

Justin

garry22

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 02:38:12 pm »
It was Justin.

In the USA they have the Better Business Bureau and unlike most UK bodies, it has teeth.

Joe Polish made himself a national name by exposing bait and switch operators.

Upsells are fine. The problem comes if vunerable people such as pensioners are being intimidated into parting with large sums of money (as in the missing roof tile scams).

I met a lad who worked for one of these sort of carpet cleaning companies and he had to clean at least fifteen (normal sized lounge) carpets per day to make his money up. He did not last long.

Like it or not, this couple's activities will impact on other companies because it reinforces the perception of carpet cleaning being a dodgy or crooked profession.

Colin Day

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »

Zero, zilch, none, but then why would they care if all they are after are suckers.
I like to sleep at night in the knowledge I have provided an affordable quality service, quite how the owner and workers of that outfit sleep well I don't know.

Horlicks works for me ;D ;D ;D

Joe H

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 03:06:08 pm »
They have no conscience, thats how they sleep at night.  I'm all right jack attitude.

Robert Watson

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:37 pm »

Like it or not, this couple's activities will impact on other companies because it reinforces the perception of carpet cleaning being a dodgy or crooked profession.
That`s the bit that worry's me.
What can we do about it?
Rab
The Kitchen Door Centre

jasonl

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 06:02:17 pm »
I think that everyone in the affected areas needs to add warnings to  all marketing
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

derek west

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 06:23:02 pm »
what can we do about it!

a big red warning sign on all advertising, warning of bait and switch. if it comes to this area, thats what i'll do.

clinton

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 06:27:23 pm »
Could be the only way to stop them i guess like derek said..

garry22

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2010, 07:40:47 pm »
Look at the Piranha / Fastrack Consumer Awareness Guides (many of which are online).

Explaining about bait and switch is a cornerstone of the "education marketing". it would be fairly easy to come up with your own version that does not breach their copyright.

Joe H

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2010, 08:46:06 pm »
I have already started warning my clients - watch out for the adverts and then I explain what they do.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »
we should all write to watchdog/rouge tradesmen etc etc and get all our firends and thier friends to write in too  ;D ok unethical but who cares!

bennymon

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »
as the poster said earlier how do you upsell to people who are only willing to pay £8.99 answer you cant.this company are catching mainly elderly or wealthy people so once your in the house the upsell is a bit easier.the real shame is if this guy gets shut down he has already made enough money he will light his cigar get a glass of bubbly and laugh at us. >:(

acc

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 09:31:14 pm »
If people are thick enough to expect to get 2 carpets cleaned for 8.99 then they deserve all they get.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2010, 07:32:12 am »
Some are not genuine me thinks!

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2010, 09:42:04 am »
Hang on a second, guy's.
I think there are some double standards going on here.
Bait and switch has been going on for as long as I have been in the business and it has been done by many reputable companies who have a policy of up-selling on every job.
Surely it is the intent to squeeze as much money as possible out of each and every client that is what you are all up in arms about and yet many of you do the very same thing, albeit a little more subtly. Perhaps you don't use the same element of bait, but if the intent is to up-sell then surely that is the switch - you get to the job intending to up the ticket any way you can.
How many of you have sold clients protector when they didn't need it? That is just as corrupt a practise as anything these guy's are doing because there is an element of dishonest at its heart.

Don't get me wrong, I despise these kind of people along with the rest of you, I just think in many cases it the 'pot calling the kettle black!'

Simon

Steve Chapman

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2010, 10:12:23 am »
Simon,

If you knew exactly how these guys operate you'd realize its not the same at all.

i upsell all the time as any business  would, but these operate with the sole intention of misleading customers and then conning them out of as much money as possible.

I've had customers quoted £8.99 and parted with £280, they've felt intimidated and bullied.

These guys mostly have cheap rubbish machines, no training and no manners.

