Crystal-clear

People get very excited about each van making for example 360 per day takeaway VAT at 80 quid  wages potentially 120 at least running cost for van water and diesel £30 a day. That leaves £130 per day. If you are running two vans full time that's already a very serious turnover but £260 per day profit..

Has anyone with multiple vans including the big boys ever actually pay themselves more than £50,000 per year or up to the threshold?
Is it really really worth it? I know you will basically have time on your hands to do other things and still have an income but I think some people get confused and think you're raking it in that's totally not true ... in fact you're probably earning as much as someone who is working full-time alone 30h a week. How about people with 5 vans or 10 vans ? I still think as a director you would only pay yourself up to the higher rate threshold.

Do you think it's worth it going over the threshold?
I personally think the extent you need to go to it's probably about ten Van's to be probably making about £300k profit then you could probably justify paying yourself into the higher rate threshold. But that would be some turnover and some operation obviously like Lee.
I think it's good that ambitious people on the forum look at these figures and break it all down 2 vans full-time remember that's already quite a responsibility but technically you'll be earning less unless you're physically working yourself then someone working alone 25 hours a week.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend just thought I'd throw this out here today to get people chatting :)

dazmond

Re: six figure turnovers not worth the money there meant to be?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 02:56:07 pm »
i doubt any guys with a few vans and employees are left with the same profit  as a one man band at the end of the year or else why would they do it?im quite sure they will be left with considerably more profit.
price higher/work harder!

Lee Pryor

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:00:57 pm »
Good post

In fact you make less than the figure you posted. Well I do lol. If we made £130 per van (12) for 21 working days a month that would be £32,760.00 a month and I can tell you its way less than that. More like £22,000 a month. Then of course you pay corporation tax, then as a director your left with what you can take as a dividend then pay even more tax.

Is it worth it? Yes I think so. As Dry clean like s to point out its certainly not 4,5,600k a year and he thinks its not worth it. I could pay myself around 200k a year and I would be happy with that. Currently I choose not to. I get just under 50k PAYE and leave the rest in to keep growing with a bigger picture in my mind for down the line. My Mrs earns over 100k a year so between us things are looking good for the future.

There are other sides to consider not just the money. I have a freedom that not many others do and if if were sick or hurt or something the business runs without me up to a point. On the down side the stress can be high from time to time which goes with it. Certain things actually get easier as you get bigger since you can spend money to put things and people in place to deal with stuff so you dont have to. I think my life is easier now with 12 than it was with 4. As with most things there are sweet spots along the way. One man band up to lets say 3 vans is nice. I think that point up to lets say 8 is actually very hard. 10 and beyond seems to be getting easier. I would like to reach 20 within 4 years.

A multi van business will never make the same margin as a one man band with only themselves and 1 vehicle to worry about. I personally think a one man band window cleaner is one of the best single person self employed jobs in the uk. As you get bigger you loose that margin considerably but you do gain other things as I mentioned and in the world of any business you will still have what is considered a "good" margin.  The business as it grows needs to focus on volume and cashflow then the money is still there.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 03:02:56 pm »
i doubt any guys with a few vans and employees are left with the same profit  as a one man band at the end of the year or else why would they do it?im quite sure they will be left with considerably more profit.

I think it's better obviously but I think people don't take them seriously when some of them say it's not what people think they are right. 20% before your expenses goes off to VAT then you got your expenses.
I have a friend who's im it and he makes a lot of money his limited company I think his turnover was 3 to 400000 the vast majority of that is his profit he can also charge VAT because it's business to business. He has told me he has never paid himself more than £50,000 in one tax year he has however paid himself a pension as well and only once went over the threshold because he had some private medical treatment.

Obviously it's more the convenience and having a regular income then how much money you actually making to vans after overheads I've worked it out you're lucky to see £250 per day 2 van profit. Not turning your nose up on that obviously if lot of money and yes you're not going out but it's comparable to someone working alone in this industry this is why a lot of people stay under the VAT threshold and work alone

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:52:10 pm »
It's always a difficult one to answer though isn't it.
You may take on more stress etc and perhaps make as much and if not, perhaps a little bit more. However you have that peace of mind knowing that if any personal circumstances should change, that you still have a steady income coming in.  This must be a good comfort to know.

