jo5hm4n

Do you let your customers know?
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:13:38 pm »
So for the first few years in my business whenever i was late at all even by a day or so i would let customers know.  Every single time i went on holiday i hand dropped letters to let customers know i was going to be 1-2 weeks later than usual with my 4 weekly cleaning.

As my business started to grow i wondered if this was just way too much effort on my part.  For instance, what if i get behind due to weather in winter, or get the flu or take usual holidays.  If i train my customers to get used to having letters from me and always informing them when i am late, that will become the normal to them.

I have now decided i dont really want to do that.  Correct me if i am wrong but i feel like 90% of customers aren't even that bothered if you are 1-2 weeks late, if when they see you, you explain why you are late and its a genuine reason they are nearly always understanding.

So lads, i'm running 2 weeks behind with my work for the first time ever in my business.  What do you think i should do?  Should i phone and text every single customer explaining we are 2 weeks behind, or just carry on as normal and when i turn up on the day explain to the customer we have been behind to due weather etc.

I want my customers to realise that if for some reason i ever don't turn up when i am due for 4 weekly, they know that it is because we are behind.  But i don't really want to keep having to always tell them, potentially several times a year.

Not really sure how to go about this, wanted some feedback to see what most of you guys do regarding this.

p1w1

Re: Do you let your customers know?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:23:55 pm »
i reckon you're overthinking it mate and worrying about it to much.  If you have been cleaning these customers for years then they know your regular and reliable and as you say 99% of them won't be bothered if your a week or 2 late now and again, in fact i bet they dont even realise.
if they are really wondering where you are then they will call you and ask.

Dry Clean

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »
I think my customers would be concerned if I turned up on time, lol. people have more important things to worry about than their
windows as long as your not talking months then most wont even notice.

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:25:44 pm »
The only time i printed an explanation for all my customers was several years back and was due to having an operation which required several weeks off work. Therefore I posted a note to all my customers explaining a delay and that some fellow friends who were shiners would do them at least once before my return.
All tbe customers were understanding and appreciated knowing. Didnt loose a single one and I had 2 months off work.

That was the only time. My customers know that if i was to stop I would let them know or introduce the next person taking over to them. Therefore if im not on time and haven't done the above, they know im either ill, on holiday or more likely the weather has caused a delay.
However on my facebook page (which alot of my customers follow), i do updatemy status ie, im running a little late. So if they are truly concerned they know how to find out
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:49:55 pm »
99% of your customers won't mind if you are late, in fact some of them will see it as money saved!

Marc Stock

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:52:42 pm »
Yes I do.

Its common politeness and decency to inform your customers if you cannot make a scheduled clean. Even if they dont care too much, you are running a business and you have the responsibility to ensure your customer base is well managed and looked after.

Every one of my customers know when i am coming becouse the next clean date is on thier bill. I stick to these dates, and if i have to cancel or reschedule i do so by text.

I never just assume. So many of my customers tell me the biggest annoyances of their last window cleaner was not knowing when they were coming, and arriving when they felt like it.

I picked up one customer in January who hadnt heard from her last window cleaner  for 4 months.

Just after i had taken her on he shows up at her doorstep expecting her to let him clean, she told him " you never got back to me, when you did clean it was when we didnt know you were coming, and you made promises after promise to come back and never did"

To not inform your customers is to treat them with disrespect, and by doing so you show yourself disrespect.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:00:35 pm »
If its down to the weather of this last week then I think its self explanatory and no need for you to point out the bleeding obvious to them, they'll already have worked that out for themselves.

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 02:03:54 pm »
2 weeks behind myself.

Very rarely does anyone get upset about it, you get a few who will comment but once explained why they are fine.

You might get 1 or 2 over the years who dump you for it, its not worth worrying about for a week or, if its going to be a month ok you probably should inform them all if off ill etc. But for a 1-2 week holiday, 9/10 wont say a word about it.

I think a lot of it is how you set your stall out from the start, if you run like clockwork to the exact day for years then they will notice.

Although im 4 weekly, all my customers are used to me getting round in 4-5 weeks so im almost always late, or i have been for a good 6 months or so, thats why i took on an employee but last weeks weather wasnt workable anyway.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 02:04:33 pm »
Yes I do.

Its common politeness and decency to inform your customers if you cannot make a scheduled clean. Even if they dont care too much, you are running a business and you have the responsibility to ensure your customer base is well managed and looked after.

Every one of my customers know when i am coming becouse the next clean date is on thier bill. I stick to these dates, and if i have to cancel or reschedule i do so by text.

I never just assume. So many of my customers tell me the biggest annoyances of their last window cleaner was not knowing when they were coming, and arriving when they felt like it.

I picked up one customer in January who hadnt heard from her last window cleaner  for 4 months.

