robert meldrum

FROST HAS ARRIVED
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:13:47 am »
Light frost on Friday night - enough to slightly jellify some dry foam - last night was pretty hard, kicking in really early, about 7-8 o'clock.

The price we pay for clear blue skies at this time of year.

I have a small van so find a simple 800 w  panel heater placed under the machine provides enough heat to keep the temperature in the middle 60's.

Andy Hogarth

Re: FROST HAS ARRIVED
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:27 am »
I pad the tm up with boiler blankets and leave a heater going in the back on frost setting.

All the chemicals in my lock up are the ones I'm worried about as I don't have any electric in it

Any ideas??
Www.2venturegroup.com

Ben Lugg

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »
The only chemical i have had problems with in the past is Prochem's Pre- spray gold which partly solidifies and does not go back.

Ben.

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:59:57 pm »
Hmmm yes it's getting to the time of year when 15 new post are started every day about the cold weather!!

Surely it's very simple?  Can we quickly summarise?

If you leave susceptible equipment and chemicals in unheated outbuildings you're a bit silly

If you leave susceptible equipment and chemicals in an unheated van you're a bit silly

If you heat your van and it isn't properly insulated you're a bit silly - and a lot poorer by the end of winter!

Can we move on now?

By the way did anyone see that programme on BBC2 tonight about predicting the weather long term, basically dancing around the question of are we going to have another "big freeze" this winter.  Very interesting that the most confident prediction of weather came from..... Morrisons supermarket!!!

Apparently the last week of November is going to see snow, the worst being NE Scotland (shock horror)

Then there won't be any significant snow until the "new year".  Shock horror!

AshWhite

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »
Just been out to buy 2 15 tog (?) Quilts, a paraffin heater, and a frost jacket and blanket for my chems. Bloody TM will be more snug than me through the winter!
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:27:13 pm »
Just been out to buy 2 15 tog (?) Quilts, a paraffin heater, and a frost jacket and blanket for my chems. Bloody TM will be more snug than me through the winter!

So what you really do is buy 2 x 15 tog quilts for the equipment in the van, but these new ones go straight into the house whilst the older ones (from the house) go into the van. A nice way of spending business cash on the household things!
As for chemicals, those that can sustain the cold whilst in the garage (again wrapped in quilts) stay there, whilst those like P-Gold come into the house.
Reduce the air space in the van with quilts and electric heater pointed at machine.

But like you say, I've opened the van doors in Feb to find it warmer in there than it is in the house.....something not right there :o