However on the flip side, some people don't think or even consider taking their business down that course and that can be for various reasons.
I'm sure one reason is because of the sore subject of pricing.  For instance, on a Facebook page for Yorkshire window cleaners, I posted a thread about being seriously under utter, because yes, Im still surprised with how low some want to charge.  I quoted £27 per clean on a 4 wkly basis and had the job booked in. Two days before the owner phones to explain he's going with a cheaper quote at £13.  Which makes me wonder if a large 4  fancy bedroom detached house is £13  how much does he charge for a basic 3 bed semi and the guy is trad.
This got greeted with a mix of reactions, mostly negative. I don't overly care about other people's prices but if I'm in an area where I know others charge more and still get the work, then I would increase my prices and thought others would be the same, but no.
So if ones charge low prices for jobs, then growing their business in size would be nothing more than a pipe dream
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Crystal-clear

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 04:22:18 pm »
Good post

In fact you make less than the figure you posted. Well I do lol. If we made £130 per van (12) for 21 working days a month that would be £32,760.00 a month and I can tell you its way less than that. More like £22,000 a month. Then of course you pay corporation tax, then as a director your left with what you can take as a dividend then pay even more tax.

Is it worth it? Yes I think so. As Dry clean like s to point out its certainly not 4,5,600k a year and he thinks its not worth it. I could pay myself around 200k a year and I would be happy with that. Currently I choose not to. I get just under 50k PAYE and leave the rest in to keep growing with a bigger picture in my mind for down the line. My Mrs earns over 100k a year so between us things are looking good for the future.

There are other sides to consider not just the money. I have a freedom that not many others do and if if were sick or hurt or something the business runs without me up to a point. On the down side the stress can be high from time to time which goes with it. Certain things actually get easier as you get bigger since you can spend money to put things and people in place to deal with stuff so you dont have to. I think my life is easier now with 12 than it was with 4. As with most things there are sweet spots along the way. One man band up to lets say 3 vans is nice. I think that point up to lets say 8 is actually very hard. 10 and beyond seems to be getting easier. I would like to reach 20 within 4 years.

A multi van business will never make the same margin as a one man band with only themselves and 1 vehicle to worry about. I personally think a one man band window cleaner is one of the best single person self employed jobs in the uk. As you get bigger you loose that margin considerably but you do gain other things as I mentioned and in the world of any business you will still have what is considered a "good" margin.  The business as it grows needs to focus on volume and cashflow then the money is still there.

Thank you. And thanks for responding you have given us The Blueprint really love to hear things from you.

So this is a very good example you have really invested a lot of money and time advertised on TV even..massive turn over now boasting a seven-figure turnover. It's so impressive and I'm guessing from the time you had one van 2 vans 3 vans. You have pretty much only paid yourself around the higher end threshold.. Now your life is a easier so every step you took basically made your life easier.
I think it's important for people to know the bigger you get so much more expenses Mt up.

Like you say working alone big difference technically yes you're responsible for everything and you're working all the time but it's kind of comparable income wise to a salary that someone would pay himself running 3 vans or even 10 vans..

Apart from contributing tremendously to the Treasury and Society in VAT and giving people jobs. If you have only ever paid yourself up to the £50,000 per year threshold for all that work all that investment all those years of pushing and pushing. Sometimes you have to wonder with all that money and time that you put in over the decade in expanding to this point fine you have a very good business but do you ever wonder how much more money you could actually make i.e. paying yourself well over the threshold in a differnt industry or at least pushing commercial because clearly the VAT is a huge profit killer to domestic. And that's why mainly bigger companies target commercial I'm guessing.
Basically someone working alone with one van is earning the same salary as someone with 10 vans.
Someone in the sweet spot 2 vans 3 vans will be paying themselves the same amount of money £50,000. And also be able to stay off the tools.
That probably is the sweet spot.
So I guess two more vans another £160,000 turnover and you might end up paying yourself 75000 per year into the threshold am I right.

It's mind-boggling ;)

Lee Pryor

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 04:37:23 pm »
No

Down the line you pay yourself a dividend in one or more large lumps. I plan to pay myself once a year. The thresholds you are refereing to dont exist when you deal with dividends. There are a differnt set and it works differently. Please also refer back to where I said I choose to only pay myself 50k and re invest the rest. So someone with 10 vans does not earn the same as a single opperator they earn way more
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 04:46:27 pm »
you just charge vat on domestics - not rocket science

you are quite hung up on what people should or shouldn't be paying themselves - you take certain amounts you can also pay a dividend - if your on the route of expanding then it may look like your making next to nothing (although I wouldn't sniff at 5 x £200 a day without working for it)

you also can't compare other industies - some will have huge profits for what is perceived to be little outlay (international's for example)  others like engineering run on tighter margins as you have machinery, material, premises costs.

