Poll

WHO HAS OR WOULD LEAFLET SHOPS THAT SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY DOES?

YES
42.3%
11 (42.3%)
NO
46.2%
12 (46.2%)
ONLY IF BAD JOB WAS BEING DONE
11.5%
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

xxmattyxx

Re: Shops
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 08:28:12 pm »
I dis agree to a certain extent NWH as if this was the case, all the shops would look crap cause the local p i s s  pot would be doin them when he could stand!

???

This means if the shop manager was only interested in the cheapest quote, then the person doing the windows would quite possibly be addicted to special brew!

and.......?

AND?....... ???

Im addicted to home-brew if I drink it  :o

Jason Atwell

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 08:35:22 pm »
Who mentioned home brew, i said special brew! you know the super strength lager that you see people walking the streets with, I was trying to make the point that, surely a manager will look beyond the price of a quote.

Sorry if i offended any special brew drinkers! :P
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

xxmattyxx

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 08:39:29 pm »
I meant Special-Brew actually  ;D

In all honesty I felt, although it might have been a throw-away comment, it could be offensive, I was really just trying to point that out.

Matt

Jason Atwell

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 08:42:39 pm »
As i said, sorry for any offense caused, :o

maybe i should of said meths drinker!!

You dont drink that do you? lol  ;D

xxmattyxx

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 08:45:14 pm »
As i said, sorry for any offense caused, :o

maybe i should of said meths drinker!!

You dont drink that do you? lol  ;D

;D  ;D Paint-stripper actually

Jason Atwell

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 08:48:34 pm »
Do your potatoes sing before you have a drink or only afterwards? ;)

xxmattyxx

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 08:53:27 pm »
They sing when THEYVE had a drink

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 08:53:43 pm »
Who mentioned home brew, i said special brew! you know the super strength lager that you see people walking the streets with, I was trying to make the point that, surely a manager will look beyond the price of a quote.

Sorry if i offended any special brew drinkers! :P
A little true story for you about taking shop work from other window clreaners, this is a true story and happened to a person that no long window cleaners:

person starts window cleaning for a local guy, thinks to himself I can do this myself, leaves local guys, starts himself gets a few houses by undercutting other cleaners, then starts on shops and undercutting the other cleaners (these have been doing for years normally passed down from dad and grandad), 1 month passes, person that started goes home to find garage and workshop alight, sorts that out 2 weeks later goes home house is full of smoke with a letter you have been warned. scARY BUT TRUE 100%

there are some real funny people around when it comes to window cleaning, if you are thinking of doing this by all means try, but my point is you do not know who you will be upsetting so be carful on what you say and the people you upset.

I dont have a clue where you are in the UK, I am just saying a true story that happened near where I live.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 09:00:21 pm »
Why do people keep mentioning undercutting?? ???

There is loads of hairdressers on this road, and a new one has just opened, bet they have not had any grief?

Probably one of the reasons w/c have a bad name!

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 09:01:25 pm »
Why do people keep mentioning undercutting?? ???

There is loads of hairdressers on this road, and a new one has just opened, bet they have not had any grief?

Probably one of the reasons w/c have a bad name!
maybe wc do, but it happens maybe in the future it will stop but at the mo this does go on.

Andy@w.c.s

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 09:01:40 pm »
Same as in Taunton
even down to fighting in the morning
slashing tyres and to be honest who need the hassle
all for a few shops who will drop you for a cheaper quote
leave them be there are bigger fish to fry

bluez

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 09:29:04 pm »
I think we are all fooling ourselves when it comes to the idea of not taking work from another window cleaner.

Every time I buy a new piece of gear or improve my printing or send texts to my database or upgrade my uniform or place an ad in the newspaper or the yellow pages I am attempting to seperate my operation from the commonplace (not bad, just commonplace).

Why?......  to get more work .......from where? ........from anyone who responds regardless of wheather they have now are at a time in the past had another window cleaner.

I expect no less from the good competition in return and have not been disapointed in the past.

Don't be put off by the scaremainers market and be damned let the public decide but check your concience before you do anything.

By the way I have never tried to directly target another window cleaners job but if in my mass marketing their clients are attracted to me then thats fair game.
hi

mark dew

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 10:30:16 pm »
Don't be put off by the scaremainers market and be damned let the public decide but check your concience before you do anything.

good advice.
I personally don't seek nor want shop work or commercial, but listening to some of the comments about how dangerous shop work can be makes the mischievous side of me want to neck a few cans of wifebeater for brekkie and go canvassing the local high street.

stevekennedy

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 10:42:01 pm »
If you get a shop this way, you will find that the old cleaner will be doing the shop next door or a few doors up when you turn up. He will approach you, possibly with his mates or even other window cleaners who don't want you knicking their jobs as well. This can get really serious. Watch yourself! My worker got this hassle when we took over a large retailer in Aberdeen. Fortunately, my worker was an ex-bouncer so he wasn't intimidated. We did that job as a team for a while until things settled down. True.

DASERVICES

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 10:49:19 pm »
You will find that a lot of shop chains are now outsourcing to National companies who then ring the likes of me to price the job up. Guess what I am always too expensive for them ;D, but on the other hand they are pricing low pushing the local w/c out of doing the job.

stevekennedy

Re: Shops - whats the best way to get them?
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 11:03:43 pm »
We do a bit of this kind of work (National Company). Ok for bread and butter work. Need to get quite a lot together to make it pay though.

DASERVICES

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 11:10:42 pm »
Caledonian, Thistle  ;)

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 08:04:18 am »

good advice.
I personally don't seek nor want shop work or commercial, but listening to some of the comments about how dangerous shop work can be makes the mischievous side of me want to neck a few cans of wifebeater for brekkie and go canvassing the local high street.

lol, what are you like  :o

paul mather

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 08:19:37 am »
Shops are so  not worth your time & effort mate. Don't bother with them would be my advice.
They are only worth doing if you have loads of them together & you will not be able to do that. You will probably get 1 or 2 & then spend the next year wondering why you are getting out of bed so early for an extra £5.
Trust me I've been there & done that & won't be doing it again. I turn down all shop work now unless it happens to be Sainsburys or Tescos. Thats a different matter.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Jason Atwell

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 06:15:56 pm »
Iv added a poll to get an overall view  ???