Crystal-clear

Scary DPF second hand van filters?
« on: May 08, 2019, 01:58:04 pm »
When you come across a second-hand van 2 or 3 years old it's half price from new probably around £10,000 but you hear about these DPF issues and if the van hasn't been run on the motor way given the fact that second-hand you don't actually know anything about it. I was told to avoid it and go for vans around 5 years old with no DPF if you're buying second-hand if you're buying new then it's ok..
Obviously being practical saving half of the cost but only 3 years old to me makes a lot of sense
But now this completely deterred me
thoughts about what I'm saying I've heard it can cost in the thousands to get fixed

dd

Re: Scary DPF second hand van filters?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 02:39:42 pm »
Apparently on diesel cars from 2009 they were compulsory, not sure if same applies to vans.

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:09:26 pm »
When you come across a second-hand van 2 or 3 years old it's half price from new probably around £10,000 but you hear about these DPF issues and if the van hasn't been run on the motor way given the fact that second-hand you don't actually know anything about it. I was told to avoid it and go for vans around 5 years old with no DPF if you're buying second-hand if you're buying new then it's ok..
Obviously being practical saving half of the cost but only 3 years old to me makes a lot of sense
thoughts about what I'm saying I've heard it can cost in the thousands to get fixed

If I put my old Motor trader hat on I would be pricing a used van assuming that you may have to replace or service the DFP filter shortly after purchase.

If a customer wanted to trade a 1998 - 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2 then the sales manager reduced the trade-in price by £400 with the knowledge that there were a batch of these engines that Fiat machined incorrectly. The dealers knew that the reason for them being traded in was due to the car blowing head gaskets. Fiat refused to accept there was a problem even when there clearly was.

Its the same principle if you were buying a used 4040 r/o. The price I pay for it would reflect having to replace filters and the membrane unless I could see and convince myself that the membrane is performing to spec.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Crystal-clear

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:25:01 pm »

If I put my old Motor trader hat on I would be pricing a used van assuming that you may have to replace or service the DFP filter shortly after purchase.

If a customer wanted to trade a 1998 - 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2 then the sales manager reduced the trade-in price by £400 with the knowledge that there were a batch of these engines that Fiat machined incorrectly. The dealers knew that the reason for them being traded in was due to the car blowing head gaskets. Fiat refused to accept there was a problem even when there clearly was.

Its the same principle if you were buying a used 4040 r/o. The price I pay for it would reflect having to replace filters and the membrane unless I could see and convince myself that the membrane is performing to spec.

Cheers sounds sensible ..I heard the servicing of the DPF can be excessive .
Having to take this into consideration is a concern

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 04:17:02 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it  they can be cleaned or even removed with ECU delete and it will still pass it's MOT. You can also use fuel additives to boost burn-off with great results these days.
Comfortably Numb!

robert mitchell

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 04:27:52 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it  they can be cleaned or even removed with ECU delete and it will still pass it's MOT. You can also use fuel additives to boost burn-off with great results these days.

Removing a dpf is illegal .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 04:32:49 pm »

Removing a dpf is illegal .

So is driving over the speed limit.
Comfortably Numb!

Ooooooog

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:32:19 pm »
Is it illegal?
The garage I bought a van from removed it without me asking. Has passed MOT since.

dd

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 05:37:11 pm »
If it has been removed or tampered with it is an MOT fail. Luckily my van is old enough not to have one.

robert mitchell

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 06:00:54 pm »
Is it illegal?
The garage I bought a van from removed it without me asking. Has passed MOT since.

Yes , since 2014 , the wording has changed to make it easier to fail a vehicle for this reason , if it looks like it has been tampered with for instance cut and re-welded they can fail it.

robert mitchell

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 06:04:03 pm »
Fine of upto £2500 for driving without one on a vehicle that was originally fitted with one, lots of people have been caught , wouldnt risk it myself .

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 06:10:51 pm »
my DPF cleans itself....mines come on twice since new(just over 2 years old)whilst driving,i very rarely do long drives or motorway driving.......
price higher/work harder!

Ooooooog

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 06:21:26 pm »
Fine of upto £2500 for driving without one on a vehicle that was originally fitted with one, lots of people have been caught , wouldnt risk it myself .

How much is a replacement? It may well be worth the risk.

robert mitchell

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 07:16:54 pm »

How much is a replacement? It may well be worth the risk.
[/quote

Varies depending on vehicle but 3-6 hundred is average for an aftermarket replacement.

Spotfree

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 08:09:23 am »

I had mine regenerated for around £400.

I take it for short motorway runs a couple of times per month usually 10 or so minutes and its fine.

The garage said its going to cost around £1000-£1200 to replace.

Scrimble

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 09:07:47 am »
typical poor persons mentality, ignore the fear and buy a brand new van

buy a new van for 10k sell it after 5 years for 5k, lose 5k

or buy a 5k van and fork out for repairs and its scrap after another 5 years costing you more than a brand new van. the saving money is actually costing you money.

this is my expereience

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 10:23:43 am »

or buy a 5k van and fork out for repairs and its scrap after another 5 years costing you more than a brand new van. the saving money is actually costing you money.

this is my expereience

My experience though is the opposite.
Comfortably Numb!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 01:04:55 pm »

this is my expereience

My experience though is the opposite.

i Agree Wolfgang sometimes you can buy new and in year 3 kaboom... othertimes you can buy a £2000 van and have it for 10 years
some people had a great time with new vans others it turned into a nightmare i have often seen new vans in garages myself and on the road side being rescued.
Funds Aren't a problem. but we are in this game to make a profit all well and good buying a new van but is it really required?
after 2 years you have lost around 50% of the book price on a private sale

prefer to look at the middle ground 2 years old with 1-2 years warranty left gives you some security and you haven't spent out stupidly high.
but all the Dpf stuff needs to be considered as some wont cover that.

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 03:40:29 pm »
If you have a vehicle with the addblue system, does it still have a dpf filter?

dd

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 04:44:05 pm »
If you look at some of the deals available on new vans it makes buying a 2 year old van pointless to me, you don't save much.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 08:45:55 pm »
If you look at some of the deals available on new vans it makes buying a 2 year old van pointless to me, you don't save much.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902225192717?year-to=2018&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=cr43nf&maximum-mileage=80000&year-from=2018&make=FORD&sort=supplied-price-asc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_vans&wheelbase=SWB&model=TRANSIT%20CUSTOM&page=1

2018 Customs at 11,500+vat  Still has almost 2 years warranty left selling for around 20k+ vat  new or so if i'm not mistaken .
9k is quite alot for a year imo.

dd

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 08:46:51 am »
You don't have to buy a transit custom though. There will be good deals around on other new vans, a lot less than £20k.

dd

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 08:50:45 am »
On the cars2buy website there is a new 2.0hdi dispatch for £14,295 + Vat.

dd

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 08:57:20 am »
They also have a new Custom 300 at £16k.