wayne zabel

Ligering smell
« on: June 12, 2010, 02:55:53 pm »
Hi Guys any help with this please........Did a large modern church  hall 16x16 metres about 2 weeks ago,was polyprop commercial low profile carpet,cleaned up well and got loads of dirt and grit out of the carpet.Cleaned HWE

Customer says that theres a lingering smell still around od cats or dogs,and I'm still awaiting payment.

No ventilation was used after the cleaning as they locked up the room.

Any ideas of what it is and how to solve it

Thanks

Wayne

John Kelly

Re: Ligering smell
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:09:37 pm »
The carpet will have remained damp due to lack of ventilation. This causes a fungal bloom a bit like mildew. You can't see it but it does give off a distinctive smell. It will eventually go once the carpet is totally dry, however in a church it may well remain damp for some time. Go back and give it a good spray with either Clensan or Ultrafresh and preferably leave an airmover blowing over it if you have one.

colin thomas

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:31:31 pm »
as johns reply, the only time i have ever had complaints about a lingering smell is when i have cleaned carpets and then not been able to leave windows and doors open for ventilation. told the customer to let plenty of air in and usually that cures the problem,

colin
colin thomas

wayne zabel

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:26:11 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I have 5 litres of Prochem contract carpet deoderiser,will this do the same trick as the products mentioned above?

clinton

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:26:55 am »
Can you take part of the carpet up and see how damp it is underneath?

Maybe put a couple of turbo dryers pointing under it..

markpowell

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:11:35 am »
You need Clensan Wayne it will eliminate the source of the smell, a deoderizor will only mask the smell and will be uneffective in the long run.
Mark