Just after i had taken her on he shows up at her doorstep expecting her to let him clean, she told him " you never got back to me, when you did clean it was when we didnt know you were coming, and you made promises after promise to come back and never did"

To not inform your customers is to treat them with disrespect, and by doing so you show yourself disrespect.

Your making a rod for your own back IMO.....

no need to inform customers if your only a week or two late.....if your off for longer then yes inform them...

Your creating more work for yourself that aint necessary.....

I'm usually bang on time and very rarely get behind(apart from the usual holidays)and the occasional bad weather days....

The last time I informed them was when I torn my ankle ligaments a few years ago and was off for nearly a month...

Other than that most customers don't even notice(or care)if it's a week or so....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 02:08:47 pm »
I'm certainly not showing my  customers 'disrespect' by not informing them I'm a week late..... ::)roll........

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »
2 weeks behind myself.

Very rarely does anyone get upset about it, you get a few who will comment but once explained why they are fine.

You might get 1 or 2 over the years who dump you for it, its not worth worrying about for a week or, if its going to be a month ok you probably should inform them all if off ill etc. But for a 1-2 week holiday, 9/10 wont say a word about it.

I think a lot of it is how you set your stall out from the start, if you run like clockwork to the exact day for years then they will notice.

Although im 4 weekly, all my customers are used to me getting round in 4-5 weeks so im almost always late, or i have been for a good 6 months or so, thats why i took on an employee but last weeks weather wasnt workable anyway.

No excuses for getting behind now Adam.... ;D

You should be bang on time now u have an employee.more money earnt,less dirt to clean off the windows...thats how it should be....

Marc Stock

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 02:13:52 pm »
Hey its just my opinion Dazmond  8)

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 02:31:25 pm »
If ive made prior arrangements with a customer and not able to keep it, then yes I do.
But Marc sounds like hes making more hard work for himself. My customers know I come every 4 weeks but that's not on a specific date., because anything can happen within 4wks. So i can understand why he does so, BUT it sounds more hard work than is needed.
I have customers who I text the night before for their gates to be open and thats enough to give heads up.  Very rarely does it back fire! So apart from that, customers have a guide for when i will show up and if im running late usually common sense will let them know why
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Marc Stock

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 03:13:53 pm »
Its not hard work simply telling customers what the next clean date it. I still dont understand.

Maybe im just very very weird.

;D ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »
Its not hard work simply telling customers what the next clean date it. I still dont understand.

Maybe im just very very weird.

;D ;D

Its just that for my thinking, anything can go wrong in those four weeks or whatever duration you have.  The van could break down or someone could run into the back of you.  You could fall ill or take a turn for the worse.  Or simply have some days off for the snow for instance and you have to reschedule and let them all know.   
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

jo5hm4n

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 04:28:07 pm »
Have taken all your comments into consideration and decided apart from 1 or 2 customers who i know are picky i'm not informing any of my customers that i will be 2 weeks late.  I will explain on the day, and ofcourse text the access ones the night before anyway.  Let's see if i lose any customers at all.  This to me is a test to see how much my customers do notice and care if i am behind at all, even though as you have said, most people will realise because of the weather that has been all over the UK.

Let's see what happens, will report back in a month to inform if i lost any customers or if i had many that were upset that i was late  ;)

robbo333

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:38:33 pm »
I clean every 8 weeks and on very rare occasions it can run into 10 weeks for the odd customer.
I contact my customers the day before to get access.
I get the odd one say 'is it that time already?'   ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Tom-01

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 04:51:23 pm »
Yes I do.

I think you'll have to re-think that mate when you start employing!

Tom-01

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »
Have taken all your comments into consideration and decided apart from 1 or 2 customers who i know are picky i'm not informing any of my customers that i will be 2 weeks late.  I will explain on the day, and ofcourse text the access ones the night before anyway.  Let's see if i lose any customers at all.  This to me is a test to see how much my customers do notice and care if i am behind at all, even though as you have said, most people will realise because of the weather that has been all over the UK.

Let's see what happens, will report back in a month to inform if i lost any customers or if i had many that were upset that i was late  ;)

You'll probably get 90% of them saying: "Oh is it that time already?" Seriously the majority of them have no idea when we're due.

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 04:54:09 pm »
2 weeks behind myself.

No excuses for getting behind now Adam.... ;D

You should be bang on time now u have an employee.more money earnt,less dirt to clean off the windows...thats how it should be....

Well i will be soon mate, i was 2 weeks behind when i took him on (hes only done two weeks) at first we wernt making any more than i would solo as you would expect but last couple of days with him ive noticed a good increase in his speed.

Then i got to just 1 week behind, then last week struck and im back to two weeks 

Not too bothered its plenty for us to go at and am eager to get stuck in after been bored to tears this last week   >:(