What you do get is at the end of it is a business you can sell - you can break it down into bits or sell as a going concern - this is much harder as a sole operator - likewise when retiring you can sell or leave it running you could always leave it as inheritance

If you want to (like Daz) carry on working on the glass in your 60's and 70's then its a that persons choice - its all down to lifestyle and the future not just what your being paid today

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Crystal-clear

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 04:53:29 pm »
Lee the dividend Your Company will pay corporation tax due you get £2,000 tax free then it's 7 and a half percent up to the threshold of £50,000 personal earnings your company will always pay corporation tax rate on dividends which works out cheaper than paying yourself a salary after 12500. Depending if you haven't got any extra income.
Yes it's two different tax systems but essentially you pay yourself up to £50,000 with the divs. Sorry that's what I meant.
Then it's best to transfer it back to the business as a loan if you don't need it because one day down the line you may need more money  and you could end up paying a lot more tax if you have a lot of surplus. But anyhow at a large operation. An establishment with 3 vans in the same industry would be paying themselves the same system.
I know you could pay more and you choose not to but also you're not making as much profit as some people may think. So venturing out into that additional tax bracket will be costly and isn't worth it in your perspective at least

Dry Clean

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 04:55:00 pm »
As Iv pointed out many times there's a reason why we don't have a Virgin, Amazon or Tesco window cleaning, there just isn't enough profit in manual labour alone which is all we sell, L P is a good example, he works in an area where a one man band can do £85k to £95k but him with 14 employees would be lucky to have double that after all is paid out, remember this doesn't include his over inflated advertising spending that still has to paid back before a single penny in profit is made, this could also take years.
I do think if LP was a better business person he could have done it cheaper and been in profit a lot quicker but the end result would have been similar.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 04:59:41 pm »
you just charge vat on domestics - not rocket science

I think it's quite difficult necessarily to up the prices lees charging £16 for a three bedroom semi there's a reason for that because of competition. Some do charge more but some charge less. Ultimately it is a hit or you could potentially lose work. You can't charge the  VAT you like you can on commercial unfortunately ;( so if £16 is a price match for everyone pretty much roughly speaking sole traders as well you are technically taking a hit on the VAT where as if it was commercial you can charge plus VAT and they won't care.

you are quite hung up on what people should or shouldn't be paying themselves - you take certain amounts you can also pay a dividend - if your on the route of expanding then it may look like your making next to nothing (although I wouldn't sniff at 5 x £200 a day without working for it) no totally not hang up at all I'm just saying it's a lot of work you're saying you're not working for it but you are always responsible for many things. I suppose looking at it from that angle I see your point yes of course from a smaller scale as well. It requires a lot of commitment work and Investment to get to that stage and some years as well. Most 10 years plus hard work. Others stay self employed for 10 years
Can under same money and if they play their Cards Right invest in different businesses or even property for basically the same security that this business can in the long run.

you also can't compare other industies - some will have huge profits for what is perceived to be little outlay (international's for example)  others like engineering run on tighter margins as you have machinery, material, premises costs.

What you do get is at the end of it is a business you can sell - you can break it down into bits or sell as a going concern - this is much harder as a sole operator - likewise when retiring you can sell or leave it running you could always leave it as inheritance

If you want to (like Daz) carry on working on the glass in your 60's and 70's then its a that persons choice - its all down to lifestyle and the future not just what your being paid today

Certainly agree with the last two paragraphs 100% and I was aware before I mentioned I said obviously you have time and many other benefits but I thought I would just break down the profit today as some people perceive a massive turnover as mainly profit the way they see profit working alone .
Darran

Crystal-clear

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 05:01:55 pm »
As Iv pointed out many times there's a reason why we don't have a Virgin, Amazon or Tesco window cleaning, there just isn't enough profit in manual labour alone which is all we sell, L P is a good example, he works in an area where a one man band can do £85k to £95k but him with 14 employees would be lucky to have double that after all is paid out, remember this doesn't include his over inflated advertising spending that still has to paid back before a single penny in profit is made, this could also take years.
I do think if LP was a better business person he could have done it cheaper and been in profit a lot quicker but the end result would have been similar.
It's a very good point regarding the mainstream window cleaning why don't exist