One trick they use is to book lots of prospects and pick and choose which ones they will go to.
If they are not going to do a job they phone and say the van has broken down and cant make it, i've heard this stacks of times over the last few months.

Last week i went to an elderly customer where they had emptied all there furniture outside and then the phone call came and said they couldnt make it,  they then phoned me and i went and did it for them.

They are just cowboys and dangerous for our industry,  some customers i have been to have been genuinely  frightened because of there tactics,  its just not right and they should be closed down,

Its definitley not the same as a decent business upselling to increase there bottom line.

Regards
steve

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:02 am »
Steve,

I agree with you absolutely. These people are a disgrace and I hate these kind of practises as much as anyone else.
My point was that there are reputable companies that do the same thing - get to the job and up-sell. And you don't need to be paying only £8.99 to feel intimidated and bullied by a salesman. I've had customers who said they just paid the extras just to get rid of them, to me that is equally atrocious.

Simon

bennymon

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »
i agree simon if you start pushing things people dont really want or need then it is bait and switch. once the customer thinks your a salesman they may put up with it the once but they wont want you back

Steve Chapman

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2010, 04:58:32 pm »
How do you or they know they need it  unless you offer it  ;D

I guess the difference is once you have mentioned the other services and educated them a little, if they still not interested then time to back off.

I must admit a great percentage of my customers end up spending more when i'm there cleaning, but it really is their choice and i'm not into the hard sell, i really would still be happy to just do the original clean for the agreed amount. i think its that attitude that puts the customers at ease.

Most the time i think they spend more because they really have not thought about the other options, after all they are not carpet cleaners so they dont know what to ask for, or know whats the best option.

Its possible for them also to spend more money but actually get more value for money, and thats normally what i focus on when talking to them.

Regards
steve

garry22

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2010, 05:41:32 pm »
Steve, Simon,

There is a huge difference between you offering your customers a bit extra and someone else deliberately misleading people into thinking they are going to get the full service for a certain price.

It is this knowing deceipt that people are objecting to.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2010, 05:55:08 pm »
Gary,

But isn't it knowingly deceitful to sell protector to people knowing perfectly well that the vast majority of carpets do not need it? The intent is surely the same.

Simon

garry22

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2010, 06:07:45 pm »
My answer to that is yes. I agree.

The point I was making is this. That company's people (who in fairness are probably trying to do best for their own families) are going to each job knowing the company has not been honest with the client beforehand.

It's like booking a car service for say £ 20 and the garage then saying "oh that's just to lift the bonnet" and then hitting them with loads of items that should be an integral part of the service.

Bob Allen

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2010, 09:44:20 pm »
I beleive Enterprise has an office in Portsmouth, ive been talking to alot of my customers and a few have been contacted, a couple have even got them round (much to my discust) and as already said they do a small patch then say "its gonna need out deep clean" which is gonna cost alot more
A customer told me today there was a discussion about this company on bbc radio solent.
I have tried to ring them to see if i can listen to this mornings discussion
will let you know how i get on
Bob Allen

bennymon

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »
any news mate

jasonl

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 08:47:31 am »
Had an interesting chat about Enterprise with a local Prochem distributor , he told me Prochem will no longer supply them, after a big falling out about business methods.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Bob Allen

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2010, 10:34:11 pm »
Couldnt get hold of radio discussion...sorry
Bob Allen

paul wallace

Just trying to do a Good-Honest job and make money!

Peter_Jones

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:02 pm »

ianharper

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2010, 09:53:37 am »
Guys

First, what about your own USP have can you compare you own service with this type of service.

Second, all they are doing is showing loads of people how they can earn money from carpet cleaning. it will not take long for these guys to go out on their own. its then that you will have a flood of carpet cleaners in your area that might be an issue as they will be after the same money your getting.

No business can market on low price and be around for long. There will someone else that thinks its also a good idea and that's the end of the first guy.

