andycap

Re: Matching an under cutter
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 06:55:42 pm »
Although I do wonder what some of these customers will be like when I see them in the street🤔
Had a really good rapport with all of them to be honest..

DJW

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2022, 07:22:38 pm »
Don’t fall out with them. Do you shop in Marks & Spencers for your groceries or Tesco? Do you book your van into the most expensive garage in town?
It’s choice I’m afraid.

andycap

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 07:34:05 pm »
No no not the customers...I’m on about the cleaner

NWH

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2022, 08:12:55 pm »
Don’t fall out with them. Do you shop in Marks & Spencers for your groceries or Tesco? Do you book your van into the most expensive garage in town?
It’s choice I’m afraid.

I agree I had this conversation with another windy only weeks ago when he was harping on about another one we know taking on 2-3 of his jobs,I said to him it’s the customers you should have the hump with really unless he’s said something naughty about you it’s down to them tbh.

windowswashed

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2022, 09:35:35 pm »
Race to the bottom   ..... "I'm out", politely decline dropping prices and leave the door open if they wish to come back at a higher price of course as business is business, it's not personal. Move on to new pastures, we set our own parameters.

When I took on a mortgage I would keep changing jobs to maintain paying my mortgage, perserverance paid off and now I live mortgage and debt free. Would never drop prices, simply find new work.

NWH

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2022, 09:07:13 am »
In a lot of cases I reckon this is some people purely just trying it on they probably haven’t even seen another window cleaner.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2022, 03:47:17 pm »
"I can't match that price, sorry."

If they say they need to cancel:

"No problem, I understand. If the new people let you down don't hesitate to call us back and we'll pop you back on the round"

Result:

1. You're not cleaning them for a price that will pain you every time you go.

2. If they are let down and do come back, you have a customer for life.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2022, 07:35:11 pm »
"I can't match that price, sorry."

If they say they need to cancel:

"No problem, I understand. If the new people let you down don't hesitate to call us back and we'll pop you back on the round"

Result:

1. You're not cleaning them for a price that will pain you every time you go.

2. If they are let down and do come back, you have a customer for life.

Vin

I couldn't have said it better myself....

I have said this on a couple of occasions over the last 29 years of window cleaning.....👍
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2022, 09:37:12 pm »
It's a difficult situation, but it's part of owning your own business. You just have to accept that this situation can happen.
Never lower your price to match someone else. Why would you? Just replace the work you have lost, that's the actual answer.
Times are getting tough at the moment and people are looking for cheaper alternatives to help save money.
Unfortunately (despite what you might think) there is no loyalty in window cleaning and your customers have been offered a much cheaper price and they've gone for it.
We don't know the outcome; the new window cleaner may be rubbish, may not provide the service, may get fed up with the cheap price and not turn up anymore. He may even do a half decent job! We don't know.
What we do know is YOUR level of service. And in this instance it's always to be polite, offer to take them back on if it doesn't go well.
We rise above these situations, we don't worry about others, we focus on our goals and we succeed.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

GeorgeP

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2022, 12:25:38 pm »
Quite simply, no, ask them if they would go to work for half the wages they get. You are running a business. This comes with a cost, maybe remind them of your quality, reliability etc.

If they do change, wish them well, no hard feelings, then if they come back and you have availability, take them on.

NBwcs

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2022, 09:28:51 pm »
I guess taking them back on if it doesn't work out is the sensible "business" thing to do but i personally wouldn't (unless really  desperate for work). They've shown you their cards, they're willing to drop you for a cheaper windy, the trouble with that is there's always someone willing to do it cheaper, they'll probably do it again. Hopefully they'll stay with you, if not drop and forget, there very much is still loyalty in this job so replace with someone hopefully more loyal. My customers get bombarded with flyers all the time, if they wanted a cheaper job they could quite easily find someone im sure but 99% don't and i bet alot of sole traders out there are exactly the same.

Smudger

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2022, 11:11:05 pm »
your taking it a bit too personally...

its business - sometimes people change suppliers

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2022, 11:32:48 am »
We've all lost work to undercutting we just don't know it, they tell you they are  moving  house or the husband is doing it. 3 months later you drive past and oh look the local £5 any house shiner is cleaning their windows and the house move must have fallen through  :D

deeege

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2022, 02:18:37 pm »
I’ve just lost 3 on a (higher end) new build site to an undercutter.

Knew it was only a matter of time as my prices were nearly double theirs.

Not bothered in the slightest, move on etc.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2022, 02:27:52 pm »
What can you do I had it last month a guy said he’d clean it for 19 quid cheaper than me,how would that have made me look if I’d had dropped to his price.
Yeah no problem Mrs I was ripping you off for 15 years now I’ll start giving you what would seem
Like free cleans in my eyes,I’ve had jobs in the past that I’ve had to charge say 60 because they are so out the way the job windows wise might come in at 30 but you have to factor expenses in to get out to jobs like that etc,when I explain they except that I say if you can get anyone cheaper just let me know but it doesn’t happen often.

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2022, 03:04:55 pm »
About 16/17 years ago I was doing an estate for £8 per house and had several in 1 road, 1 customer said to me" I've had  a quote from another shiner for £6, can you match it?"
To which I replied "no can do my price is a firm £8 per house because if I did yours @ £6 I would have to clean the entire estate for the same amount"

Needless to say she sacked me and took on the other guy.
Moving on 3 months I was cleaning both houses either side of hers and she came out and ask me to take her on again @ £8.
Apparently,   the new guy gave up after a couple of months.

My reply to her was "sorry madam but your slot has been replaced by another customer"
after my reply she was not a happy bunny.

NWH

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2022, 03:17:56 pm »
I see where you’re coming from but I doubt she would have jumped ship again.

Shrek

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2022, 05:22:36 pm »
Guys help please,tiny rural village I do and I do about a dozen decently priced houses have done for about 8 years or so,£20 and £30 properties on a 8 weekly.
This past few days had 4 messages from 4 off them seeing if I could match a new price given by someone?
Eg Half price on all pretty much, £30 on offer for £16 etc..for a six week visit as opposed to my 8 week..customers have all messaged me saying we love your service etc etc but can you match price..on the first I said no my price is my price..I now have 3 others pretty much asking the same...bit of a dilemma but my head says would I want to do them all for half the price to keep the work😧no...
I only have a small one man round anyway but this would be a little bit of a blow on top of  a few miss me this time brigade..any pointers from experience appreciated 👍

Are you not full after 8 years? I lose around 40 a year due to people dieing , moving house , me dumping them , them dumping me. But I gain at least 80 a year without advertising.

Bungle

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2022, 07:07:03 pm »
I've had walk ups and recommendations this week. I don't understand it as we're all supposed to be skint!
We look at them, they look through them.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2022, 07:31:27 pm »
I think there is going to be a shake up in the window cleaning industry over the next few years.
Time to hold your nerve shiners.  ;D.
Heads down and crack on.