Ooooooog

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 05:27:55 pm »

You forgetting (unless I’ve missed it) the value that you’re adding to the business by growing it.
I pay myself f all but put it all back in and grow the business so I can flog it and sod off to the Barbados ASAP.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 05:31:02 pm »

You forgetting (unless I’ve missed it) the value that you’re adding to the business by growing it.
I pay myself f all but put it all back in and grow the business so I can flog it and sod off to the Barbados ASAP.
I'm guessing you've looked into entrepreneurial relief ;)

Shrek

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 05:55:08 pm »
Really? Do you pay 7.5% on dividends? My useless accountant hasn’t even mentioned this even though I’m paying 40% ffs

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 07:24:17 pm »
I thought about all this not long ago after doing the sums and like you say to take home a pre tax profit for yourself of say 50 - 80k after all expenses and running costs etc etc takes quite a lot of vans and a hell of a lot of hassle.

Personally having tried for the last year to take the leap to employing and getting a second van out etc have decided its not worth it at all and that i could do 80k turnover myself without the need for a load of staff and headaches.

But it wont be done soley from window cleaning, at least not unless you live in a very good area price wise or if you want to have a life and not work 7 days a week.

So i think its time to think outside the box for me and look into other avenues of making money. I think its easy to think being a window cleaner in order to make more money it needs to be in window cleaning or related services, after all its what we know but theres a big world outside window cleaning with endless amounts of business opportunitys.

i think its worth pointing out also that just because Lee can do a million turnover with 12 vans or whatever it is that doesnt apply all over the UK. some parts you may be only 500k turnover with 12 vans, so do the math on that and your take home probably doesnt beat a sole trader guy by much if at all. Of course you dont have to clean windows just send other guys out which on the face of it sounds great... BUT sitting at home and having a guy out working can be worse, sometimes you just think id be better off doing it myself than dealing with there f ups, scheduling, customers and having to micro manage them.

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 07:33:32 pm »
I thought about all this not long ago after doing the sums and like you say to take home a pre tax profit for yourself of say 50 - 80k after all expenses and running costs etc etc takes quite a lot of vans and a hell of a lot of hassle.

Personally having tried for the last year to take the leap to employing and getting a second van out etc have decided its not worth it at all and that i could do 80k turnover myself without the need for a load of staff and headaches.

But it wont be done soley from window cleaning, at least not unless you live in a very good area price wise or if you want to have a life and not work 7 days a week.

So i think its time to think outside the box for me and look into other avenues of making money. I think its easy to think being a window cleaner in order to make more money it needs to be in window cleaning or related services, after all its what we know but theres a big world outside window cleaning with endless amounts of business opportunitys.

i think its worth pointing out also that just because Lee can do a million turnover with 12 vans or whatever it is that doesnt apply all over the UK. some parts you may be only 500k turnover with 12 vans, so do the math on that and your take home probably doesnt beat a sole trader guy by much if at all. Of course you dont have to clean windows just send other guys out which on the face of it sounds great... BUT sitting at home and having a guy out working can be worse, sometimes you just think id be better off doing it myself than dealing with there f ups, scheduling, customers and having to micro manage them.

Eggs in different baskets- look at making passive income instead of grafting every hour for it

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 07:37:56 pm »
Really? Do you pay 7.5% on dividends? My useless accountant hasn’t even mentioned this even though I’m paying 40% ffs

7.5 % up to the higher tax threshold i believe...

first 2k of dividends are tax free then onto the 7.5% rate

Some accountants are useless, dont believe everything they tell you. Im sure ive told my accountant more than theyve told me, dont take what they tell you as gospel always double check.

Im sacking mine after theyve done my return, too expensive and thick as pig muck.

Shrek

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 07:46:32 pm »
I do my return soon after April 5th so he’s just sent it back and the payment on account this year is ridiculous. Not only that he’s doubled this years bill . I’m defo sacking him this year , iv got an appointment with someone else in a week to see what they can do for me

Ascjim

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 08:58:18 pm »
I have 1 van out full time with 2 people.  They normally do £495.00 + VAT per day. £110.00 each in wages, £200 for me leaves £75.00 per day for everything else and the rest stays in the bank.

If render cleaning some flats or some big building that figure can go up. Some render cleaning days you can do £800.00 per day.

We only do gutter and render cleans and some pressure washing, min charge £84.00 + VAT.

I used to have 4 vans, 3 on a domestic window round and the other doing gutters and render.  Plus office staff and yard etc.