If you have these guys in your area. get yourself on more courses and promote them to prospects. I have already started this in my business. Having City & guilds will trump and other certification. as people now what it is.

I have said before about about you guys getting City & Guilds its easy and done from home. in fact lots that is taught should be part of basic training from any association that is related to carpet cleaning. I have found that much of this basic stuff is missed out. BTW the exam is multiple choice.

Contact BICSc and ask about their open learning. they are a true association dedicated to training and ethic's in cleaning.

Fight fire with fire. point out in your marketing the risks. then let the prospect decide.

Its our job the point out people rights as professional carpet cleaners.

Respect

Ian Harper

garry22

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »
Ian,

I cannot disagree with anything you say but I feel this is a special case.

We can all try as hard as possible to raise professional standards and more importantly, peoples' perception of the industry.

It just takes one bad apple (such as this)  to reinforce peoples' fears and prejudices about our business.

Suddenly all those third hand horror stories start to ring true.

Garry

Buckland

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »
Good post Ian - good advice there - ethics is what is needed and when you present your 'Goods' to a customer then you have to deliver what you describe in leaflets, website or verbals - if you cant deliver what you offer then you have to qualify the offer by giving the customer an honest appraisal of what can reasonably be achieved in a cost effective m,anner - some customers are vunerable to unscrupulous operators - these companies are all talk and very little delivery - the girls have a script and they just have to get the (cheap) job  -

Ive already posted about a company similar to this - Im not sure if its the same company - an elderly lady living on her own rang me and said could I clear up the mess that they had left behind which I did and she then told me the woeful tale of how this girl kept ringing up to get her to agree to a 'Maintenance Clean' at less than 10 quid then when she finally agreed after several calls the guy arrived and tried to upsell - she said no although she did have extra rooms done

when he had gone after less than an hour she found the carpets were dirtier than when he arrived - pooling on the stairs and spills or drips of grub etc - she complained to the boss of the company and he refused to send anyone back to rectify it - the boss said she shoudl have paid for a 'Remedial Clean' like she was offered! - now she is a tough little old lady and she is ped with this company and her son is a solicitor!! she is taking them to the small claims court to get the costs of the rectification back - I dont think they will contest it so that is already a bad thing to have against them and by the look of the reviews on google not the first instance of people being angry enough to get something done
Buckland Carpet & Fabric Care :: 01590 688938
www.SteamCleanCarpetService.co.uk

ianharper

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 06:46:14 am »
this is a PR opportunity. we can be the good guy. you dont have to name direct as people will know, just point out the risks. get some photos. you must have been on a job where the last carpet cleaner had made mistakes. this is normally why you in cleaning it this time because they got caught out last time.

we always ask if they have had carpet cleaned before.

When Tina is on the phone with a prospect and she has given the price then they say " we get back" the next question is what was you expecting to pay, they say some silly number she then asks if they have had their carpets cleaned before at that price. yes comes the answer. how long did they take to dry out? days

you have to press prospects on price give them reason why price should not be the deciding factor. we have other methods we use and they do work, not always but worth the effort. but its worth it because if we just gave the price and they hung up the chance are that they will just find and use the cheapest.

why is this important? it's the only way to bet the silly price guys. if everyone is saying the same thing about silly price then the message will get over. sure if they hear it from just one other carpet cleaner then they might listen but if they are phoning around and they hear it from two or three then the message will get over that's it about value and not price.

respect

Ian Harper

Sarah Kirby

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:48 am »
as the poster said earlier how do you upsell to people who are only willing to pay £8.99 answer you cant.this company are catching mainly elderly or wealthy people so once your in the house the upsell is a bit easier.the real shame is if this guy gets shut down he has already made enough money he will light his cigar get a glass of bubbly and laugh at us. >:(

A friend of mine used this company recently...in her words, " they just filled my room with steam". Once she questioned them, they patch tested an area with chemicals, she was impressed with the results so agreed to let them do 2 rooms. She said the overall finish was really poor, nothing like the patch test and they didnt get the stains out. The bloke turned nasty with her when she questioned him about it and she was left feeling really intimidated and upset in her own home. After her experience she advised another friend who had booked them to cancel, which she did and her friend then found herself on the wrong side of an abusive telephone call!

ianharper

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2010, 08:40:42 am »
Sarah

Sorry to hear about your friends problems. As i said earlier its our collective reasonably to educate prospects to the risks involved.

