Tom-01

Re: Starting from scratch again.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:43 pm »
Its not as easy as it was.

Much more competitive, seems like every other van i see is a window cleaner.

Not much other options out there now with the cost of living the way it is and lack of decent career prospects now with most  jobs.

I don’t agree - people were saying this 9 years ago when I started out , and nearly every year since - there maybe more visible signs of other windy’s but lots don’t last and it’s easy to set up, get a van, drive about. The key is getting work and most wont door knock thinking the work will come to them - so actively canvass and it will work and grow

Darran

Very true Smudger.

I do see more vans about and know personally guys who have set up recently, but they are all over the place and struggle getting decent work.

I am off the poles now after my shoulder operation, and this month I started actively getting new work in by canvassing. I'm targeting specific areas where we already have work, a few hours a week so far. The results have surprised me and I'm really enjoying it now my mindset has changed with what my role is.

elite mike

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 09:31:06 pm »
Thought you were on hols Daz ?

I am.....the  internet still works in lanzarote mate! :)
Just got back from Lanzarote   ;D .
where are you staying ?

Timanfaya palace hotel Playa Blanca mike.....this place is so chilled out....having a great time.... 8)

Hi Daz , would you recommend this hotel and whats the food like ?

NWH

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 10:28:27 pm »
Good luck just bear in mind when your looking for work that you don’t just knock or leaflet on doors you know  that are taken by fellow WCleaners though eh there’s a good lad.

deeege

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 07:53:13 am »
Good luck just bear in mind when your looking for work that you don’t just knock or leaflet on doors you know  that are taken by fellow WCleaners though eh there’s a good lad.

And how on earth would he know that?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:33:26 am »
My so called paranoia had been proved to be correct,a fellow WCleaner I know and have given work to and that has actually done work with-for me was knocking and canvassing a road he knows I’ve done and still am doing for years. Some people go out knocking knowing full well the houses are already cleaned by there so called window cleaning m8s hoping to steal the jobs under there noses,I meet some decent blokes who clean windows day to day but I also meet some complete arseholes I’ve helped out in the past.

NWH

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 09:38:36 am »
I know all is fair in love and war but as I’ve said in the past about employing trust no one in this game,there’s working to build a business then there’s trying to steal one. This guy actually knows I clean certain work in certain area,complete scum trying to take food out of my mouth while I’m still chewing it.

Smudger

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 10:15:13 am »
Are you saying this guy is trying to ‘steal’ your work or are you just generalising?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »
A guy I’ve done quiet a few favours for work wise over the years I’m talking about ,he’s been leafleting and knocking on  some of my customers doors. There’s 1 particular house he’s tried I actually took him too it to show him how WFP worked lol,honestly there is no loyalty in this world these days.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 12:36:10 pm »
I don’t help out other local windies. They’re the competition.

NWH

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 12:40:57 pm »
I have certain work when 2 vans are needed I don’t expect anyone that I’ve helped out to turn round and start canvassing an area or a particular road they know I clean,that is below the belt imo.

deeege

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 01:53:12 pm »
I have certain work when 2 vans are needed I don’t expect anyone that I’ve helped out to turn round and start canvassing an area or a particular road they know I clean,that is below the belt imo.

So you lay claim to a full road or area because you clean a house or two in that area?

Get real mate.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »
i get my work canvassed and  leafleted many times over the course of a year.its been like that for years now.....dont worry about it...if your doing a good job and charging a fair price then you ll be fine......
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 06:04:09 pm »

So you lay claim to a full road or area because you clean a house or two in that area?

Get real mate.
What a belled end comment I’ve started the bloke off helped him out lent him equipment etc,the bloke is knocking on doors he’s knows I still clean. In your opinion is this right in your book,how about you give me a bed in your house and when you go to work I’ll share your bed with your Mrs is that ok,or do I need to get real you fool.

deeege

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 07:33:40 pm »

Get real mate.
What a belled end comment I’ve started the bloke off helped him out lent him equipment etc,the bloke is knocking on doors he’s knows I still clean. In your opinion is this right in your book,how about you give me a bed in your house and when you go to work I’ll share your bed with your Mrs is that ok,or do I need to get real you fool.

Not a stupid comment at all.

For starters you never said you’d started him off etc, you just talked down to the thread starter saying he should stick to your rules.

Secondly expecting anybody to avoid full roads or areas because you have a customer in the same road/area is naive at best, ridiculous at worst.

And thirdly you spout so much rubbish on here I swear your the same fella as BobbyP that used to post here.

NWH

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 07:49:47 pm »
I suggest you read previous posts m8 I said the guy used to help me out I used to lend him gutter vac etc,if I did that for you and then you went round knocking on my work knowing where I cleaned houses would you find that acceptable. If you in anyway find that ok you need to have a good look at yourself pal.

NWH

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 07:57:04 pm »
What like it’s impossible  to clean 300 quids worth of work a day lol,yeah now that’s impossible day in day out. Certain rules in this job are unwritten and 1 of em is you don’t go round canvassing work you know is cleaned by workmates,ok if the guy had got a call fair enough but come on if you think that’s ok you need have a rethink. I know where there’s a pair of dead mans shoes going if your interested one worry there free 😂

Don Kee

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 08:06:33 pm »
What like it’s impossible  to clean 300 quids worth of work a day lol,yeah now that’s impossible day in day out. Certain rules in this job are unwritten and 1 of em is you don’t go round canvassing work you know is cleaned by workmates,ok if the guy had got a call fair enough but come on if you think that’s ok you need have a rethink. I know where there’s a pair of dead mans shoes going if your interested one worry there free 😂

What the truck are you on about mate, you been drinking?

Johnny B

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2018, 10:50:15 am »
Maybe I am a complete idiot, but my way of doing things is poles apart (no pun intended) from some of you gentlemen. Here are some of my ways of working/thinking:

1. I'm 100% trad

2. I don't see other window cleaners as competition. We all have livings to make and there is enough work to go round for anyone wanting it.

3. I have helped mates of mine who are in our game, and they have helped me.

4. I have no problem at all with others canvassing my customers or areas where I have work.

5. I have even seen others canvassing where I am working and offered serious, constructive help and to encourage them to not worry about me but to carry on regardless as I don't believe anyone owns a patch and there is work out there to be had.

6. I like to get to know my customers, and them me.

7. I always give 100% to my work, and go the extra mile if asked.

It may sound crazy to some, but the above works for me as I very rarely lose a customer, and if I do, it doesn't affect me as I am busy enough for it not to have any impact.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.