The window cleaning vans used to do around £380.00 per day while the gutter van done over £500.00.

I got rid of everyone, plus yard and kept two vans. One is out full time and other I use to do quotes. I get paid more now then I did before and semi retired at 32.

I thought having a big business with lots of staff was the goal, but when I got it I realised it wasn't what I wanted, it's what society thinks you should do.

I read all the 'self help' books by Napoleon Hill, Brain Tracey, Dale Carnegie and so on. At one point I was just like Lee Pryors, thinking that 'my / his' way was the right and only way and that anyone can do it if they put their minds to it. But it's a load of rubbish, it's what society has 'sold' to you and your a mug if you follow it.

Now I work 2-3 hours in the morning and paint / draw in the afternoons. I chose that, not society.

One book I still follow is the 4 Hour work week. Without this I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing.

Slacky

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 09:08:28 pm »
Love that ‘I chose that, not society’.

Could’ve come out of Trainspotting.

Choose Life...

Dry Clean

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 09:45:11 pm »

If you had half a million to invest would you invest it in a window cleaning business or bricks and mortar ? lets be honest no matter how big we get all we have to sell is a list of customers or potential customers to a new owner.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 11:51:50 pm »
What would half a million get you in property to invest in? Here in Bristol you might get a pair of ex council house semi's or three 2 bed flats. Your income would probably be about 2K a month before expenses assuming constant unbroken rental income.

Hopefully the value of the property would increase over time too.
It's a game of three halves!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 09:51:04 am »
I have 1 van out full time with 2 people.  They normally do £495.00 + VAT per day. £110.00 each in wages, £200 for me leaves £75.00 per day for everything else and the rest stays in the bank.

If render cleaning some flats or some big building that figure can go up. Some render cleaning days you can do £800.00 per day.

We only do gutter and render cleans and some pressure washing, min charge £84.00 + VAT.

I used to have 4 vans, 3 on a domestic window round and the other doing gutters and render.  Plus office staff and yard etc.

The window cleaning vans used to do around £380.00 per day while the gutter van done over £500.00.

I got rid of everyone, plus yard and kept two vans. One is out full time and other I use to do quotes. I get paid more now then I did before and semi retired at 32.

I thought having a big business with lots of staff was the goal, but when I got it I realised it wasn't what I wanted, it's what society thinks you should do.

I read all the 'self help' books by Napoleon Hill, Brain Tracey, Dale Carnegie and so on. At one point I was just like Lee Pryors, thinking that 'my / his' way was the right and only way and that anyone can do it if they put their minds to it. But it's a load of rubbish, it's what society has 'sold' to you and your a mug if you follow it.

Now I work 2-3 hours in the morning and paint / draw in the afternoons. I chose that, not society.

One book I still follow is the 4 Hour work week. Without this I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing.

Really informative. The biggest problem clearly is passing the VAT to the domestic customer and not pricing yourself out. If we have a substantial VAT threshold drop I think this could change. As all self-employed people basically need to start charging VAT.

This is what keeps your profits really low yes each van you get you are making more money but it's nowhere near as much as you did with your first van. Hypothetically if your vans were making £380 per day plus VAT that would be 460 per day would leave you 270.00 per day. It's a big difference. And when the penny drops with multiple vans and you're making basically £100 per van getting behind with work and having all the responsibilities associated staff everything. You basically realised why am I doing this...
I think the main reason is purely that you would enjoy the challenge and probably get a kick out the numbers. But when it's all said and done because the actual profit after all expenses and VAT is high no director would really pay themselves more than a sole operator.

When it comes to wanting to expand even though I have broken the above down the only thing that would interest me ongoing is purely the challenge but breaking the numbers down it is a bit disheartening and you sometimes have to wonder why people get really really big it isn't about money it's can't be some of them have been expanding for 10 years solid and never have paid themselves as substantial amount in one tax year
On and off I have also for that period of time..
10 years is a long time of your life.
I think it's purely just the challenge. However with the amount of time money stress with the psychology of this business with messers and people not knowing they want it regular until they see you next time. then being hit with a huge VAT bill that you cannot pass to the customer heavy labour costs and running costs . And all that time and effort how much more money profit do you think you could make investing in a different sort of business completely.?
If it's domestic window cleaning possibly 2 to 3 vans could be enough it's enough to pay you a handsome salary and your partner something maybe..and probably just work part time in the week physically. But to keep going from that point to continue to pay yourself the same wage because you want to keep reinvesting to get bigger and bigger.. with very very little return really currently it's like this but this will change though at some point especially when the government lower the VAT threshold so these numbers could really change.. Lee is sort of an exception done so well but For example if lee was to charge plus VAT on all his prices he really would be raking it in then..Likewise anyone else towards his level.