Your friend was lucky that more damage was not done. if as you say the room was full of steam this show that they where using very high temperatures and this could have damaged her carpet. And its more than likely that they don't carry the right type of insurance.

My advise for anyone man or women is if you feel that you might get a aggressive attitude if you complain is first get someone else to back you up. stay cool and just say i not paying and want you to come back when the carpets are dry and re-clean them. the chances are they will not come back and you will still have your money. your being reasonable.

BTW the patch test is a flag you would only ever expect this on a commercial job when a company was trying out someone new.

Respect

Ian Harper

jasonl

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2010, 10:22:08 am »
This company  are round the corner from me , I hear complaints daily from them. One man came to my house as we are so close on Google maps, I have now moved my location on there .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

john aitken

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »
The company you speak of is called Enterprise cleaning of Ferndown near Bournemouth, they have at least 20 vans now ,and a call centre with girls phoning with the 8.99 offer .

I wanted to know more so I applied to work there, Ian the GM told me that "your sales skills and personality persuades the customer that they need stain removal, deodorizing,protection and other services"  You get a van, prochem machine and no training for 140 /week .. you give the company 40%  of your takings .

tell them to keep well away from north east or we KILL THEM  [joking]

ianharper

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2010, 07:11:21 am »
Jason

I would have on all my marketing a message that if someone gets caught out by scammers or gets poor service you will sort it out for free. normally it would be just wet carpets. in exchange you get some photos and a testimonial that you then use. priceless.

you don't have to name anyone. but if you can get a photo with the people with the problem you could end up a local hero. great PR and you know what its like when you do a great job customers don't tell as many people as you would like. but when something goes wrong they tell everyone, So when then are telling the story of the bad guys and then they have to say about you.

Respects

Ian Harper

jasonl

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2010, 07:20:33 am »
Great Idea Ian , I will get onto that right away.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2010, 11:09:09 pm »
This is not new, it’s been happening for decades within C&U Cleaning. The last one I remember was, and I hope I'm right.... HomeCare in the North of England. Note - I COULD BE WRONG WITH NAME.
I worked as an engineer at the time for a food production factory. We had a new starter who joined us on the engineering team as a mechanical setter. I can remember him telling me how his last job was carpet and upholstery cleaning for a dodgy company.
He told me he was used on a 'self employed basis' and had to provide his own machine, transport and chemicals and took a small percentage from each job completed. He told me that he was expected to significantly up sell the service when in the home and charge massively for stain removal, stain protection, conditioning etc.
The higher the job ticket the less percentage the company would take. For example,, If he did a job for £40.00 the company would take 85% leaving him with £6.00!!!. If he managed to do the same job for £300.00 they would take 50% leaving him with £150.

They got him into a position where he could do nothing but rip people off in order to make a living for himself, they also told him that if he tried to leave for another job they would give him a terrible reference and would accuse him of being a thief. If a customer rang head office to complain they would simply tell them that the staff are self employed and the issue should be taken up with them!!! They were advertising living rooms for £3.00.
What was sadder was the fact that he had lost his wife to cancer and had to bring up his two small children on his own, whilest the owners of this scam were driving round in brand new leased BMW'S and Mercs.

Luckily he got out and got a job with us on engineering and continued cleaning carpets for himself part time and took good money, which got me into it. He went onto become a fully qualified engineer at another company and lives a nice comfortable lifestyle now. Spawney git. ;D

Pete