Slacky

Re: One Off/Builders clean advice
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 09:08:48 am »
What ever price you are thinking of, triple it.

Threes not enough, 5.

Slacky

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 09:12:07 am »
I did a builders clean just before Christmas, I was there for 7 days in total. It was a refurb really I guess, direct with the owner.

I charged her £2,250, regularly the same work will be £450.

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 10:29:15 am »
It has always amazed me when developers etc have a big job coming to the end , and then want to have a professional clean done but are so reluctant to pay for the service.
All of us at some time have taken on these types of job and almost always there a pain.
It's either working round lots of other trades who are all flying around getting there last bits done, or some windows can't be done till later as something like snagging has to be done first, then there is lunch breaks where everyone parks there backsides down in a room just when you want to get in there!
Then someone wants to borrow a piece of equipment, it goes on.
As has already been said you need a day off to get over it.
Lots of good advice has been given out already,.
The pay can be good but for me it really does have to be worthwhile over good scheduled work.
Like Daz I prefer any easier life.

Steve

P @ F

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 10:56:14 am »
Builders cleans are what introduced me to window cleaning the first time , i was left without a job , just needed money coming in and this came up so took it , they were called Yeo Valley Services and did for the likes of Persimon and Redrow , we had to go all over the Southwest getting in just before the snaggers came , back then nobody covered anything up , it was a total nightmare .
Render all over , taping had been left to bake on , scaffold was down early or they turned up while you were stood on it !
And this was all done at £40/£50 a house regardless of size , pretty much every job had a glass claim against them , i dont see how they made any money .
In the end they took my van away as i was using it weekends to start my domestics off , luckily i had enough to leave .
I havent done one since and never would , you have to price so high to make it worth it you normally dont get it .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

jo5hm4n

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 11:14:02 am »
Spoke to the manager on site.  He told me about the Penalty Clauses, and the deadline and what was involved.  Mixture of using cherrypickers, mansafe systems and cleaning on roofs.  Most of which we dont have training for.

I just told them it was a project that unfortunately we could not take on.

Actually feeling pretty happy i turned it down, was stressing me out just thinking about doing it.

Already stacked with work until March anyway, so really dont need the added hassle!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 11:16:50 am »
Is it the same email I had from Llandudno?? The convent!

Yeah it is!!  I was really thinking about doing it, but after sleeping on it last night and speaking to the contract manager today, i decided it was too big of a job too take on as there is cherrypicker work and mansafe systems/harnesses and some roof work aswell.  Contract clause was £10,000 per week if the work gets behind which he said i would be responsible for if the cleaning wasn't completed on time!!!!  Don't think so, i'm happy to stick to most of my easy domestic work.

In any case im stacked with work, don't know about you mate but ive had literally tons of new customers come in since January 1st dont know whats going on.

Are you thinking about taking on the Llandudno job?  If you are good luck and i really do mean that.

Slacky

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 11:46:42 am »
Contract clause? Screw that.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 01:06:23 pm »
...you ve dodged a bullet there methinks....... ;D
price higher/work harder!

DeLuce

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »
Totally agree with you there Daz,
What a pain that job would be!!!
If you have plenty of work, then it's a good decision to avoid that job.
Domestic work is usually straight forward, go, clean, customer pays (or later online),drive away, next job.....
With these kind of commercial jobs, you can also wait for ages to be paid!!
Good decision I reckon Josh👍🏼

jo5hm4n

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 03:15:58 pm »
...you ve dodged a bullet there methinks....... ;D

Yeah that's i'm thinking :P  Now counting my blessings for having straight forward domestic work.  Thanks for the advice

Splash & dash

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 03:44:47 pm »

Yeah it is!!  I was really thinking about doing it, but after sleeping on it last night and speaking to the contract manager today, i decided it was too big of a job too take on as there is cherrypicker work and mansafe systems/harnesses and some roof work aswell.  Contract clause was £10,000 per week if the work gets behind which he said i would be responsible for if the cleaning wasn't completed on time!!!!  Don't think so, i'm happy to stick to most of my easy domestic work.

In any case im stacked with work, don't know about you mate but ive had literally tons of new customers come in since January 1st dont know whats going on.

Are you thinking about taking on the Llandudno job?  If you are good luck and i really do mean that.

Sensible decision to walk away from that we have all the qualifications and training but wouldn’t work for firms like that as they pay is minimum wage better off doing a few plastic cleans or building up regular customers for your self  also don’t like paddling through ankle deep mud !!!!!😂😂😂😂

paul alan

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 05:00:41 pm »

No mate...didn't even consider it!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 05:49:09 pm »
And when you've done the job really well and you put in your invoice you have that lovely feeling as you wait to get paid.

And sometimes wait ... and wait ... and wait ... and wait ...

And then you chase the accounts dept who promise to get back to you.

And you wait.

Then you chase them again and they mumble something about speaking to the manager and they're "restructuring".

And you wait.

Then you get a letter from the administrators telling you there is no money and if there is you'll get 11p in the pound if and only if the workers get their wages, the HMRC get their tax and VAT, the bank gets the directors houses and you might as well whistle pal.
It's a game of three halves!

Steve Newres

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 06:03:36 pm »
And when you've done the job really well and you put in your invoice you have that lovely feeling as you wait to get paid.

And sometimes wait ... and wait ... and wait ... and wait ...

And then you chase the accounts dept who promise to get back to you.

And you wait.

Then you chase them again and they mumble something about speaking to the manager and they're "restructuring".

And you wait.

Then you get a letter from the administrators telling you there is no money and if there is you'll get 11p in the pound if and only if the workers get their wages, the HMRC get their tax and VAT, the bank gets the directors houses and you might as well whistle pal.
Ever the optimist. Mind you, I wouldn’t touch it. Way outside my simple comfort zone.

Klean07

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 12:53:45 pm »
Once bitten twice shy for me last one that I did the builder tried to blame me for some scratched windows that were already scratched before I started! It's a good job that I took a close up picture of every window that I was asked to clean before I started job!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Johnny B

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 01:55:11 pm »
I do the occasional builders' type clean for the owner but would never do them for a large building company. They're a headache enough doing the cleaning without the potential risk of paying the builders thousands for the privilege!

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »
Every builder's clean I've done has been a PITA,, often about issues not directly related to the cleaning.
I did my most recent one about three years ago.  I promised myself it would be the last.

markymark

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:09 pm »
My last builders clean was last summer  - I've dabbled before if I was ahead of my work at the time but after this last lot never again. Every (and I mean EVERY) window had the tape baked on, brick and render covering each pane, snots everywhere. Most glass had silicon on. Then there's working with other trades who have a strange hierarchy of their own and guess what - cleaners of any type are bottom feeders. And mostly treated like that. Had a few cross words with one particular bloke who thought being a spark made him top of the pile. (If he was that good he wouldn't be someone's employee -
 Carillion, so who's laughing now  ;D )
Finally there's the endless demands placed on the way you work and cover they want you to have. And the way you are expected to work to a price (minimum wage) yet produce a perfect result. And then wait for your invoice to make its way through the Byzantine accounts department.
Sooooo.... yeah. Not worth any of the hassle. Even if the agent agreed to a suitable rate it simply wouldn't be as good as the easy life on domestics  8)
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.