I think coming to terms with this currently is a bit difficult because it's something we have done most  our lives, and it's not inspiring to hear how unrewarding it could be when you get really big given the work ratio investment  and so much time and everything else.

Rather stubbornly I think I am one to challenge myself it's purely just down to wanting the challenge wanting to try and go forward because staying still isn't really for everyone as well..I do think 2 to 3 vans running full time is a good place to be so that's a good goal at that point though you would need to focus on profit any new work really needs to take that VAT into account.

Ooooooog

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 10:39:43 am »

If you had half a million to invest would you invest it in a window cleaning business or bricks and mortar ? lets be honest no matter how big we get all we have to sell is a list of customers or potential customers to a new owner.

Push for multi year contracts.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 10:53:59 am »

£500k in most parts of the country would buy 3 x 3 bed semis. Rent on those would be approx £600 each per month assuming they were always occupied (which is never actually the case). Expenses would be around £100 each per month leaving you a profit of £18,000 per year. If the properties appreciate at 3% per year, that’s an additional gain of £15k (though you can only realise that if you sell them).
So that’s around £33k per year.

How much profit will a window cleaning business valued at £500k earn? FAR more than £33k, I’d estimate that would be a 6-van business, making a profit of around £130k per year.

“lets be honest no matter how big we get all we have to sell is a list of customers or potential customers”

And?

A customer is a very valuable thing. To get a customer takes time, effort, money and skill. It has value, even if it’s not a tangible thing. A customer will generate profit for you  indefinitely. Why do you think this doesn’t have any value?

Shrek

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 11:08:33 am »
The problem which I have with rental properties is that when you are a higher rate tax payer , the robbing barstewards tax you on the gross amount instead of taking into account mortgage payments.

20% tax rate - mortgage = £300
                                 Rent = £500
                       You are taxed on £2400

40% tax rate - mortgage = £300
                                 Rent = £500
                     You are taxed on £6000

Crystal-clear

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 11:47:05 am »

£500k in most parts of the country would buy 3 x 3 bed semis. Rent on those would be approx £600 each per month assuming they were always occupied (which is never actually the case). Expenses would be around £100 each per month leaving you a profit of £18,000 per year. If the properties appreciate at 3% per year, that’s an additional gain of £15k (though you can only realise that if you sell them).

How much profit will a window cleaning business valued at £500k earn? FAR more than £33k, I’d estimate that would be a 6-van business, making a profit of around £130k per year.

“lets be honest no matter how big we get all we have to sell is a list of customers or potential customers”

And?

A customer is a very valuable thing. To get a customer takes time, effort, money and skill. It has value, even if it’s not a tangible thing. A customer will generate profit for you  indefinitely. Why do you think this doesn’t have any value?
I like your post here. A very good way of thinking about it for example on the worst case of things one of van making a profit of £25,000 per year
You would need to spend basically £400,000 on a house with in high demand area with no downtime.

I think you've answered a lot of questions it won't cost anything like like that to get one van working full-time.
Looking at it that point of view I think we're going to be ok. So maybe let's keep pushing and striving:)

By the way Shrek it's not worth buying a property with a big mortgage to make a rental profit in fact you make a loss because of the new rules. Your only hope would be to sell it hoping the market goes up which is a gamble. Government's way to encourage more first time buyers and less investor's

Stoots

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 01:02:52 pm »
What would half a million get you in property to invest in? Here in Bristol you might get a pair of ex council house semi's or three 2 bed flats. Your income would probably be about 2K a month before expenses assuming constant unbroken rental income.

Dont invest in bristol then.

You could get 10 flats or small terraces in some parts of the country or half a dozen ex council semis

Stoots

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 01:13:16 pm »
Whatever way you look at it the system is setup so that if you try to make money you hand  over half of in tax.

Maybe those claiming benefits, living in free accommodation and doing a bit "on the side" have the right idea.

Dry Clean

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 02:30:43 pm »

And?

I like your post here. A very good way of thinking about it for example on the worst case of things one of van making a profit of £25,000 per year
You would need to spend basically £400,000 on a house with in high demand area with no downtime.

I think you've answered a lot of questions it won't cost anything like like that to get one van working full-time.
Looking at it that point of view I think we're going to be ok. So maybe let's keep pushing and striving:)

By the way Shrek it's not worth buying a property with a big mortgage to make a rental profit in fact you make a loss because of the new rules. Your only hope would be to sell it hoping the market goes up which is a gamble. Government's way to encourage more first time buyers and less investor's

Its not about making money in the short term its about the end result, I have a number of properties that are all being paid for by my tenants, at this moment in time I get very little if any return if any on them, I will reap the benefits once they are paid for.
There are risks with all investments, 15 years back a bad tenant could have made my life very hard but I still would prefer to take this risk  to buying a list of window cleaning customers.
Taxes can be high especially if you go to sell a property but as with all taxes there are ways to reduce them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 02:34:00 pm »

Dont invest in bristol then.

You could get 10 flats or small terraces in some parts of the country or half a dozen ex council semis

However you would only get about £40K off of those ten properties and they would take a lot of upkeep.  10 boilers to service, 10 tenants to deal with, 10 lots of complaints to deal with, 10 lots of turnover of tenants.

And frankly, the chances of getting a bad apple tenant would increase greatly.
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 02:48:26 pm »
Crystal - while I see what you are trying to get at - you really are on the waffle - IMO you wouldn't be cut out for multi van operation - you simply look for/at everything costing you money and go down how cheap can I get something done - there comes a point when paying for something that gets done quicker is cost effective than parting around for several days trying to save a few pennies...

I have to say I can't read your posts in depth but the gist is VAT - so? you charge for vat - you also claim vat back - not as much as other industries but fuel is one of them
I may not 'make' the same as a sole operator per van - big deal that's not the aim ( im interested to know all you sole traders turning over 60 to 70k a year less your minimal expences hoe you look paying the 40p in the pound tax ? ) - thats not a dig but I don't want to pay the top rate of tax - I'd rather invest it in the biz

Staffing - covered this before - there are hiccups, but nothing more than you get yourself when dealing with the public - the more customers you have the more you have to deal with - but the % is still the same - I think you can be more aware/notice it more because when its your own error you take it on the chin reclean and move on when it's staff there is a big over reaction

Selling - it MAY be only a list of names, but they are repeating customers - your books show this and going forward its a viable biz with assets thats why it can sell for good money ( I know a guy who was brought out for nearly £600k ) from a large regional cleaning company - people pay big money for shops, post offices, etc... well they don't even have a 'list of names' you are strictly working on good will

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 02:50:00 pm »

And?

Its not about making money in the short term its about the end result, I have a number of properties that are all being paid for by my tenants, at this moment in time I get very little if any return if any on them, I will reap the benefits once they are paid for.
There are risks with all investments, 15 years back a bad tenant could have made my life very hard but I still would prefer to take this risk  to buying a list of window cleaning customers.
Taxes can be high especially if you go to sell a property but as with all taxes there are ways to reduce them.

I think the rental laws are about to change where you won't just be able to kick people out ?
Darran

Dry Clean

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 03:07:19 pm »

And?

I think the rental laws are about to change where you won't just be able to kick people out ?
Darran
Unless you are very wealthy you cant do it now which is why a bad tenant has ruined many a landlord, this will effect the big guys who have the money to get people out quickly.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 12:37:25 am »

And?

Darran

Thats right you wont be able to bring a tenancy to an end via a section 21 anymore (a no tenant fault) currently one of the biggest homeless causes. LLs have also used this as a form of revenge eviction IE if you have a tenant who is complaining about upkeep in the past just give them a section 21 and get someone less fussy simples....
however special rules apply such as landlord wanting to move in or sell the property proof will be required
The proposed changes will have to go through a consultation process,so its not just yet. however Scotland i think already has something similar in place which is more then likely putting resi investors off.guess its a good thing for first time buyers since investors are pumping money into rentals driving prices up. Being a domestic landlord isn't really worth the paper it was once upon a time.... so lets focus on work roll on Monday  :D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 01:11:02 am »
Sometimes it pays to look after your tenants 😉  I have wonderful tenants...but then again they have a wonderful landlord, works both ways.

Smudger

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 08:42:49 am »
Sometimes it pays to look after your tenants 😉  I have wonderful tenants...but then again they have a wonderful landlord, works both ways.

Just like employing and getting to 12 vans  ;D

Darran